Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
True, good point. if I do come across them I will grab them. Fitment issues are why I was considering these

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/210111986S/long-tube-sport-header-set-986-boxster-boxster-s.html

The thinking was pay for pieces that will fit but don’t break the bank. Anybody try these?
Sorry for bumping an old thread but this was the only relevant mention to this particular header I could find on the forum.

I purchased these a few months ago and will be installing them next week. I would also like to know if anybody has taken the plunge on this set of headers.

They are very lightweight and beautifully welded, so I am looking forward to the result, but not particularly happy about the loss of the primary catalytic converter when removing the factory header.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:18 AM   #22
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
European 986s don't have a cat in the header/manifold.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread but this was the only relevant mention to this particular header I could find on the forum.

I purchased these a few months ago and will be installing them next week. I would also like to know if anybody has taken the plunge on this set of headers.

They are very lightweight and beautifully welded, so I am looking forward to the result, but not particularly happy about the loss of the primary catalytic converter when removing the factory header.
I almost purchased a set of these a few months back, my car is euro spec should be a bolt in change I would think. Looking forward to your report, I have the brombacher muffler and very pleased.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #24

I guess we'll find out the hard way next week. I'll report back.

I suppose depending on where on the fence you sit on the environmental spectrum, we've got the catalytic converter attached to the headers on North American cars. I like having them there because is drowns out the sound and the exhaust smell is not as awful. But on the other hand, it also robs the vehicle of its performance which is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

If the sound is really bad, I'll swap back to stock headers. The low rumble of the FVD Brombacher Sound exhaust is nice as-is, so I can only be optimistic and hope the headers will make it sound nicer, but not necessarily loud and obnoxious.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I guess we'll find out the hard way next week. I'll report back.

I suppose depending on where on the fence you sit on the environmental spectrum, we've got the catalytic converter attached to the headers on North American cars. I like having them there because is drowns out the sound and the exhaust smell is not as awful. But on the other hand, it also robs the vehicle of its performance which is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

If the sound is really bad, I'll swap back to stock headers. The low rumble of the FVD Brombacher Sound exhaust is nice as-is, so I can only be optimistic and hope the headers will make it sound nicer, but not necessarily loud and obnoxious.
Yeah that is where I am, want the performance but not really more sound.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:24 PM   #26
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I almost purchased a set of these a few months back, my car is euro spec should be a bolt in change I would think. Looking forward to your report, I have the brombacher muffler and very pleased.
The eBay manifolds/headers work great for a fraction of the price of an FVD/Cargraphic etc set. Unless you like spending money and are chasing every last single bhp then I'd seriously look at them. I've had 2 sets over 2 cars and nearly 10 years now. You might need to bend a corner of the undertray a little out the way, make sure the PAS line is not going to foul and check the alu diagonal braces don't get too close but they are are hard to beat for value.

edc is offline   Reply With Quote