986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2001Tiptronic turns over, runs and then dies (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82224)

Skullb 04-24-2022 01:25 PM

2001Tiptronic turns over, runs and then dies

Any ideas/help welcomed.
I work away and during lockdown my car stood undriven at home started ocassionally but not driven.. when I got home recently and tried to start it all was not good.
Battery is fully charged.
Turns over, fires and runs for a few seconds and then dies.

RPM movement.

Sometimes if accelerator pressed it runs for a few seconds longer and then dies😩😩

The CPS is new so ( hopefully) should not be the problem ?

Any ideas ?

stateofidleness 04-25-2022 04:02 PM

That screams fuel issue. Filter? Bad gas?

Beelzy 05-04-2022 05:15 PM

Check to see if you can hear the fuel pump prime up when you turn the key, before you start it
It will be a one second buzzing sound coming from the right side by glove box.

Skullb 05-05-2022 09:32 AM

Will do .

Thanks

Starter986 05-05-2022 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beelzy (Post 646346)
Check to see if you can hear the fuel pump prime up when you turn the key, before you start it
It will be a one second buzzing sound coming from the right side by glove box.

I'd been wondering for years what was that noise.

I love this place. :cheers:

itsnotanova 05-06-2022 07:41 PM

I'm betting fuel issue too but I did have a 996 with a bad dme that had those exact symptoms.

Skullb 05-27-2022 09:13 AM

UPDATE
Thanks to everyone on here for their invaluable help in fault finding and enabling me to finally get my porker running again.
I replaced the crank position sensor - car still had same symptoms - turns over but doesn’t fire , and when it does it dies immediately .
I put some more ( fresh ) fuel in just in case it was actually empty.- same old same old.
Got a can of MAF sensor cleaner😎 but thought I’d try the “test” I had seen on posts on this and other forums about MAF sensors i.e remove it and the car should start and run ( possibly enabling you to limp home or to a garage) - if it does start and run then possibly your MAF sensor is the problem.
Removed the MAF sensor to clean it but tried to start with the sensor removed and 😁😁😁😁😁😁yeeeeeeees. She started and runs.
Cleaned the MAF and let it dry.
Re-installed and ………no change - back to turn over fires and dies.😩😩😩
Thought to myself “ oh well at least I know to replace the MAF Sensor .- removed it again - retried without MAF sensor. yep still starts and runs - no fluke there. Decided to put the MAF sensor back the car until new one arrives - always the optimist- gave it a few more sprays with the cleaner - allowed to dry - inserted key - turned over , fired and ran like it used to .😁😁😁😁😁problem solved 👍👍👍
Of course it may be that the crank position sensor was not faulty all along But as I am not eager to repeat the polava of refitting the old one to find out , apart from a possible bench test I will assume I have a spare now.😎😎😎
Thanks to everyone for their help .
Gosh bless the internet and this forum .