986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Just ordered ROW M030 suspension kit (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22374)

jjanari 10-09-2009 07:12 AM

Just ordered ROW M030 suspension kit

After some debate regarding whether to order the ROW M030 kit vs. PSS9, I ordered the M030 for my '02 boxster base. I decided that I might get 1-2 autoX a year, if lucky, as I've got little to no time of late; most of my driving is on the street. I'm also breaking tradition by having someone else work on the box by installing the kit. a couple of weeks ago, I installed tarett's endlinks. I noticed some tightening up of the suspension, but not much. then again, I'm on a very tired suspension (91k). I'll try and post up impressions once I get the kit installed.
-jimmy

JAAY 10-09-2009 07:36 AM

I'd love to see some close up side view shots of the wheel gap if you can do that for me. Thanks

Kirk 10-09-2009 07:39 AM

Probably a wise choice. Coilovers are nice, but they really need to be setup properly for ride height, corner balance if you like, alignment, etc. That can be a real pain. I'm betting the RoW M030 will give you a VERY nice improvement over a tired, old suspension.

Kirk

jjanari 10-09-2009 07:48 AM

I will definitely try and post some before and after pix. However, i suspect it won't be all that dramatic as the ROW is a pretty conservative drop, i.e. 20 mm front and 10 mm, iirc. the streets here in atlanta aren't the best and I've got a ridiculously steep driveway!

coilovers are definitely a nice upgrade, but somewhat overkill for me at this point (and pricey). as a practical matter, it's really hard to beat the kit i got (from suncoast) in terms of what you get for the price, i.e. new springs, new struts, and new sways for $1088.00; I also got new front strut mounts since I think one of them is going bad (around $45 for the pair).

cnavarro 10-09-2009 08:24 AM

You'll be happy with the end result. It's a drastic change from the stock setup but handles like a dream. Damn near cut off 10 seconds on my autox times, when compared to the best time of the day. The only other pieces we also did was Pedro's technobar, wevo tranny mounts, and gt3 control arms. We chose not to do the sway bars, leaving a stock rear and putting an S bar on the front (to offset the handling characteristics of the added weight of the tiptronic in the rear).

tommy986 10-09-2009 08:32 AM

Charles,

Are the Bilstein Sports the standard shock for the M030 kit, or something else?
What part number is that?

thanks

Topless 10-09-2009 08:35 AM

+1 on the ROW M030 suspension. A great value for a factory tuned sport suspension package. Just add fat sticky tires, dial in the alignment, add in a little driving skill and you will turn some fast laps.

jjanari 10-09-2009 09:06 AM

my understanding is that the ROW M030 kit does use the bilstein sports, which are shorter in length than the bilstein HDs (and firmer) to accommodate the shorter ROW springs (someone correct me if I'm wrong). don't know the part #, but here's the link to the kit I ordered from Suncoast:

http://www.e-partssales.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code =ROWKITS&Category_Code=986sus

I assume you are talking about the ROW (the euro version) of the M030 kit that I just ordered, as oppose to the u.s version, which is simply the M030.

cnavarro 10-09-2009 01:08 PM

Yes, we used the M030 ROW springs, which they do make a set specific for a tip. I used the Bilstein Sport shocks, as I could get them for a better price and just bought the springs separately.

Cloudsurfer 10-09-2009 06:32 PM

I believe the M030 still uses Sachs dampers, but I could be wrong (can't exactly go look at mine right now). Either way, it's probably the best option for the street when comparing cost/benefit.

cnavarro 10-09-2009 08:00 PM

According to Suncoast and a few other references, the ROW M030 kit uses Bilstein Sport dampeners.

Cloudsurfer 10-09-2009 08:13 PM

Well then, I feel even better about what's on my car now :)

2K3_Boxster_S 10-12-2009 08:11 PM

Can somebody post pics installed?? just want to sit how it sits. I know thats not the reason for this product, just curious if .75 inch up front and .40 inch out back is noticeable and if it looks level. Thanks :cheers: