Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2022, 12:15 PM   #1

Quick parts/tires review - Koni SA, Indy 500, Eibach sways

I just wanted to give some quick impressions on some parts I've installed recently on my 112000 km 1999 Boxster.

First up is the Eibach Anti-roll bars. WOW! did these ever change the car. No added harshness but did they ever reduce the understeer. Nice easy install and quality made bars. The front has one hole, the rear has 3. I put it in the middle before a track day at a smaller tighter track, and the understeer vanished with no crazy oversteer. I have since moved it to the softest setting in anticipation for a DE event at Mosport. They were $600 cdn and IMHO, worth every penny.

Next up are the Firestone Indy 500 tires. I run 18" BBS Sport Classic II's so I got a 225/40/18 up front and a 265/35/18 in the rear. I would never have considered these tires being that they are Firestone's but in doing some reading they are just rebadged Bridgestone Potenza RE003 in most other markets. I paid $1000 installed, tax in with Hunter Road Force balancing. So far, going from old Continental DWS', these tires are 100% better. Quieter, smoother and wow, the turn in is instant. Great tire for the money, I am not disappointed. I wanted Michelin Pilot 4S but stock was low and the price was considerably more. The Indy 500's are not N-rated but I won't be using them for the track as I have Hankook RS4's for that purpose.

Last is the Koni Special active dampers. These have also transformed the car. My wife loved the previous ride so I didn't want to ruin the ride with an ultra stiff setup so I went with the Koni's and used Boxster S springs front and rear. Roads I avoided before due to harshness are now no big deal. No more crashing over bumps and beautifully damped now. And at $1100 all in, I am very pleased. The ride height is higher than I had hoped for but I think it still needs to settle a bit. Also the S springs may be jacking the rear a little, we'll have to wait and see.

Just when I thought this car couldn't get any more impressive, the addition of these parts has taken it to the next level. The car sees use on the street and the track so it'll always be a compromise but overall I couldn't be happier.

Having also done the 997 shifter, Numeric shift cables are next along with the Rennline billet gas pedal and pedal covers.

I'm heading to PA on Apr 30th for the PCA swap meet and I can't wait to hit those curvy PA roads.

What a car!!

DarrenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:48 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Owner

Thanks for sharing - I'm getting Koni special active installed all around in a couple of weeks along with control arms links in the rear. Just put in roll bar bushings and links. I decided to go with Koni due to back issues. I'm looking forward to no more crashing over bumps
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:12 AM   #3

Glad to see more people pick up the Koni Special Active. I love these shocks and they don't get a lot of love outside of the aircooled crowd. I've had them for several years now and I absolutely love them and cannot recommend them enough.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:29 AM   #4

I've been running the same tire and shock combo for a while. Have been very happy with them.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:16 PM   #5

Hey DarrenD ... I'm considering swapping out the original dampers to the Koni Special Active so it good to hear the positive reviews. I'm in the GTA, where did you purchase them through ?
And416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:50 PM   #6

You can get them from Northern Performance in Burlington or JRP.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:05 PM   #7

Was lucky to get a deal on here for those Eibachs last year, nice improvement. Going to get those Indy 500s for next season. Stock dampers are good enough for a little while longer.
So happy when I bought this car that the suspension is mostly good enough the way it is. Previously I had a 944S with 450lb front springs, M030 Konis and the biggest torsion bars you could get. There was a five year gap in between but to my recollection, the stock Boxster doesn’t ride much different or less precise.
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986tate View Post
Was lucky to get a deal on here for those Eibachs last year, nice improvement. Going to get those Indy 500s for next season. Stock dampers are good enough for a little while longer.
So happy when I bought this car that the suspension is mostly good enough the way it is. Previously I had a 944S with 450lb front springs, M030 Konis and the biggest torsion bars you could get. There was a five year gap in between but to my recollection, the stock Boxster doesn’t ride much different or less precise.
They really handle well, even on stock suspension. Having had both a 944 and a Boxster, I much prefer the way the Boxster handles and rides in comparison.
DarrenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:02 AM   #9
PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenD View Post
Last is the Koni Special active dampers. These have also transformed the car. M
I think that is the biggest change. While the stabilizer bars may help with their custom settings, the dampers made a huge impact.
I was also shocked to see how soft the ride is on bumps, but then how stiff it becomes in turns. Way better support.

Have fun.

BTW, I got General G-MAX RS on 17's. Grip is great for the car's capability.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:37 AM   #10
1998 Boxster Owner

Picked up car last night. Very satisfied with the results. Also added rear track arms, no more knocking when hitting bumps.

Koni special active
Bump stops and bellows
Rear Track Arms
Sway Bar links and new bushings all around

Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote