Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2021, 04:15 AM   #41
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Thanks guys....

....and for what it’s worth, I never bought that Ferrari 308 when they were JUST affordable to me a decade ago because I knew I couldn’t afford the timing belt service and all the other “Ferrari” taxes.

If you met me, you would know I am as far from “Elite” as a janitor at Trump Tower.

��

Seriously, though, a 1993 Miata was my only car for over 20 years.

I scrimped and saved and bought the best quality, best maintained 986 I could find.

I have a great local technician and I can turn a mean wrench myself. I grew up in the “Fast & The Furious” days and “Sport Compact Car” magazine.

I WAS that “Rice Boy” kid.

I’m just trying to use whatever old man wisdom I have accumulated over my years to help my fellow forum members. Hopefully my past mistakes can prevent others from suffering the same heartbreaks I brought upon myself.

Just trying to help this awesome collective.

And I’m sorry if my crush washer post sounded harsh, as well.

Cheers, everyone.

Now go out and drive your Boxster.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #42
Who's askin'?

Ike, you've got a sympathetic ear here, with me. There are lots of people who won't see this post because they've used the "block user" function. You sound just like me about there being nothing magical (or even particularly unique) about the innards of the Porsche 986.

BUT:
I read this thread and to me, it looks like you took offense where none was intended.

You must remember that for many owners, this car represents a culmination of a dream, and part of that dream is their obsession with OEM-Only, Factory-authorized, laminate-all-the-receipts-and-keep-them-in-a-binder sort of, for lack of a better word; worship. That ain't you, and it ain't me, but there's lots of room for people to love the car in lots of different ways. As with any forum (or any group of people) the answers you get will vary across the spectrum created by the variances of life's experiences.

Yeah, now I'm preaching. sorry.... I'm a Mormon, hahaha.

So, in all reality, 10/10ths is sorta on the money here. Many have tried other lubes and come back with horror stories; to the extent that most have determined that it isn't worth the risk to do otherwise. On my street-986 S, I used the OEM stuff from Suncoast. (But on the Spec Boxster, I didn't. that might tell you where my head is)

Enjoy this forum for the diversity found herein. Try to be a lover, not a fighter.

otherwise, everyone will block you, like they have me. :dance:
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....and for what it’s worth, I never bought that Ferrari 308 when they were JUST affordable to me a decade ago because I knew I couldn’t afford the timing belt service and all the other “Ferrari” taxes.

If you met me, you would know I am as far from “Elite” as a janitor at Trump Tower.

��

Seriously, though, a 1993 Miata was my only car for over 20 years.

I scrimped and saved and bought the best quality, best maintained 986 I could find.

I have a great local technician and I can turn a mean wrench myself. I grew up in the “Fast & The Furious” days and “Sport Compact Car” magazine.

I WAS that “Rice Boy” kid.

I’m just trying to use whatever old man wisdom I have accumulated over my years to help my fellow forum members. Hopefully my past mistakes can prevent others from suffering the same heartbreaks I brought upon myself.

Just trying to help this awesome collective.

Cheers, everyone.

Now go out and drive your Boxster.
Sorry for overreacting. My life experiences have taught me uniformly that mean people suck and I have a soft spot for the guy on the other end because usually there's no one to stand up for them. I tend to epitomize the "carry a big stick" philosophy lol.

Anyway, cheers to the knowledge base. As pedro would say, happy boxstering!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2021, 12:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
otherwise, everyone will block you, like they have me. :dance:
Maytag! You really think you’ve been all that blocked?? I can’t imagine that—you offer some of the most sage advice I’ve read on this forum. Well, if you are much blocked at least I feel in good company, though I suspect I’m more blocked than you. (This whole discussion kinda puts me in mind of that “I’m rednecker than you” country song.)

I can’t figure out the mentality of “blocking” someone—why would you not just NOT read their posts if you so inclined. They're incapable of just skipping over those posters they don't want to read?? And it’s not like they succeed at a “I’ll show that guy!” by blocking—we don’t even know we’ve been blocked, or by whom. Whatever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post

Aw hell 10, don’t worry about the crush ring discussion. I’ve been worked over worse than that on quite a few occasions. I usually have it coming. And I learned something important reading through that thread. (I never knew the LN magnetic plug was supposed to be torqued so much more gently compared to the OEM plug. I guess I just got lucky—time after time I’d crank away on the thing when replacing it, torqueing it to roughly the same level as I would the original. I had NO idea they could be stripped out as shown in pics on this thread.

As you say: "Cheers!" And “go out and drive your Boxster.”
It’s always hard to know exactly when winter’s over around here. But it’s almost 60 out there at the moment—I’m actually pretty much ready to break her out of her long hibernation about now! :dance:
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
"Cheers!" And “go out and drive your Boxster.”
:dance:
You too, Ike.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote