986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dead battery - no frunk access (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34143)

Daylorb 02-28-2012 08:48 PM

Dead battery - no frunk access

This has to be one of the worst design decisions ever. 08 RS60 - Dead battery can't pop trunk. Easy enough to wire up to the fuse box, but that didn't do it either. Bought a Black-and-Decker lighter-to-lighter charger at 1050pm local Target, and it opened right up.

Seriously though - did some German decide to play a cruel joke on the world by putting a battery-powered trunk switch on a trunk that closes on the battery?

For a company in 2008 that couldn't find a way to put an Aux input on the damn stereo, I'm shocked they went to the trouble to do an electronic hood switch!!!!

Thankfully the car drives like a dream...

2003S 02-29-2012 01:48 AM

Been discussed many times, but there is an emergency release cable accessible from the drivers side wheel well. A bit challenging to reach, I hear, but it should be there. Some have rerouted to the tow hook hole on the front bumper.

Daylorb 02-29-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003S (Post 280305)
Been discussed many times, but there is an emergency release cable accessible from the drivers side wheel well. A bit challenging to reach, I hear, but it should be there. Some have rerouted to the tow hook hole on the front bumper.

I know - believe me I tried to reach it! I learned a lot of things last night - like my floor jack doesn't fit under the car, the emergency release cable appears to need the wheel removed to remove the cover that is hiding it. Tried to snake my hand up there couldn't get to it. Even ran different gauges of wire to the fusebox, but in the end the lighter-to-lighter worked in 2 seconds flat.

I then rigged up normal jumpers to the battery and am back on the road this morning!

milliemax 02-29-2012 02:13 PM

The emergency "rip cord" for the front trunk is located on the passenger side inside the headlight area. Remove headlight pod and you will see it . Just extend it and re-rout it to the tow "plug" area. The cable moves from center to passenger side, so... drop the cable thru and around (to use as a pulley) the plastic bracket (black) and go back towards the center of the car. This makes it a easy to pull.

Daylorb 02-29-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milliemax (Post 280398)
The emergency "rip cord" for the front trunk is located on the passenger side inside the headlight area. Remove headlight pod and you will see it . Just extend it and re-rout it to the tow "plug" area. The cable moves from center to passenger side, so... drop the cable thru and around (to use as a pulley) the plastic bracket (black) and go back towards the center of the car. This makes it a easy to pull.

Nice - will try. I had read/seen it was on driver's side. Did they switch it at some point?

milliemax 02-29-2012 02:44 PM

the driver's side cable is the one from the door latch, that breaks !!! I have lubed mine and I am careful every time I use it so I do not "break it" as it is 12 years old. SO that is why I installed an emergency "rip cord" for the rear trunk as well as the front "bonnet" Good luck with your project !!!

MileHighBoxster 02-29-2012 05:50 PM

It's in your owner's manual and discussed numerous times herein. Many have had batteries, including me, and dealt with it without moaning. Glad your jump worked.