Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 04:41 AM   #1

Radio cuts out when engine is started

When i turn on the ignition key the radio plays fine. Once i start the engine, the radio cuts out. Sometimes it cuts in and out when your driving. Any ideas ?

OBIEONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:03 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Get some radio keys to pull the headunit out, and check the connection on the back of the radio.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
The stock head units and systems in these cars are not only lacking, they are fickle as well. Also, if you have the factory amp, check those connections as well.

Mine will sometimes stop playing radio randomly while driving. Sometimes will come back by switching power on and off. Other times will insert a CD briefly, eject, and the radio comes back. I file it under Ghost in the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
My radio will occasionally change from AUX to FM radio when I hit a bump. But it should not be happening frequently or every time you start the car.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #5
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Ok, I can't resist............maybe you can use the Force the next time it cuts out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:43 AM   #6

Garage
Probably just replace the E1 fuse too just to be safe. Can't hurt anything
cornontherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #7

Glad to hear its not the other way round, "Engine cuts out when the Radio turns on"

Frankly I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the ignition switch itself which can apparently cause all sorts of mayhem with the electronics and seems not to last that long.

Its an inexpensive and relatively easy fix as its just the electrical switch unit that needs to be replaced. I think its under $20 part.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #8

Did you solve the problem, and how? I have the same issue.
Kenneth999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
2001 Boxster S

I had the same when I bought mine last June.

After research it seems to be a common problem on the Boxster radios of those years (I assume its not the BOSS). Seems the radio goes wack above 12Vdc when it gets old.

If you put a POT inline and reduce voltage to 12VDC it will work.

It shuts down because when you turn on the engine, the alternator starts and shoots 13-14vdc in line.

When turning on all accessories (AC, Heater, full blown fans, fog lights front and back) boom radio comes on, turn off fogs, boom, goes off.

In then end, I could have made an electronic hack to keep voltage at 12vdc, but took the opportunity to install a 7" Joying Android car entertainement stystem.

I now have Spotify, phone integration bluetooth and WAZE in my 986. Couldnt be happier.

BTW, I'm using the same ignition and same AMP, so dont go hunting for problems in those 2, they are fine.

If you do the test above (activating all accessories to see if the radio turns on, while engine running) it'll confirm that you have the exact same problem I did.

SpIcEz is offline   Reply With Quote