Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #1

Shifter left to right slop / play- 2000 Boxster 2.7

I have a 60k mile Boxster with Ben's short shifter installed with new bushings on the shifter end. I have very excessive shift play left to right, even though everything on the shifter end is tight and even my more slight movement will move the cables each way.

Therefore I thought the slop could be caused by the cable ends on the transmission side. But when I took a look at the cable ends, the rubber seems to be holding solid. At this point I'm really not sure what it could be..

Here's a video I took of the cable ends on the transmission side. The beginning of the video it's in first gear and the gear lever is being moved left to right while still in gear.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jX3kncCNnexBexJF7

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

betz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #2

So it turns out a majority of what made it worse was the nut keeping the shifter tight got loose on the passenger compartment side.

There still is much more left right play than forward back.

I'm thinking a combo of the shifter triangle thing and the rubber bushings at the rear. I don't think the cables could cause it. Anyone?
betz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
It is the plastic piece on the drivers side of the shifter that the ball end goes into. It wears and gets sloppy. Ben is making a billet aluminum piece that should cure it. You can find info about it on the short shifter thread.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #4

I shimmed the gap between the left shifter housing and the white lever that reduced side to side slip by at least 50%. Used thin plastic sheet and stuffed there with light lube. Yes I’m waiting for Ben’s machines arm to kill the remaining slop.

1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote