986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   First oil analysis done by Blackstone labs, seems to be good. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52233)

steved0x 05-19-2014 01:32 PM

First oil analysis done by Blackstone labs, seems to be good.

Just got my first oil analysis report back from Blackstone today. Silicon was high, but it sounds like that may be traces of the sealant snakes that were in the oil sump pan, that I recently cleaned out. It will be interesting to see if it goes down at the next oil change now that I cleaned all that out. The rest of it seems good.

The oil I used was Castrol Edge 5W40.

Does anything on this report jump out at anybody on here?

Part of the usage on this oil was 7 HPDE session of about 20-25 minutes each at RRR and 8 autocross runs.

Thanks,

Steve

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1400534837.jpg

Dlirium 05-19-2014 02:10 PM

thanks for posting, always good to see what others are seeing...

Jake Raby 05-19-2014 04:01 PM

Nice how they left the TAN and TBN values off and have no visq relation..

steved0x 05-19-2014 05:38 PM

There was an option to pay an extra $10 and get some additional info, maybe it was from there?

I am running DT40 now so it will be interesting to see the next one in around 6 months.

Steve

Jake Raby 05-19-2014 05:56 PM

Your first sample on DT40 will be compromised from cross pollination, unless you used the BR flush oil as we prescribe.

steved0x 05-20-2014 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 401113)
Your first sample on DT40 will be compromised from cross pollination, unless you used the BR flush oil as we prescribe.

I have seen that described here and other places. I called and emailed Joe Gibbs racing to see if they recommended the BR30 or BR40 and they never got back with me (I should have just contacted you guys), so I just went ahead and did a regular oil change. I guess when I do the next change in 6 months that will eliminate the cross pollination? Will having the traces of Castrol 5W40 in there degrade the performance or shorten the life of this fill significantly?

Thank you,

Steve

Coaster 05-20-2014 08:05 AM

Thanks for sharing. Here is my first one. Sticker on windshield from PO said the previous oil was Mobil 1 5/40W. I too changed to DT40 (also didn't use BR oil flush) and also didn't pay for TBN (I'm wondering if I should now?).

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1400601501.jpg

steved0x 05-20-2014 09:04 AM

One thing that was interesting to me was the interval between when I sent the sample off and when I got the results. Before I took the sample, I had very little anxiety. Once I took the sample and sent it off, I became anxious. With no sample, there is no possible bad news on the way. With a sample submitted, there is the possibility of the bad news and it had me a little worried. Now that I got my report back and it is good, I am back to low anxiety once again ;) it is the waiting in between that gives the problem... :)

Coaster 09-08-2014 06:48 AM

Sample 2 results are back. I switched to DT40 with out the flush. Blackstone says there is no need to flush because they oils are similar. I'm not an oil expert. No TBN again because I have no intent in extending my oil change intervals beyond 5K.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a11...roilchange.jpg

JB3 09-10-2014 06:30 AM

I like Blackstone a lot. I do get the TBN and TAN only because I go longer between oil changes. Street use only between 8 and 10k and Blackstone has always said I could go more. At only 5 to 6k even with a couple driving events youre not likely to wear the oil out. On the other hand it's only 10 bucks.

A curious thought about the slightly high silicon: factory air filter or one of the 'high performance' so called oiled filters?

Coaster 09-10-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB3 (Post 417794)
A curious thought about the slightly high silicon: factory air filter or one of the 'high performance' so called oiled filters?

Factory air filter replaced at 95K (I was catching up a 90K service interval).

jb92563 09-12-2014 07:17 AM

The numbers are nice to know but if you saw a divergent number would you know if its a problem and what causes it?

Is there a guide to oil analysis results or do they provide comments/suggestions when the numbers go out of spec.

Why would a car engine have so much calcium in its oil?

Too many one a day supplements? Coolant leaking into the oil?
I suppose you are what you eat so fossil fuel and lubrication oil makes sense for calcium.

And silicon from sand may be entering the induction system and accounting for some perhaps but doesn't steel
and other metals have a silicon component and perhaps that number really indicates wearing of parts or did the air vent in the lab introduce 1 part of silicon
or was their analysis device not calibrated that day (Is 1 part per million even signifigant?).

Are the actual numbers that important or is it the changes from your baseline that are really the most important thing to use as a diagnostic and preventative maintenance tool?

Just posing some questions to see how such data can really be used and if you need yearly reports or every oil change to make meaningful conclusions.

steved0x 09-12-2014 08:35 AM

I think it is trends, and also to see if there is a spike, for example too much of a certain kind of metal. In my case my silicon was too high, so in the report they suggested that either sand was getting in past the air filter, or more likely the engine had been opened up and it was some remnants of silicone sealant. In my case it was silicone sealant, some one had overzealously sealed something, as witnessed by snakes of sealant when I dropped the oil sump pan. Now that I have cleaned it all up, I am curious to see if the level will be down for my nest oil change.

Flavor 987S 09-13-2014 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 417996)
Why would a car engine have so much calcium in its oil?

Calcium is used as a detergent and dispersant additive to maintain suspension of particulate matter, along with maintaining a reserve alkalinity. Concentration levels vary greatly depending on oil brand.

Flavor 987S 09-13-2014 04:08 AM

Coaster, your 2nd UOA with the DT40 looks good/better. Your copper and iron are dropping. That's a good sign. Your motor likes the Joe Gibbs.

Your Zinc and Phosphorus are also going up, as expected, since you now have a greater concentration of the DT40 in your veins. This is one of the main reason Jake recommends a flush with BR. DT40 fights most other additive packages, and you'll see some weird results (in ZN, Phos, and viscosities) until the DT40 is at a very high concentration after a flush and a couple oil changes.

Still, one of the things I don't like about the Joe Gibbs DT40 is the low end range on the SUS Viscosity and cSt Viscosity. This is why I have decided to go back to Mobil 5W50 in my 991 C2S......much better shear protection.

DT40 is better than Mobil 0W40.....but I don't see it better than Mobil 5W50. IMO. All I want is an oil better than Mobil 0W40....and several like Mobil 5W50, DT40, Redline 5W40, and Motul fit that bill nicely.

Coaster 09-13-2014 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S (Post 418066)
Coaster, your 2nd UOA with the DT40 looks good/better. Your copper and iron are dropping. That's a good sign. Your motor likes the Joe Gibbs.

Your Zinc and Phosphorus are also going up, as expected, since you now have a greater concentration of the DT40 in your veins. This is one of the main reason Jake recommends a flush with BR. DT40 fights most other additive packages, and you'll see some weird results (in ZN, Phos, and viscosities) until the DT40 is at a very high concentration after a flush and a couple oil changes.

Still, one of the things I don't like about the Joe Gibbs DT40 is the low end range on the SUS Viscosity and cSt Viscosity. This is why I have decided to go back to Mobil 5W50 in my 991 C2S......much better shear protection.

DT40 is better than Mobil 0W40.....but I don't see it better than Mobil 5W50. IMO. All I want is an oil better than Mobil 0W40....and several like Mobil 5W50, DT40, Redline 5W40, and Motul fit that bill nicely.

Awesome feedback! Thanks!