Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2020, 05:33 AM   #1

tie rod ends for 986

I've been gradually replacing the suspension control arms and links in my 2001 Boxster S. Next up is tie-rod ends. Should I do both inner and outer, or is it the outers that tend to wear?

PeterBleakney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:49 PM   #2

the whole deal is so cheap, I'd do both with TRW parts.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:20 AM   #3

The ball joint tends to die on the outer. Replacing the inner may require a special tool and a lot of patience. Not sure, as I have neither.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
The ball joint tends to die on the outer. Replacing the inner may require a special tool and a lot of patience. Not sure, as I have neither.
No patience? I can share with you some words I have invented that inspire patience. They even sound German.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #5

the tool is like $40 at harbor freight and with it, replacing the inner takes roughly 20 minutes and its a piece of cake.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
the tool is like $40 at harbor freight and with it, replacing the inner takes roughly 20 minutes and its a piece of cake.
+1 that is what I did as well and it was easy peasy. I don't think the inners really wear out so much but
they are cheap and since you are in there....
There are methods to using regular tools but I like the fact that with the tool you can properly torque the inner tie rod
I'm waiting for the day I can reuse the tool

Last edited by kk2002s; 07-10-2020 at 08:49 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Could you post a link or picture for the tool you used? I'll try to source similar tool here in Europe.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:31 PM   #8

Pilot, I used one like this one, and turned out to be an easy job..

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/21818/140135-volvo-inner-tie-rod-tool-cta-4014
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Pilot, I used one like this one, and turned out to be an easy job..

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/21818/140135-volvo-inner-tie-rod-tool-cta-4014
Fantastic, thank you Gilles!
Old 07-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #10
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Could you post a link or picture for the tool you used? I'll try to source a similar tool here in Europe.
this is the one you want; beautiful tool, a little more expensive and worth every dime. The HF tool doesn't fit perfect and is cheap all around. considering it will be years, if ever before I do another tie rod, I left this up at my local shop for them to use. They were using the HF tool for the occasional inner tie rod. Rave reviews, enough cannot be said for a tool that is well designed.

you need to google for "OEM Tools 27178 - Master Tie Rod Tool" since the url will get blocked by our hosts.

and the hardest part of the inner tie rods is replacing the little boots. Do a little research and find the offset boot clamp pliers that crimp the clamp, (Lisle model 30600) they are about 15 bucks and you will never use them for anything else, but they work. I gave up the first time I did tie rods and just used stainless zip ties until I got these for the latest task.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
this is the one you want; beautiful tool, a little more expensive and worth every dime. The HF tool doesn't fit perfect and is cheap all around. considering it will be years, if ever before I do another tie rod, I left this up at my local shop for them to use. They were using the HF tool for the occasional inner tie rod. Rave reviews, enough cannot be said for a tool that is well designed.

you need to google for "OEM Tools 27178 - Master Tie Rod Tool" since the url will get blocked by our hosts.

and the hardest part of the inner tie rods is replacing the little boots. Do a little research and find the offset boot clamp pliers that crimp the clamp, (Lisle model 30600) they are about 15 bucks and you will never use them for anything else, but they work. I gave up the first time I did tie rods and just used stainless zip ties until I got these for the latest task.
Thanks for these tool infos. Is the offset clamp tools something that can be used also on the driveshaft boots installation if I end up rebuilding the driveshafts?
Old 07-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #12
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for these tool infos. Is the offset clamp tools something that can be used also on the driveshaft boots installation if I end up rebuilding the driveshafts?
I didn't need it, and I didn't rebuild, I replaced using FEQ (chinese) axles. Never had any problem with them. The caveat with this is they are overpacked with grease, so you need to do a little cleanup 2k or 3K after installation and where they bolt to the transaxle, make sure the bolts are clean of grease, (sometimes they get coated when you push them through the holes) the transaxle bolt holes are clean of grease, you use Loctite on the threads and you torque them (39Nm?) properly. MAKE SURE, cannot stress this enough. You can search the forums for others that give this advice, and those that didn't heed it. Do it right or they will come loose, imagine what happens then, you heard?

Last edited by tonythetiger; 07-22-2020 at 09:35 AM.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #13

You're local national chain auto parts store might have an inner tie rod tool to loan.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
Old 07-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
I didn't need it, and I didn't rebuild, I replaced using FEQ (chinese) axles. Never had any problem with them. The caveat with this is they are overpacked with grease, so you need to do a little cleanup 2k or 3K after installation and where they bolt to the transaxle, make sure the bolts are clean of grease, (sometimes they get coated when you push them through the holes) the transaxle bolt holes are clean of grease, you use Loctite on the threads and you torque them (20Nm?) properly. MAKE SURE, cannot stress this enough. You can search the forums for others that give this advice, and those that didn't heed it. Do it right or they will come loose, imagine what happens then, you heard?
Yes, good points. I have seen the posts when you swapped the FEQ drivesgafts. Mine are not in need of replacement /re-lube just yet - just planning ahead and not certain which way to go.

Last edited by pilot4fn; 07-19-2020 at 08:42 PM.
pilot4fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #15

Quote:
You're local national chain auto parts store might have an inner tie rod tool to loan.
Will check this out. So far I have not heard any any autoparts stores (or other shops) renting tools here...
I'll most likely change the tierod ends (inner and outer) during next winter - already purchased the TRW parts.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Will check this out. So far I have not heard any any autoparts stores (or other shops) renting tools here...
I'll most likely change the tierod ends (inner and outer) during next winter - already purchased the TRW parts.
Autozone here in Houston loans them. My experience has been that if the store nearby doesn't have a tool on their list, they will find one for you at another store or put one in inventory as a loaner.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
Old 07-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Autozone here in Houston loans them. My experience has been that if the store nearby doesn't have a tool on their list, they will find one for you at another store or put one in inventory as a loaner.
Yes, I used to loan tools from several shops as I lived in SoCal and built my cars there. Currently I live in Finland and so far I have not found shops loaning / renting the tools, but then again i have not looked for such here.