Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #1

spark plug seizure

Has anybody experienced their spark plugs being seized/stuck in the engine after leaving them in for a longtime (without reaching the mileage requiring a change)

jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
Bob Hindson Racing

Sure have, and if more people knew what anti-seize was there'd be a lot less of it happening!
Old 09-29-2009, 03:46 AM   #3

Jaykay, you need to learn the proper service intervals for your Boxster. A spark plug change is NOT only mileage dependent, it is also time sensitive.

For example a 2002 Boxster 986 is every 60,000 miles or 4 years.

For a 2006 Boxster 987 it is every 40,000 or 4 years (since my car will be 4-years young in March 2010, I am changing the spark plugs early, in October, as part of my winter hibernation prep.). My current mileage is about 33K.

Spark plugs are cheap maintenance, and one of the car's hardest working parts.

Search some old post regarding the use of anti-seize vs. NOT to use and Porsche's recommendation regarding such...and the proper torque setting. This was (using anti-seize) hotly debated a few years ago here.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
Bob Hindson Racing

Considering how easy it to change plugs on these cars, it qualifies as really cheap maintenance.

Technically speaking, the Porsche torque specs for plugs are with the threads dry, but in our experience, dry plug threads are not the best idea, and after 40 years of using anti-seize we've never had a problem. Certainly had problems getting some plugs out due to the lack of anti-seize, however, so take that for what it's worth.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Has anybody experienced their spark plugs being seized/stuck in the engine after leaving them in for a longtime (without reaching the mileage requiring a change)
Aluminum is corrosion resistant but not against dissimular metal corrosion, so when aluminum is in contact with iron, corrosion happens. Antisieze works great a little goes a long way
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
Engine Surgeon

Best and most conductive anti-seize I have found is Milk Of Magnesia....
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #7

I have not had the car for very long so I could say whether ant-seize was used or not. I personally do use it for every other car I have had. For all I know these plugs are the same ones that came from the factory!!!! I am guessing that the previous owner had let it go as the mileage for that change has still yet to be reached! The service hist shows nothing...

Is there a good procedure on here that will direct me on how to do it? Looks like I will have to know about a central rear jacking point, jack stands/pads etc...or maybe it can be done with one wheel off at a time. It like the wheel would have to come off anyway. I am a bit hesitant if I am going get a seized plug!

thanks for all the feedback
Old 09-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Bob Hindson Racing

Super easy. Just jack one wheel at a time, do that side's plugs (and check the o-rings and plastic spark plug tubes, and inspect coil packs), then repeat for the other side.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #9

I'm thinking about just loosening the stock plugs then retightening with a torque wrench since I'm only about halfway to 60k miles. The stock plugs still have plenty of life left in them and that would take lesson the likelihood of them seizing in the head.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I'm thinking about just loosening the stock plugs then retightening with a torque wrench since I'm only about halfway to 60k miles. The stock plugs still have plenty of life left in them and that would take lesson the likelihood of them seizing in the head.

If you are going to do all this work, just buy the new set of plugs for $68 and be done with it.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #11

My car is seven years old with 17k miles; original plugs. Guess I have another job lined up.

Milk of Magnesia...Jake, you pulling my leg?

Or is that to settle my stomach after I break several coil packs?
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
Bob Hindson Racing

If you're going to bother loosening the plugs, you may as well just replace them.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Engine Surgeon

MOM is the best anti-seize that I have ever experienced.. It doesn't effect spark plug grounding while protecting the plug from seizure.

I learned this trick as a Marine working with Gas Turbine engines.. MOM is the only thing we were allowed to use on the ignitor plugs that screwed into a 55,000 buck combustor.

Nothing on your M96 gets as hot as the coolest portion of a gas turbine combustor... We actually had directives that called for MOM.

I have also used tooth paste, dental floss, playdough and Ajax/ Comet in the creation of engines over time :-)
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #14

The first thing I did when I bought my 02s 3 years ago (37k at the time) was to do the 60k maint . It gave me a better idea of the condition of the engine..plug colour etc.

Jim

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #15

MOM form the drug store? Spounds funny but when you think of the composition it makes perfect sense.

I ususally tighten to load up the gasket and then loosen and then final torque plugs....any weirdness on the M96?

Can anyone recomend jack stand placement and a proper pad for one rear corner at at time to get at the plugs? Or do I need to use a centre jack point somewhere and then place the stand and pad under the rear rocker jack point and let the car down on one jack stand/pad.....two sound better to me.

....i need a real garage