Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #21

pretty cool stuff. I love that you are willing to try **************** out, even if its unorthodox.

Talk to me about those naca ducts in the head lights. What size hose do they run to and how are you ducting to the brakes?

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:26 AM   #22

also, it seems you don't have a center radiator. What sort of temps are you seeing.

One thing I've thought of is using a WRX hood scoop on my trunk lid running to the trans and up to the heat exchanger. Might be a pain to route the hoses, but my car is not full track yet, so I haven't gone full nutso.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
also, it seems you don't have a center radiator. What sort of temps are you seeing.

One thing I've thought of is using a WRX hood scoop on my trunk lid running to the trans and up to the heat exchanger. Might be a pain to route the hoses, but my car is not full track yet, so I haven't gone full nutso.
The NACA ducts use 2.5" (I think, I'll confirm later) hose to connect the rotors to the ducts. I hollowed out the back of the lights to make them work and then rewired the head lights to the fog lights so I can still see when driving around at night in the paddock. The turn signals also still work.

You're right I don't have a third radiator, my first approach on the car was to make it as light as possible so I wanted to avoid it. It doesn't overheat at all even on 100 degree days though. I don't have AC condensers blocking the flow and I cut the wheel wells out to let the air flow through the radiators right into the wheel wells (the factory design requires the air to turn and exit under the car) so I'm sure this helps out as well. Oddly my 911 (996 3.6) has the same radiator setup (no center radiator) and temps start climbing on the track on really hot days. I can't believe they didn't put a third radiator on all the 911s.

I'm trying to picture your WRX scope idea, are you trying to cool the transmission fluid?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:21 AM   #24

Did you strip the wheel well area of everything? charcoal canister, washer fluid bottle and liners?
Old 04-08-2020, 04:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Did you strip the wheel well area of everything? charcoal canister, washer fluid bottle and liners?
Yep, the car is stripped of just about everything.

I finally got around to checking the front track width and found I made some serious miscalculations. The front track width (hub to hub) is now 66"s, factory is 56.89. So the front is over 8"s wider than the stock design (10" wider with the larger wheels and tires). The problem is the rear is only 4"s wider, I can order 3" spacers but the front will still be 2" wider than the rear. I wonder how problematic this will be.

EDIT: I'm finding conflicting info on factory hub to hub measurements, but it seems the rear from the factory is almost 3 inches wider than the front. So if put 3" spacers on each side of the rear everything will shake out to being square (66"s width in the front and 66"s in the rear). In other words, crisis averted...maybe

Last edited by truegearhead; 04-08-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #26

woof, 3" spacers.

Your wheel bearings are gonna LOOOOVE you
Old 04-09-2020, 05:11 AM   #27

The reason I ask is if you had thought about air pressure behind the front tire? I see lots of race cars where that area has been notched. It seems like an easy thing to do if you've removed the charcoal canister and windshield wiper fluid reserve.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:36 AM   #28

Quick update, I got the flares back from the wrap shop. Turned out alright

Old 04-10-2020, 06:26 AM   #29

Looking good, but are those James Bond Effect flares?
Old 04-11-2020, 03:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
Looking good, but are those James Bond Effect flares?
Haha, love it! I can’t believe I didn’t get flares with built in ground effect lights. What an amateur move.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #31

I'm really running out of things to do but I had another idea last night and made a louver cover for the hood. Its not done yet and still needs to be wrapped but you get the idea. I'm going to try and copy the livery underneath the vent with the wrap. So the teardrop and numbers will be printed on the wrap.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:40 AM   #32

Its all starting to come together! The suspension arms have all been extended (this was a horrible pain to get right and the sway bar linkage is still questionable) and the hood and wheel well vents have been wrapped

Here's everything I did to extended the suspension on the front of the car.
-Extended Elephant racing control arms using longer collars and hardware
-Installed rear toe arms (which are longer than tierods) on the front to replace and extend the tierods. These needed to be extended even more with adjustable end links
-Since the arms are longer the strut also needed to be extended, I drilled new holes in the strut and raised it in the hub
-Moved the strut mounts out by drilling and grinding a spot for them into the chassis
-modify strut bearing to fit in new location of the chassis
-Install adjustable toe links
-install spacers on the swaybar linkage and extend hardware
-cut fenders and install flares

Old 04-24-2020, 07:14 AM   #33

some interesting stuff going on. The hood looks good.

the suspension is a little dodgy in my eyes. There are just too many things changed from how they were intended to function. I'm not sure if you have an engineering background, but I'd want it looked over by someone with a suspension design background before going out and pushing it on the track.

Maybe it will be fine. Either way, would be interested to hear your impressions after some time on the track.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:17 AM   #34

Those sway bar extensions seem like they might act like a soft extension, if they flex it may have the effect of softening the front bar.

Maybe you could attach higher up, maybe on that notch where the brake sensor wire used to go? Although I don't know how string that is. Maybe the Tarett extended front links?

Car looks great, can't wait to hear how it does
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:14 AM   #35

What’s happening under the hood? Did you add another duct that feeds the hood louvers from the underside, raise the front edge to split the flow, or something else?
Old 04-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
What’s happening under the hood? Did you add another duct that feeds the hood louvers from the underside, raise the front edge to split the flow, or something else?

Originally I had an opening in the bumper but I changed that design and now have a diffuser in the splitter that exits through the hood vents. The diffuser isn't installed in the photos.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
some interesting stuff going on. The hood looks good.

the suspension is a little dodgy in my eyes. There are just too many things changed from how they were intended to function. I'm not sure if you have an engineering background, but I'd want it looked over by someone with a suspension design background before going out and pushing it on the track.

Maybe it will be fine. Either way, would be interested to hear your impressions after some time on the track.
ya.. I'm a little worried about it. I am a mechanical engineer but I'm not a suspension engineer. I've had a lot of people who build race cars look at it but who knows. We'll just have to see how it does.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
Originally I had an opening in the bumper but I changed that design and now have a diffuser in the splitter that exits through the hood vents. The diffuser isn't installed in the photos.
I would LOVE to see pics of the underside when you get a chance
Old 04-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #39

The governor just lifted the state inspection requirement so look who now has a street car! It attracted a little too much attention to be an enjoyable drive and its loud as hell but it was still great to get it out. With the exhaust on (which doesn't do much) the in-cabin air filter is deafening. I guess I've never heard it without a helmet on. Its incredible how much air engines take in.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:47 AM   #40

Some of you have probably seen my "Wild Japense Racecars" post earlier this week, I can't get over how great these things looks (if you haven't seen the post here's a teaser)

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/77859-wild-japense-986-racecars.html#post617405

Last night I played around with some cardboard and mocked up some rear flares that would be make out of aluminum. Getting the template right will be really really tough but cutting and bending the aluminum. The idea is they would sit against the flares I already have on the car and the openings in the new flares would be used to the engine intake (I'd move it again) and an oil cooler on the other side. There is of course absolutely no good reason to do this except to save me from going made during the Quarantine