986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   3.2L throttle response poll (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54315)

jaykay 10-02-2014 08:27 PM

3.2L throttle response poll

Okay get out your stopwatches and put that chronograph on your wrist to use...

What is your average engine acceleration time from 3000 rpm to 4000 rpm in:

2nd gear (this should be a blink of an eye)>
3rd gear>
4th gear>
5th gear>
6th gear (this could take for ever)>

What are your engine mods>
What was the ambient temperature>
Where are you driving (elevation)>
Fuel type>
Oil type>
Air filter type>

Be safe with it...one piece of data at a time!

jaykay 10-15-2014 05:51 PM

Really nobody??

Okay just straight roll on time from 3000 to 4000 rpm in third and fourth gear

san rensho 10-15-2014 07:41 PM

You are borderline lugging the motor if you go to full throttle at 3k rpm. I never go full throttle below about 4.5k rpm.

Whats the point? You are way below the power band of 4.5 rpm max torque and max hp around 6.5k rpm.

ekam 10-16-2014 06:41 AM

Why don't you take it to a dyno and see if there's a dip on the hp and/or torque curve?

jaykay 10-16-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 421828)
You are borderline lugging the motor if you go to full throttle at 3k rpm. I never go full throttle below about 4.5k rpm.

Whats the point? You are way below the power band of 4.5 rpm max torque and max hp around 6.5k rpm.

Yes, low end throttle response is the point....every day acceleration on the street is the focus.

Unfortunately we all come up against traffic and will see 3K. 4.5K + I have a dozen angry lions behind me so things are flowing well with my mods.

jaykay 10-16-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 421854)
Why don't you take it to a dyno and see if there's a dip on the hp and/or torque curve?

True could be done but I am not entirely sure a dyno is going to give me any throttle response quality 3-4k. Also would need to compare to others hence the poll....am I better worse or the same as others. A stop watch should be the ticket in this case

steved0x 10-16-2014 11:59 AM

There is a good post on rennlist in the 996TT section on doing pulls with durametric data logging, if you have a durametric maybe you could do some pulls with a passenger to start and stop the logging?

Next time I take the car out I will have my son video the tach as a I do the pulls you requested, I have a 2000 S with 113K miles and the only mod is 2nd cat delete pipes.

Steve

jaykay 10-16-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 421892)
There is a good post on rennlist in the 996TT section on doing pulls with durametric data logging, if you have a durametric maybe you could do some pulls with a passenger to start and stop the logging?

Next time I take the car out I will have my son video the tach as a I do the pulls you requested, I have a 2000 S with 113K miles and the only mod is 2nd cat delete pipes.

Steve

Wonderful thanks!

Yes the durametric can be done and that would be ideal...you would end up with nice time versus rpm data and graphs! But I still need a poll of what other cars do so that I know where am.

Given, the lack of enthusiasm for simply hitting a stop watch when out and about, I would be hard pressed, but quite fortunate to have excel files sent to me by forum members. Your idea is a very good one though.

I was really bogging down low and made some changes and things are much better but I am not sure if I am back to zero or really ahead.