Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #1

DRL with Fog Lamps - In line Switch

Hi I like the idea of the use of fog lamps from the DIY hack section. I would like to insert an in line switch to give a bit more control of their use rather than coming just off the ignition.

What switch could I use that is an on/off type in the same style as the oval switches on the 02 boxster? I will put the switch on the center to the rear of the ashtray

Thanks, Simon

ferrytrip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Have you thought about using an oval dash switch (similar to the type for Central Locking) and one of the empty dash switch locations on the left side of the center stack (where the PSM switch is located)? This would give you a completely stock look and use an existing stock Porsche switch.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Have you thought about using an oval dash switch (similar to the type for Central Locking) and one of the empty dash switch locations on the left side of the center stack (where the PSM switch is located)? This would give you a completely stock look and use an existing stock Porsche switch.
That is exactly what I am trying to do - use an existing oval stock Porsche switch to give a stock look. I can place the switch either to the left of the PSM or in the center where the blanks are behind the ash tray ( I think this is where the heated seat switches so - I do not have heated seats)

My question is - which switch is suitable to do this? You suggest the Central locking. Is this an on / off or a rocker type? I thought it was a rocker type. For the DRL I want to use a switch that has an on position and an off position.

Thanks, Simon
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Yes, you are correct, all of the dash switches are toggle-type. The switch for the heated seats would be the one that you want.

The Porsche OEM heated seat switch PN is 986.613.152.00 A02 (gloss black) Porsche Boxster/986 1997-2004 Seat heater switch-gloss black -1 ,
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Yes, you are correct, all of the dash switches are toggle-type. The switch for the heated seats would be the one that you want.

The Porsche OEM heated seat switch PN is 986.613.152.00 A02 (gloss black) Porsche Boxster/986 1997-2004 Seat heater switch-gloss black -1 ,
Thanks for this - are there any other switch part numbers I could use?

Thanks

Simon
Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrytrip1 View Post
Thanks for this - are there any other switch part numbers I could use?

Thanks

Simon
would this HRW switch be suitable - 986 613 133 00?

Thanks

Simon
Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #7

I am not aware of any porsche oval switch that is simple on-off. I thought they were all momentary switches which will not do what you want to do. I would love to be proven wrong as I want to do exactly what you want to do with drl. I have a set of the seat heater switches and they are definitely momentary.
Buzz
wpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpruitt View Post
I am not aware of any porsche oval switch that is simple on-off. I thought they were all momentary switches which will not do what you want to do. I would love to be proven wrong as I want to do exactly what you want to do with drl. I have a set of the seat heater switches and they are definitely momentary.
Buzz
I have asked in other forums for any advice - will pass on if I get any replies.

Another thought is to use the cigar lighter blank and change this to a push on / push off type switch - not sure if any exist - will search and advise if I get anywhere

Simon
Old 07-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Homeboy981

Garage
Did you find a solution? Am looking to do similar…IF I can find the proper switch! I want it to look factory on the inside and have several empty "slots" to put them in.

Which switch would be a suitable replacement?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Couldn't you use a the oval Porsche switch to momentary energize a latch relay.
Basically a 12V pulse on, and 12V pulse off.
Have the latch relay then switch the power to a larger load handling relay to the lights.
just a thought.
T

12v Impulse Latching Relay - Smart Switch