Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #21

Yea that's right, most smiles per miles, glow in the dark and stuff mate. Did those headlights myself.... was actually giggling like a little school girl when I first switched them on!!! Not joking but not serious either no worries ;-)

madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #22
Porscheectomy

I love my RoW M030 suspension. There is no body roll, the car just moves over when you turn the wheel. Incredible communication with the chassis too.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #23
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
[QUOTE=blue2000s]I love my RoW M030 suspension. QUOTE]

blue2000s,

Did your car come with this setup or did you add it? It intrigues me, but I have reservations at the same time. For my 'old man' style of driving the standard suspension is more than good enough. OTOH, my suspension needs to be freshened, and I do like the stance the M030 provides. Since I'm already riding on big tires and wheels I'm concerned about making the ride quality worse. And lastly, I've never had issues with clearance or bottoming out. I don't want to see that change. I guess this is why I haven't done anything to the suspension.....

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #24
Porscheectomy

[QUOTE=ddb]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I love my RoW M030 suspension. QUOTE]

blue2000s,

Did your car come with this setup or did you add it? It intrigues me, but I have reservations at the same time. For my 'old man' style of driving the standard suspension is more than good enough. OTOH, my suspension needs to be freshened, and I do like the stance the M030 provides. Since I'm already riding on big tires and wheels I'm concerned about making the ride quality worse. And lastly, I've never had issues with clearance or bottoming out. I don't want to see that change. I guess this is why I haven't done anything to the suspension.....

ddb
It's actually the RoW part that lowers the car. You can piece together the US M030 and the car stays at the same hight.

I installed mine almost as soon as I bought the car 6 years ago. The ride is stiffer, but I like that, feels like a sports car, not a GT.

It's lower with alot of front overhang, so you have to watch out for things that you might not have before. I can still make it up my softened curb driveway, but if I go down it straight, the front end will rub slightly.

Here's my option on this. I bought a sports car. I want to feel the chassis, the road and have the agility of a sports car. I didn't buy it to show off and I didn't buy it to satisfy a mid-life crisis. The M030 brought out alot of what I wanted in this car. I would have quickly lost interest in the car and wouldn't have had it long if I didn't make this change.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #25
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I would have quickly lost interest in the car and wouldn't have had it long if I didn't make this change.
Thanks for the reply, blue. I'm still unsure about what to do with my suspension. I'm confident at some point something will provide the needed clarity.

I'm surprised I've kept my 986 this long (almost 7 years) and still enjoy it as much as I do. Other than my first car, which I kept for 13 years (and served as my DD while I had a 944, a couple of Corvettes, etc.), this is by far the longest I've had a car without getting bored with it. I think it is a great testament to the brilliance of the Boxster!

ddb
Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #26

A V8 in place of the mickey mouse 2.5........
mrmiatanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Thanks for the reply, blue. I'm still unsure about what to do with my suspension. I'm confident at some point something will provide the needed clarity.

I'm surprised I've kept my 986 this long (almost 7 years) and still enjoy it as much as I do. Other than my first car, which I kept for 13 years (and served as my DD while I had a 944, a couple of Corvettes, etc.), this is by far the longest I've had a car without getting bored with it. I think it is a great testament to the brilliance of the Boxster!

ddb
Installing a set of custom coilovers (PSS-9's) was perhaps the most significant mod that was performed on my vehicle. My boxster took on a whole new life with respect to handling . The difference in balance and poise was undeniable . The vehicle just felt so much more "connected" and tactile (and still does !). And, in my opinion , ride quality did suffer a bit. In fact, with the adjustable dampening it was improved .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 07-12-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #28
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Installing a set of custom coilovers (PSS-9's) was perhaps the most significant mod that was performed on my vehicle.
I don't doubt it for one second. From most accounts that I've read the transformation is remarkable, which is kind of scary when you think about how well these cars handle right out of the box (pun intended). I'm also impressed with the changes described by the M030/ROW MO3O converts.

At some point I will have to do one of three things with regard to the suspension: 1) install new, stock springs and shocks 2) install M030/ROW M030 3) coilovers. While I'm sure I would be impressed with changes 2 or 3, I wonder if that's my best choice.

I've taken my car on some long trips, and may take even longer trips in the future. So I'm not sure I would want to deal with ride quality issues on these longer trips. Some may say it is a sports car and handing is what it is all about and you shouldn't be so concerned with ride quality. Maybe I shouldn't, but I am.

Were your PSS-9's installed before you started running your 19's? If so, how big was the change with regard to ride quality after you put the 19's on?

Thanks,

ddb