Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #1

First 200 miles on rebuilt 3.2

So it all started with a track day gone wrong, flatbed tow home. Spun bearing #6.
Now it's back on the road after a complete rebuild. And it's running great again.
List of major parts:
Found a short block to use crank & rods. Sent block for bore & nickasil plating. Heads rebuilt. New chains, guides, ramp, everything involved with oil flow. all new hoses, oil cooler flushed. I'm sure there is more.
Upgrades: 95mm JE pistons, now a 3.3 engine. EBS baffle, 160 temp thermo, UD pulley, catless mid pipes, and 987 air box. And of course an LN IMS bearing.

After driving it several times and around 200+ miles, it pulls hard, runs smooth and sounds great. Much stronger than before, and more to come. I think it is still in a learning mode, though that's just a guess. I live at over 4600 feet, and it now pulls as good as it did at sea level before, or better. The elevation loss is around 15% here. Overall very happy.

now I just need to find my vacuum leak...
from this

to this

Last edited by onaFLYer; 02-01-2012 at 08:06 AM.
onaFLYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Carnut

Nice!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Matt

Very nice indeed. What's the break in period?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #4

Who did the work? Can we ask the cost??
Pinarelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster View Post
Very nice indeed. What's the break in period?
I took it easy for the first 100 miles. Then I got right on it!

Last edited by onaFLYer; 02-01-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarelloman View Post
Who did the work? Can we ask the cost??
I did all the R&R myself, helped a little with piston install. Really just wanted to see how it all went together using that install through the block tool. The rest was done by my new buddy Don at EBS Racing, after hours. Great people at that place.

The cost: I haven't added it all up yet, let's just say over $6000. I had a budget.....

Last edited by onaFLYer; 02-01-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #7

I like your priorities..... forget the house repairs, lets make the boxster go harder and faster
blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Nice. The ECU should be done with learning mode after 200 miles but will continue to "fine tune" as you continue to drive it fast. Congrats!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #9

Did you work out the MAF arrangement yet?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
I like your priorities..... forget the house repairs, lets make the boxster go harder and faster
Haha!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #11

p0102

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Did you work out the MAF arrangement yet?
It keeps setting code P0102, MAF. So I bought a new Bosch unit. Same problem. Been looking for vacuum leaks, borrowed a smoke machine and found a bad hose. It's the vent line from the tank, connects to AOS hose then TB. It has been rubbing on the oil cooler and TB too. I ordered both hose's.

I re-installed my original MAF, runs fine, still sets code. Maybe my connector is bad? It baffles me how something like this happens sitting in the garage with no engine for 3 months...

Last edited by onaFLYer; 02-07-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #12

What year is your car? If you have a 2000 you need to ensure that you have the right sensor installed. There were updates to the sensor which require updates the DME from Porsche. You may have mismatch between sensor and software
Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #13

Quote:
What year is your car? If you have a 2000 you need to ensure that you have the right sensor installed. There were updates to the sensor which require updates the DME from Porsche. You may have mismatch between sensor and software
it's a 2002, and the stamped part number matched. Even had the updated version, 125 01 on the end. Still waiting for my hoses to show up.....

Originally it wouldn't run at all with my MAF plugged in, well it wouldn't accept any throttle. So I unplugged it and it ran OK, which led me to believe the sensor was bad. Apparently it just needed some time to cycle through, since everything was unplugged, batt, DME, all sensors. Now it runs fine when warm, but the vacuum leak is keeping the sec evap from cycling and it won't pass smog. Even w/o a cel. It needs to go through the whole cycle starting cold, at least according to Bentleys version of the "drive cycle".

we'll see.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #14

Man that is annoying....assuming that your DME version and MAF sensor match....sure does sound like a vacum leak...plus your DME is going crazy trying to learn everything again after having no power to maintain settings.

Hopefully you have found the leak but ahhhh I think the leak has to be down stream of the MAF, in the intake tract to throw out the MAF code

Time to break out the smoke machine and go over every section and joint down stream......hope you get it licked
Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Man that is annoying....assuming that your DME version and MAF sensor match....sure does sound like a vacum leak...plus your DME is going crazy trying to learn everything again after having no power to maintain settings.

Hopefully you have found the leak but ahhhh I think the leak has to be down stream of the MAF, in the intake tract to throw out the MAF code

Time to break out the smoke machine and go over every section and joint down stream......hope you get it licked
Update: I replaced the two hose that connect to TB, one from vent line, the other AOS hose. Both showed wear. It idles better when warm, but still throws the MAF code on a Snap-on scanner.

Just purchased a Durametric kit, hope to go for a drive to get some real data this weekend, if it stops snowing. Not much free time lately.
Just over 400 miles on it. Don't want to keep driving too much with evap system inop, might hurt the cats?

Last edited by onaFLYer; 03-01-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaFLYer View Post
Update: I replaced the two hose that connect to TB, one from vent line, the other AOS hose. Both showed wear. It idles better when warm, but still throws the MAF code on a Snap-on scanner.

Just purchased a Durametric kit, hope to go for a drive to get some real data this weekend, if it stops snowing. Not much free time lately.
Just over 400 miles on it. Don't want to keep driving too much with evap system inop, might hurt the cats?
Assuming all your vacum leaks have been addressed..

Do you think it is the larger Cayman MAF housing causing the code? Are you running a special tune or the standard 3.2 one

You could try adapting a smaller (3" dia) but similar Bosh MAF housing. I can find the PNs if you like. You may have to cut or it may press in!! I will be facing the same issues if I use the 987 box.....Have yet to find one

Nice car by the way!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Assuming all your vacum leaks have been addressed..

Do you think it is the larger Cayman MAF housing causing the code? Are you running a special tune or the standard 3.2 one

You could try adapting a smaller (3" dia) but similar Bosh MAF housing. I can find the PNs if you like. You may have to cut or it may press in!! I will be facing the same issues if I use the 987 box.....Have yet to find one

Nice car by the way!
I sure hope it has nothing to do with the housing, the whole point was to make it breath a little more. I haven't tried the 987 MAF yet, maybe I should. It is a stock tune, I plan to change to different TB later, and possibly IPD plenum then I will have it tuned to match.

This morning the light went out by itself, first time it did that. But then it came on again at lunch. Damn.

Any experience with Durametric?

just passed 525 miles today.