986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   986 Back-End Mechanical Issues (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77238)

charlessimon986 02-21-2020 05:41 AM

986 Back-End Mechanical Issues

LOOKING FOR HELP!!!

I have a 1998 986 and I installed H&R springs. Immediately after I did this, the back-end began to skip all over the place. I understand that I will need to get an alignment but this issue is more than a simple alignment issue.

What this feels like:

The moment I begin rolling the back end jumps what seems to be at least 12 inches either to the right or the left. Then I have to correct myself back to the middle of the lane to prepare for the next movement. These movements occur nearly every 2-3 seconds.

What concerns me:

Maybe because I didn’t disconnect the drive shaft while installing the springs, maybe I ended up messing up how the wheels spin.

THOUGHTS ANYONE?

maytag 02-21-2020 08:05 AM

Honestly, that could readily describe a toe-out condition.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

charlessimon986 02-21-2020 08:46 AM

So that would make the car skip around from side to side?

maytag 02-21-2020 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlessimon986 (Post 612162)

Yup. I had a jaguar once that was so bad it was like the rear end was trying to get in front of the front end.

The rear of the car is "hunting", trying to get where it oughtta be.... but the wheels won't line up to let it.

I'd suggest you go get it aligned. Worst case? They tell you they found something broken and can't align it.... and then you know what it is. ;-)

NewArt 02-21-2020 09:01 AM

+1 with Maytag. Wheels trying to pull the car left, no right, no left!

maytag 02-21-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 612165)
+1 with Maytag. Wheels trying to pull the car left, no right, no left!

Like me in the voting booth.

seningen 02-21-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlessimon986 (Post 612162)

I imagine if both wheel wheels were pointed in opposite directions.
One wheel is going to try to straighten turning the back end. while this wheel
is straight -- the opposite wheel is really being pulled further the wrong way relative to straight.

It eventually wins and the car goes "straight" that way -- which is a correction in the other direction.

This continues on -- alternating which side "wins" and thus which way the car points at any given time.

I think Boxster's typically have something like -1 degree tow (tow in) and this keeps them stable as the geometry moves around.

But if you had any significant tow out on both sides, I can see how you would get this oscillating/ hunting feeling.

Mike