986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Oil Overfill Symptoms (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51105)

rick3000 03-10-2014 08:24 AM

Oil Overfill Symptoms

I just got back from an oil change and my electronic reader is all the way up, and the dipstick appears to have oil to the top of the red plastic. The car was built in 1/99, so I don't think it was ever calibrated for the latest Porsche TSB in 2/99 that recommended more oil.

I am not getting any smoke on startup, which seems to be a symptom of overfilling. I am not sure if it is overfilled or by how much. Should I be concerned, or does the lack of smoke mean I don't need to worry?

Thanks!

JFP in PA 03-10-2014 08:36 AM

These cars should not be overfilled, do so can lead to problems ranging from smoking, to seal leaks, and AOS failure. As you just had your oil changed, let the car sit for at least and hour or two, then switch the key (don't start the car) and check the oil level. If all the bars are lit, you need to drain some oil out of the car.

rp17 03-10-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 390407)
These cars should not be overfilled, do so can lead to problems ranging from smoking, to seal leaks, and AOS failure.

JFP, what seal leaks are affected by this? Had a o ring replaced on my AOS sometime ago, and wondering now if this was because it was overfilled.

JFP in PA 03-10-2014 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rp17 (Post 390445)
JFP, what seal leaks are affected by this? Had a o ring replaced on my AOS sometime ago, and wondering now if this was because it was overfilled.

For one, the RMS is much more prone to leak on a an overfilled engine, as is the front crank seal; and the AOS can actually "overload" (it is not designed to work in liquid oil, only oil vapor) and suck liquid oil into the intake, which can lead to a hydro lock.

rick3000 03-10-2014 09:13 PM

I am going to take care of this ASAP, and drive it very careful and as little as possible until that time, it's my DD so there's no avoiding it. Thanks JFP for the information! :cheers:

This is the final nail in the coffin of taking my Boxter to a mechanic for regular maintenance. It's probably cheaper to buy the tools to do the oil change, and other regular maintenance myself than pay to fix it when the mechanics mess up.

rp17 03-11-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 390459)
For one, the RMS is much more prone to leak on a an overfilled engine, as is the front crank seal; and the AOS can actually "overload" (it is not designed to work in liquid oil, only oil vapor) and suck liquid oil into the intake, which can lead to a hydro lock.

Appreciate JFP.

Jamesp 03-11-2014 05:18 PM

To get about a quart out you can just unscrew the oil filter, dump the oil from the filter, and screw it back on. You'll need a pan under it or you'll have a mess. Then top back up as necessary a little at a time.

Joe B 03-11-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 390491)
I am going to take care of this ASAP, and drive it very careful and as little as possible until that time, it's my DD so there's no avoiding it. Thanks JFP for the information! :cheers:

This is the final nail in the coffin of taking my Boxter to a mechanic for regular maintenance. It's probably cheaper to buy the tools to do the oil change, and other regular maintenance myself than pay to fix it when the mechanics mess up.

The oil change is pretty much a no-brainer. I have 2 ramps for the rear wheels, a large oil drain pan, and the special tool for removing the oil filter canister. That's all. It's a 15 minute job.

DennisAN 03-16-2014 08:30 AM

My local dealer overfilled my sump by about 1/2 quart. I had them suck the excess out using their dipstick sucker tool. I don't know how a dealer could overfill the car but perhaps they just pour in X amount based upon some table in their book. Personally I always stop at a quart low from the spec and add a little at a time.

Joe, the problem with ramps is that the car is tilted and you probably won't get all the old oil out.

BoxsterSteve 03-16-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisAN (Post 391238)
Joe, the problem with ramps is that the car is tilted and you probably won't get all the old oil out.

Maybe Joe's set up like me... my driveway has just the right amount of slope that when the back of my car is on Rhino ramps it sits completely level.

Joe B 03-16-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisAN (Post 391238)

What BoxsterSteve said (he beat me to it).

Not enough room under there to get to everything without the ramps. I drive the front up onto an incline before I back onto the ramps, in order to keep it level. It gets enough old oil out, since I need to use 8 1/2 quarts to fill it after the old oil is drained. You can never get all the old oil out since some remains in nooks and crannies.

DennisAN 03-16-2014 06:15 PM

OK good, you are good to go. I have a mondo 7000 lb floor jack (purchased for my old Ford F-150) that's low enough to get under my Boxster or Miata and raises it up 22". So I always do my work high on jackstands.

Until I get around to putting in an LN bearing I'm going to pull the oil filter and cut it open every 500-600 miles. While I'm under there I can take off the plastic underwear and check things like the coolant hoses. The Assenmacher AST #M0219 is a good fit oil filter wrench and Amazon sells them for something like $17.

embryoguy@mac.com 04-19-2022 09:43 AM

Same here! Trying to decide if I should take it back.

DreamSign 07-09-2022 06:33 PM

I just bought a 1999 that was overfilled with approx 700 ml.

I used a fluid pump from harbor freight with the skinny tube cut at a 45 degree angle (gets past some barrier) shoved down the dipstick tube and pumped it out to the correct level.

The car had it's oil changed every 400 miles (crazy, but I'm not going to argue ;0)
The last oil change (different mechanic than previously) showed he added 9.2l when the capacity is I think 8.7, and I'm sure there was a little oil still in the car. At any rate, once I cut the 45 degree angle in the tiny tube I shoved down the oil dipstick, it worked pretty easily to remove any amount of oil I wanted. And- bonus- you don't have to get dirty to do it this way.

BAD things can happen with overfilled oil.

alansdavid 07-10-2022 10:53 AM

I had an pil change thry measured content by the dipstick.Claimed it to be full. The gauge shows it in the top bar. So it is likely overtfilled?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

JFP in PA 07-11-2022 05:42 AM

Probably.....

bbmidmi 08-01-2022 01:55 PM

How do I check 04 Boxster S Oil Level via dip stick

I cannot trust the oil level gauge in my 04 Boxster S (electronic gremlins). And I am not sure how/when to read the oil level on the stick. Is it to be read when cold (sitting level) or once the engine comes up to temp (i.e. a short drive etc.)? Any guidance would greatly be appreciated. :cheers:

rfuerst911sc 08-02-2022 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbmidmi (Post 648047)
I cannot trust the oil level gauge in my 04 Boxster S (electronic gremlins). And I am not sure how/when to read the oil level on the stick. Is it to be read when cold (sitting level) or once the engine comes up to temp (i.e. a short drive etc.)? Any guidance would greatly be appreciated. :cheers:

Check the oil cold , preferably after it has sat overnight . There is a lot of oil in the heads and it takes a while to drain back to the sump . Any time an oil change is done soon after the engine was up to temp you run the risk of over filling because not enough time is given to drain the oil . Just because it is dribbling out of the sump doesn't mean it's all out . Still oil in the heads . I let mine drain overnight . May be overkill but Jake Raby told me this and he knows a thing or two about these engines :D