Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #1

Manual heater control questions

Two quick questions

1) can anyone confirm that the manual non-AC heater controls (as seen in GT3s and European Boxsters) will plug into the harness on Boxsters that came with the US style heater and AC controls?

2) Manual controls seem pretty hard to track down but I noticed that there's a VW stamp on the back. Looking at Jetta MKIII controls they appear to be identical right down to he connector. Has anyone tried Installing VW controls?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #2

1) don't think so but can check tonight. they are designed to work with the non-ac heater matrix which does not have the motorised flappers.

2) the control is easy to find on ebay.co.uk; the matrix tougher (the uk heater matrixes are opposite to ours due to the RH drive); you have to look in germany or the netherlands to find one (either ebay or euro wreckers).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-986-996-HEATER-CONTROLS-CONTROL-UNIT-SWITCHES-DIALS-NON-A-C-/122597899045?hash=item1c8b677b25:g:wdgAAOSw4CFYu1u X

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-HEATER-CONTROL-PANEL-986-996-DIALS-SWITCHES-NON-AIR-CON-/272764720287?hash=item3f820b549f:g:4sAAAOSwZ1lWb95 c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Porsche-Manual-Heater-Controls-996-911-986-Boxster-/191906260367?hash=item2cae81258f:g:bpAAAOSwax5Yz~q V
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
1) don't think so but can check tonight. they are designed to work with the non-ac heater matrix which does not have the motorised flappers.

2) the control is easy to find on ebay.co.uk; the matrix tougher (the uk heater matrixes are opposite to ours due to the RH drive); you have to look in germany or the netherlands to find one (either ebay or euro wreckers).

PORSCHE BOXSTER 986 996 HEATER CONTROLS / CONTROL UNIT SWITCHES DIALS NON A/C | eBay

PORSCHE BOXSTER HEATER CONTROL PANEL 986 996 DIALS SWITCHES NON AIR CON | eBay

Genuine Porsche Manual Heater Controls 996 911 986 Boxster | eBay

Ultimately I'm trying to ditch the controls and put a dead plate in the center console. If I count just turn the heat on with a switch that would work to.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #4

well, if you are talking track car where you just want to keep the mist off the inside of the windshield, pull it all out and get some rainex?

otherwise, if you don't need heat and just want to move air around, perhaps remove the heater matrix altogether and just tie the plastic ducts together with some flex hose and hook-up to a manual blower fan:

Allstar Performance ALL13010 Compact Inline Blower Fan 3" Diameter 5" Long | eBay
Old 07-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
well, if you are talking track car where you just want to keep the mist off the inside of the windshield, pull it all out and get some rainex?

otherwise, if you don't need heat and just want to move air around, perhaps remove the heater matrix altogether and just tie the plastic ducts together with some flex hose and hook-up to a manual blower fan:

Allstar Performance ALL13010 Compact Inline Blower Fan 3" Diameter 5" Long | eBay
I want to be able to turn heat on and off. Both for the windshield and for Winter events.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #6

ok. i went into by garage at lunch. couldn't get in behind my electronic heat controller to see if the plugs matched that on the manual one i have. even if the plug matched, it wouldn't think the same control scheme would be in play.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
ok. i went into by garage at lunch. couldn't get in behind my electronic heat controller to see if the plugs matched that on the manual one i have. even if the plug matched, it wouldn't think the same control scheme would be in play.
Wow well thanks for checking!
Old 07-28-2017, 04:24 AM   #8

I don't see why you couldn't hot wire the blower motor to a toggle switch. You would also have to somehow lock the flaps inside the air box so when you do turn on the blower, the air is going through the heater core. You'll lose your ability to change direction where the air is blowing though and air speed

Last edited by itsnotanova; 07-28-2017 at 04:30 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:39 AM   #9

Are you trying to lose weight? Seems like it won't be much of a reward in weight loss by switching to a manual control or a toggle switch. That's unless you also get rid of all the HVAC under the dash too. Maybe gut the factory stuff and install a small fan motor that can push air through the heater core. Have some ducting to the windshield and maybe a small one to your feet?