Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2005, 07:14 PM   #1

Question Slight Vibration driving

I guessed that we all have suffered this. I put my summer tires on and at 80 to 90 I get a slight vibration at the wheel. Should I bring in the car to STS or go to the dealer for the balancing? I can't imagine STS, the old WTC, not being able to handle it. Your opinion?
Dealer I would have to go with the vaseline ready if you know what I mean.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:01 AM   #2

Dealership will double charge you for this kind of work and others can do it as well or better.

I recommend calling a Discount Tire Company location near you and ask them if they have a "road force" balancing system made by Hunter (9700) or a better machine that will put some pressure on the tires while balancing. If they don't have it, ask which location does have it. You can also go to Hunter's website and find a shop with a machine that will do road force balancing for you.

I just had this done on my boxster and finally got rid of the wheel and rear end shakes I had since buying my tires last year. Tried "normal" spin balancing three times and it didn't get it right.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:48 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Dealership will double charge you for this kind of work and others can do it as well or better.

I recommend calling a Discount Tire Company location near you and ask them if they have a "road force" balancing system made by Hunter (9700) or a better machine that will put some pressure on the tires while balancing. If they don't have it, ask which location does have it. You can also go to Hunter's website and find a shop with a machine that will do road force balancing for you.

I just had this done on my boxster and finally got rid of the wheel and rear end shakes I had since buying my tires last year. Tried "normal" spin balancing three times and it didn't get it right.
MUch appreciated already made appointment with WTC in New Hyde Park, alignment is $ 70 and high speed balancing he said either 5 or 10 each tire. I will research the Hunter info you gave me.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:20 PM   #4

When you say vibration at the wheel, you mean steering wheel, right?

I used to have a vibration I could feel in steering wheel of my 99' Box. I got the tires balanced with a Hunter 9700, but that didn't help. Then I got an alignment - some of the things were a bit tweaked, and those were fixed, but i still had the vibration.

I read somewhere to adjust the steering wheel - ie pull it all the way out, or push it all the way in. Make sure the the lever that holds it is secure when you put it back. I don't know how to explain it, but i don't feel any vibration in my steering wheel anymore.

Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:30 AM   #5

actually road force balancing is pretty much a waste of time. I have had the same trouble in my 2k 986 and what will solve the problem for you is to find a shop that will perform front wheel high speed on the car balancing. Coincidently I had mine done for the first time this year, last week. Since again I have a modified tight suspension I feel every little bit of the tires when they get out of balance. Regular balancing only offers balancing up to 55mph by the machines. When someone does the high speed balancing on the front two tires while on the car, they will spin the tires to about 100+ mph and feel the front quarter panels and springs for the front wheels and will adjust the weights until the shimmy(vibration) goes away.

I will tell you not everyone does this. In my area, wash dc, there is only one place that I have been able to find in the 2 state +DC area that will do this. So you wont find an easy way to find a place to perform this type of service for you, but it is VERY and I mean VERY well worth it! I can gaurantee it will correct you shaking unless you have two conditions. First your tires have worn completely unevenly or else two you rims might be slightly bent. Lets just hope its a balacing issue.