Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #1

Upgrades do it?

Hi guys after reading everyones history it seems easier going to the source and asking the guys that have done it rather than the guys selling it. My problems / opions are as follows;

After reading every review on the Boxster i could find every reviewer LOVES the handling. Now i may be slightly spoiled cause i have a very low modified WRX. It kills the boxster on my favourite roads. I do realise that a modified car is totally different from standard but i'm talking 3k worth of suspension on a 40k car killing a 100k car. After talking to some Porsche techs they said that yes the boxster does wallow etc because they need to, to allow for less rigidity with no roof? so i lowered it with H&R springs. mmm better but still.........( looks better too 3cm lower ) secondly the seat plate in the drivers seat has broken so it clicks and moves under you slighlty under any g forces. You sort of put all your weight on it when you get in and out. anyone had same problem? cheap to fix but ? Thirdly being 6'1 tall the seat/steering wheel height sucks. Cannot adjust so my hands dont hit my legs cornering. need the 05 tilt!!! i still love my boxy though relax!!

I have found a set of GT3 black leather seats worth 6k for 3k and was told they bolt straight in with brackets? they are apparently thinner and hug you lots more ( i like hugs ) should give me more leg room? ( will miss the heated seats though ). As part of the deal however i can get a a full exhaust with hand made xtractors,balance pipe and millie miglia mufflers for 2K...

Well? what to do? oh yeah prices are in Aussie

civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic
secondly the seat plate in the drivers seat has broken so it clicks and moves under you slighlty under any g forces. You sort of put all your weight on it when you get in and out. anyone had same problem? cheap to fix but ?
I have this very same problem on 2000 Boxster S. Any idea how this can be fixed, and what it might cost? Does the whole seat need to be changed?
Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:50 AM   #3

I'd be willing to bet that a good upholstery shop could repair the seat. You may have to call around and find one willing to try. I know that my local guy would do it.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #4

Hi, Civic can you provide some of the specifics on the exhaust set-up in the attached pic?

many thanks
bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #5

Hi Civic,
Good to see another Aussie Boxster owner on the forum.
It sounds like the clicking seat is a more common problem than I thought. Í too would be interested in finding out how much it costs to fix. It's a niggle more than anything else.
aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 12:32 AM   #6

Hey guys,

There is apparently a plastic base in the seat that can be replaced. I think you put all your weight on it every time you get in or out so it seems to be a common problem. Porsche quoted $125 to replace plus fitting? they don't do it though they send it to a re-upolsterer. I really want to change the seats though, GT3 seats are the go for the extra leg room, however i cant find any second hand. Porsche want $3000 each plus rails $500.

PS: all the upgrade stuff got sold!!!!

civic is offline   Reply With Quote