Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2021, 07:10 AM   #1
Veteran & Boxster Padawan

Currently Available LED Fog Light Bulb?

Going to perform the well documented DRL modification on my 2001 S with factory Xenon headlights very soon.

Seeking a “currently available” LED bulb solution nothing too blue/white. Those listed in many posts (OPT7 H7 CREE XLamp LED DRL Fog Light Bulbs - 5000K Bright White) is no longer available anywhere I can find online.

Is anyone using the (SYLVANIA - H7 LED Fog Light - Premium Quality Plug and Play LED Fog Light) or have a currently available LED solution that will go well with Xenon lights?

Appreciate any current suggestions this is a great forum!

Farmlifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #2

Ok, so I did not get any feedback - purchased these from Amazon will let everyone know what I think in a few days with DRL modification.

AUTOGINE H7 LED Fog Light Bulbs, 2600 Lumens Extremely Bright 3030-SMD 64210 LED Bulbs for Auto Motorcycle Cars Trucks SUV Fog DRL Lights(6000K Xenon White)
Old 01-10-2021, 04:45 AM   #3
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Typically...

...LED bulbs do NOT work in halogen bulb reflectors.

Keep us updated on if these actually work.

Thank you.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:10 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I think you’re over estimating how many currently active users are running LED fog lights as DRLs (that bulb is close to the lens and some LEDs get real hot).

Last edited by particlewave; 01-10-2021 at 08:04 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
I have had LEDs in the fog lamp spot running as DRLs for over 5 years without ANY issues.

P-wave is correct, some LEDs get very hot, but if you use a lower power one, its not an issue. Also remember the fog light are regular halogen H-7's anyway and halogens get very hot.

Yes as 10/10 noted, LEDS don't work as well in halogen reflectors, but since DRLs don't need to project far, its not an issue anyway
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #6

Very easy overall... LEDs are brighter than I expected too cold today and too much snow on the roads for a LED heat test. Will monitor if appears hot on the lens can always undo everything back to original.

The DRL function works as reported I never noticed before the automatic leveling motors engage with turn of the key - mod or not and lights on or not tried both configurations (OEM/DRL). Got the fused add a circuit here

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CSELMO8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_tzk.Fb1YRAT3Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And tap

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQBNFI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_qAk.Fb35H0KF9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And LED

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MBNBJMF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_6Ak.FbASC7MZ2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My first 986forum modification done!
Attached Images

Last edited by Farmlifer; 01-11-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmlifer View Post
Very easy overall... LEDs are brighter than I expected too cold today and too much snow on the roads for a LED heat test. Will monitor if appears hot on the lens can always undo everything back to original.

The DRL function works as reported I never noticed before the automatic leveling motors engage with turn of the key - mod or not and lights on or not tried both configurations (OEM/DRL). Got the fused add a circuit here

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CSELMO8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_tzk.Fb1YRAT3Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And tap

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQBNFI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_qAk.Fb35H0KF9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And LED

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MBNBJMF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_6Ak.FbASC7MZ2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My first 986forum modification done!
Nice job!

You probably could have used a lower output LED as DRLs aren't really for illumination, just visibility to oncoming vehicles
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
You probably could have used a lower output LED as DRLs aren't really for illumination, just visibility to oncoming vehicles
I looked and looked these stated “1300LM output each” and stated Fog and DRL - have to see in daylight certainly bright in garage... Fingers crossed they stay cool �� thanks for the positive feedback keeps me motivated to do more to the car!

I have these from SBLED coming in the mail and will compare then decide which ones I will keep. Like I said easy enough to switch out these are only 260 lumens maybe too dim...

H7 LED Daytime Running Light Bulb - 260 Lumens
Part Number: H7-W36-DRL

Last edited by Farmlifer; 01-11-2021 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

So, just want to make sure I understand this....

...You are trading Fog Light functionality for a DRL?

Is that right?
Old 01-11-2021, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
...You are trading Fog Light functionality for a DRL?

Is that right?
Yes, I primarily drive daytime due to my night vision issues so fog lights really see little use if any... If actually foggy car will stay in the garage or just use low beams - I need these for some added visibility on two lane roads almost as bad with folks pulling out as riding on my BMW motorcycle 👀

If the 1300s stay cool I may just put these 260s in the drawer for another ride... ✅
Old 01-12-2021, 03:51 AM   #11
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

I ride also.....

....and that is why I hate DRLs.

In the old days before this stupid DRL trend, people would “see” me on my Ducati.

Now, even with my headlight modulator, people don’t notice me as much because of all the damn cars with light on.

It was never a problem. If you were on a two lane road and the visibility made it more likely that someone would pull out to pass and hit you head on because they didn’t see you, you just reached down and turned your lights on.

But this Nanny State has everyone scared of everything.

Also, I am into astronomy, and in the old days everyone could drive up to the telescopes at night and not ruin your night vision.

Now, all the damn cars have lights that can’t be turned off.

And let’s not even talk about parking under the bridge with a girl in secret.

Get off my lawn!

Old 01-13-2021, 05:50 AM   #12

“Get off my lawn” 😆 my thoughts exactly!

Never thought about that - yes, when I first started riding in the 70’s you’re right my Honda CB750 with that bright round headlight (and headers) helped people know I was coming. You did not even mention texting which drives my wife crazy when on the back - she’s been known to yell at distracted drivers as we pass and won’t ride much anymore due to too many close calls.

As for the Boxster DRLs if there is a way for me to know those 1300LM won’t do any damage in housing I might just leave it bright and visible. I can’t tell from touch along how hot is too hot I know the OEM halogen bulbs threw some heat but they were not operational all the time. 🕯
Old 01-15-2021, 05:08 AM   #13

Can’t speak to reliability for some time but I like what I saw yesterday from the SBLED even with the lower lumens. Was bright during daylight; walked down the street to replicate oncoming traffic viewpoint and could spot the car easily. Not as bright obviously but still bright with good front projection. Have not tried as fogs and probably won’t rely on that functionality...

For a DRL hack perspective LED solution, I am happy and give this bulb two thumbs up!

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-and-subminiature-bulbs/h7-led-daytime-running-light-bulb-260-lumens/1583/3660/