986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   987 S - do you fully depress the clutch? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54194)

FlyPenFly 09-24-2014 08:30 AM

987 S - do you fully depress the clutch?

A habit I picked up from learning stick on BMWs is to not fully push in the clutch after first gear. From what I was told by a "master tech", it was pointless on some BMWs because half way in was already full travel in the gear box. I understand however not all cars are like this.

I was wondering if anyone knew what case it is in the six speed on the 987S? Does the entire clutch travel correspond 1:1 with the gearbox or is it a similar situation where fully pressing in the clutch is pointless after first gear? I can certainly drive much smoother when I don't fully press down on the clutch after first gear.

JayG 09-24-2014 09:49 AM

Bad habit

IMHO, ya gotta push it all the way down
Should not matter what gear
Yes, like most clutches, it is disengaged before full travel, but a bad habit nonetheless

Of course you can speed shift it like any manual tranny without using the clutch at all, but YMMV

BTW, welcome to the forum
Where in SD are you located?

FlyPenFly 09-24-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 419397)
Bad habit

IMHO, ya gotta push it all the way down
Should not matter what gear
Yes, like most clutches, it is disengaged before full travel, but a bad habit nonetheless

Of course you can speed shift it like any manual tranny without using the clutch at all, but YMMV

BTW, welcome to the forum
Where in SD are you located?

North County.

Sorry, I didn't mean just clutch disengagement. I meant in some gear boxes, it is pointless to fully depress the clutch because fully depressing the clutch does nothing because full movement of the clutch is done by XX percent.

So the last remaining X percent of the pedal travel really doesn't do anything once your above first gear. Some cars are made that way, and some not. I was wondering if anyone was familiar enough with the six speed Getrag in the 987 S to know?

stephen wilson 09-25-2014 03:02 AM

I'm not sure what you mean, clutch engagment has nothing to do with the transmission ?

JayG 09-25-2014 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly (Post 419409)
North County.

Sorry, I didn't mean just clutch disengagement. I meant in some gear boxes, it is pointless to fully depress the clutch because fully depressing the clutch does nothing because full movement of the clutch is done by XX percent.

So the last remaining X percent of the pedal travel really doesn't do anything once your above first gear. Some cars are made that way, and some not. I was wondering if anyone was familiar enough with the six speed Getrag in the 987 S to know?

While yes, the clutch is disengaged before the pedal is to the floor, do you have a calibrated leg?

What is it you are trying to gain? A few milliseconds in shift time?

CraigM 09-25-2014 06:23 AM

Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I made a clutch stop from a long bolt, washers and some nuts for an E36 M3 I used to own. Still fully disengaged, but cut about 2 inches of travel.
I enjoyed it, timed well with my short shifter. Wouldn't do it again - not worth the risk. However it was still well clear of any grab point for the clutch. Younger days.

FlyPenFly 09-25-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 419500)
While yes, the clutch is disengaged before the pedal is to the floor, do you have a calibrated leg?

What is it you are trying to gain? A few milliseconds in shift time?

Hah. No. Just wondering if this bad habit is as bad as I think it is or if it's a common quality among Getrag transmissions. My E46 M3 also had a Getrag six speed. It did full clutch movement at around a bit more than half pedal travel.

lkchris 09-26-2014 04:37 PM

All cars are the same

It ain't rocket science.

Lots of mechanics seem to have a need to convince you they're geniuses.

healthservices 10-08-2014 05:47 PM

I get lazy at times and not use the clutch at all once the car is moving. More so on motorcycles...

The clutch is only required when flywheel speed does not match the gear speed