986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Temperature Gauge Issue (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24018)

babyboxster 03-14-2010 11:33 AM

Temperature Gauge Issue

Hi Folks,

Just a quick one, hope you can help.

My temperature gauge red light is now flashing. However, the needle is stuck at the bottom at 40. There is no smell whatsoever, the coolant is topped up. However, the coolant was quite warm when i opened the cap, but this might be normal (it wasn't boiling hot).

Any ideas why this might be? possible that the needle has stopped working or have the fans/radiators possibly stopped?

All advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

Bladecutter 03-14-2010 02:42 PM

Check your coolant level.

BC.

BYprodriver 03-14-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyboxster
Hi Folks,

Just a quick one, hope you can help.

My temperature gauge red light is now flashing. However, the needle is stuck at the bottom at 40. There is no smell whatsoever, the coolant is topped up. However, the coolant was quite warm when i opened the cap, but this might be normal (it wasn't boiling hot).

Any ideas why this might be? possible that the needle has stopped working or have the fans/radiators possibly stopped?

All advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

Check your owners manual, flashing means coolant level is low, if it goes steady on I think that means something else.

babyboxster 03-15-2010 09:09 AM

Hi folks,

thanks for getting back, really appreciated.

the coolant level is topped up and there aren't any smells either. Seems quite strange. Any other ideas as to what it may be?

Possible malfunction of the needle maybe?

Thanks again

JFP in PA 03-15-2010 09:26 AM

Both the coolant MIL light and strange guage reading can be caused by a failing coolant temp sensor................

Oaktown 986 03-15-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Both the coolant MIL light and strange guage reading can be caused by a failing coolant temp sensor................

That could be it; I changed radiator caps about a year ago with my 986 due to failure of my old 986 model cap. Now i have a 996 model cap, and it works great. The side-effect is that flashing light is perpetually on. That'd be what I check.

J

Oaktown 986 03-27-2011 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oaktown 986
That could be it; I changed radiator caps about a year ago with my 986 due to failure of my old 986 model cap. Now i have a 996 model cap, and it works great. The side-effect is that flashing light is perpetually on. That'd be what I check.

J

Just replaced my coolant expansion tank out in the rear boot. No more flashing light....

97 Boxster 01-10-2012 11:59 AM

Mine did this today after 3 days of sitting and a big temp change outside. Drove the car 4 about 15 minutes and turned off the car and did a restart and now no light. I will check the coolant though. :)