986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Intermittent stalling when hot / after re-fuel (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82410)

Robert986 07-16-2022 12:03 PM

Intermittent stalling when hot / after re-fuel

I just had a long track day, alltogether the car ran for approx 200 minutes, basically flat out :-)
After about 2/3 of the day I had to re-fuel, after this the engine sometimes just shut off for 1-2-3 seconds at a time. Totally shut off, nut just hesitated or lost ignition on a separate cyl.

I wonder if this somehow could point to a bad crank shaft position sensor? I have actually had the exact same issue at a previous tack day, also the the car was really hot, I had just re-fueled when it started.
After some cooling down I could drive home without no issues at all.

986S 2003, all ideas are very appreciated!

Robert986 07-21-2022 10:11 AM

So today at the hottest day at the year 33 degree celcius it started stalling again. I'll order a sensor and see if it solves this issue.

blue62 07-21-2022 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert986 (Post 647819)
So today at the hottest day at the year 33 degree celcius it started stalling again. I'll order a sensor and see if it solves this issue.

Let us know if a new crank sensor solves the problem.
If it does not then an issue with the "EVAP" system may be the problem.
Things like a faulty purge valve stuck open can cause hard starting after a refuel and stalling.

Robert986 07-22-2022 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue62 (Post 647820)
Let us know if a new crank sensor solves the problem.
If it does not then an issue with the "EVAP" system may be the problem.
Things like a faulty purge valve stuck open can cause hard starting after a refuel and stalling.

Thanks, IŽll report back!

No real problem starting, just intermittent when driving. Did change the purge vave 2y ago so it should be ok.

Robert986 08-06-2022 04:18 AM

So, I changed the sensor, car runs fine... WeŽll see if the issue is solved, I guess so.

Was a bit tricky to reach the sensor at first until I found a good angle with my arm. The tricky part was really to release the connector, I first got it free from the fastener, then used a flat screw driver to "unclick" the connector from below.

bcrdukes 08-11-2022 12:47 PM

Robert, thanks for the update.

I'm curious whether or not you had a hard time starting the car when this happened?

Robert986 08-11-2022 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 648241)
Robert, thanks for the update.

I'm curious whether or not you had a hard time starting the car when this happened?

No, just sudden "blackouts" while driving. So far the car runs fine after the change of sensor...

bcrdukes 08-12-2022 07:17 AM

Ah, interesting.

On the odd occasion (mostly hot days) upon starting the car, it will try to start for a good 5 - 7 seconds before firing up and my heart just stops. It doesn't happen often so I'm not sure what causes it.

JFP in PA 08-12-2022 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 648248)
Ah, interesting.

On the odd occasion (mostly hot days) upon starting the car, it will try to start for a good 5 - 7 seconds before firing up and my heart just stops. It doesn't happen often so I'm not sure what causes it.

Classic CPS problem, only happens on "hot start". Look up DTC codes 0335 and 0336 for how to diagnostics to test the sensor.