Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #1

Radio Removal

Yes I did a search.....just about to pull the radio but she will not budge. Just wondering if I have the tools correctly. Can't seem to remember and don't want to break anything. Spread apart and pull if remember correctly. Yes?
It does not budge. The tools are locked in!

Old 03-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #2

Anecdotes indicate there is a lot of force needed. So slight movement out and then pull? I am doing this but the keys are deforming....
Old 03-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #3

The head units are def in there pretty good. I know mine required a good pull! But deforming the keys sounds a bit too hard. After getting mine pulled out, it was clear that the keys are designed to pull the clips inward (towards the center of the head unit) so that it can clear the frame. I would try pushing the deck in all the way. Pushing the keys in hard/more and then tugging again.

If you wreck your head unit, I'm looking for a replacement faceplate! :-)

Thanks again for selling me those struts. They are all installed and made a huge difference to my ride.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #4

Yeah I am close to breaking something and there is no access to release the keys...........so a face plate maybe in your future. There still stuck in there

Glad the struts worked out and good use is being made of all that hardware! S spec is a good street set up for sure
Old 03-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #5
jcp

Mine was super tight when I first removed it, (99 Base). You might remove the center console side panels and see if you can get a hand in behind the radio to push while you pull with the other. Once mine 'gave' it came out fairly easy. Do your tools look like these? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-porsche-parts/radio-removal-tools/00072195701/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0pfzBRCOARIsANi0g0td8LKbdZ7Pj6g-5_Ke32oC4yC_9rcyQhyUefEA9NCeLtQwZCpQXa8aAulqEALw_w cB
You can also remove the climate control head and reach through there.
jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:55 AM   #6

As mentioned, try pushing the head unit in a little bit and likewise the keys. They do not need pushed outward or toward the center of the unit, just straight in to grab the clips of the head unit.

Use a screwdriver placed into each key finger slot to pull on like a T-handle. Will give you more leverage and even pulling. First time removal is very difficult.

Good luck
Old 03-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp View Post
Mine was super tight when I first removed it, (99 Base). You might remove the center console side panels and see if you can get a hand in behind the radio to push while you pull with the other. Once mine 'gave' it came out fairly easy. Do your tools look like these? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-porsche-parts/radio-removal-tools/00072195701/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0pfzBRCOARIsANi0g0td8LKbdZ7Pj6g-5_Ke32oC4yC_9rcyQhyUefEA9NCeLtQwZCpQXa8aAulqEALw_w cB
You can also remove the climate control head and reach through there.
Yes these are the tools. Thanks for the tips!
Old 03-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
As mentioned, try pushing the head unit in a little bit and likewise the keys. They do not need pushed outward or toward the center of the unit, just straight in to grab the clips of the head unit.

Use a screwdriver placed into each key finger slot to pull on like a T-handle. Will give you more leverage and even pulling. First time removal is very difficult.

Good luck
Thanks for the advise....yes was cocking them both outwards. Will try not doing that.

The temperature just dropped like the stock market; so I will wait until thing are less cold and brittle
Old 03-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #9

Thanks for the tips I did get it out!

This is headed down a slot. I am just wondering if there is any additional hardware required to relocate and lock it in. It does not appear so. It looks like the cables will reach back, around and down past the steel box in there.

There is what looks like spring loaded flap with a ground strip attached to it on the left side. Have all incorporated this somehow in the centre console top slot. This is it here

Top console slot:

Old 03-13-2020, 08:16 AM   #10

To prevent removal of my fingertips while pulling I cut two short pieces of PVC pipe, inserted those through the finger cutters, and it is much easier to remove.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
To prevent removal of my fingertips while pulling I cut two short pieces of PVC pipe, inserted those through the finger cutters, and it is much easier to remove.
Finger cutters! Bang on! This a great idea...would also prevent deformation of the tools. Silly me I expected the tools to be comesurate with the force required will using them
Old 03-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #12

On mine, I take off the entire surround (switch mounts first) which then somehow makes it easier to detach the radio.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #13

Got it out but am still wondeing about the phantom spring loaded ground strip and connector in there and whether it is needed for good reception in the lower din slots as noted below.

Any special hardware needed to place it down there?
Old 03-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #14
jcp

It's my understanding the connector you refer to is a trigger for the alarm if the radio is removed while the car is locked.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:34 PM   #15

Wow that makes total sense! Did you bridge two pins on the connector to prevent this alarm? I am not getting anything but won't be starting the car for a while. I can test with ignition on though
Old 03-15-2020, 03:37 PM   #16
jcp

Just leave the brown with blue stripped wire disconnected (the wire that's plugged into the ground strap).....tape over the connector end. You don't want it to ground....that's what keys the alarm. Ti
This may give you a single horn beep when you set the alarm......the computer may think the radio has been stolen.

Last edited by jcp; 03-15-2020 at 03:48 PM.