Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #1

Manual Transmission problem

Hello All I am brand new to the forum and Boxster ownership,
please help me on this, just got a 99 Boxster 5 speed manual 87,000 miles, previous owner said transmission was bad. He said the car was pulled from the rear and that is when the problem started. The car starts idles OK. You can select all gears. We lifted the car and checked for dragging brakes seems OK. Put car in gear on jacks and rotate each wheel by hand no issues, put car in gear and rotate one wheel the other wheel turns opposite direction, so far so good. Put the car back on the ground. Start engine and put in gear release clutch need to keep revs up to 3k or will stall. The car dosent want to move and finally the left rear will spin, you can carefully move it but it seems like a wheel is dragging. I lifted it again and checked all four wheels turn, but with any running when you try to turn the rear wheels by hand they drag heavily now. There is no bearing whine or weird noises from the transmission? Do I have a bad transmission or misadjusted shifter cable, the previous owner suggested two gears might be partially selected, that sounds impossible to me, anyone ever experience this? I am going to replace the transmission but wanted to check with you all to see if this has ever come up, I put the car up on ramps and will check the fluid today.
Thank you.

Twos2 is offline   Reply With Quote