Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #1

Garage
fuel leak.

Been smelling gas around the boxster (03 S ) for a couple of days. aaaaaaaaaaapulled the battery out and removed the access plate above the tank and found fuel pooled on the top of the ring on top of the tank. It is leaking from the fitting on the end of the fuel line on the drivers side where it fits on to the top of the tank. No problem that I can see on the tank flange so appears to be the sealing ring inside the fuel line end fitting. I can't see where that line goes or how long it is since it disappears down along the drivers side of the tank. It soes not look like the sealing ring inside the fuel line is replaceable I assume changing that fuel line is the only fix. Anyone able to shed any light on what is involved in changing that line as in does the tank have to come out to access it and how far back does it go before there is a connection, etc. thanks

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #2

fuel leak

well documented problem. The fuel level sending unit develops very small cracks at the hose connections on top. A new sending unit will fix the problem. The fuel pump fits inside the sending unit but you do not need to replace it. A new sending unit is about $300. Good Luck.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

I had the same problem on my 2003 last month. Plastic ages and cracks.....no way to fix it ......have to replace the part.

NOT a difficult job to do.

the nipple usually cracks on the bottom.....usually the vent nipple.
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:38 AM   #4

As the others have said, it's more than likely the nipple and not the line. It's very very very common for the nipple to crack. I would say half of the sending units on the cars i get in are cracked on 2002 and up. I've never seen a cracked line. The line would be a ******************** to replace as I believe the front suspension and tank need to come down so you have access.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks guys, Got a new one ordered.

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote