986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Window Out of Sync (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21519)

986Shaft 07-28-2009 10:06 PM

Window Out of Sync

Has anyone experienced a situation where the window gets out of sync with the door. We have a 2003 Boxster S (hangar queen, at the moment) with this problem. When the door is open, the window goes all the way up, rather than ~1" down. This puts it in the wrong position for closing the door.

Is there an easy fix?

sparker 07-29-2009 04:22 AM

I haven't experienced this, however I would think it would be worth disconnecting the battery and reconnecting again. Might re-set the system?

Sam

Lil bastard 07-29-2009 04:53 AM

Disconnecting or discharging the battery is exactly what causes this condition. My battery is pulled with each winter storage and I need to restablish the limit positions every spring as described below.

From the factory repair manual:

Effect of disconnection or total discharge of the battery on electrical systems in the vehicle, subsequent measures:

64 52 Power windows:

Problem :
The limit positions of the power windows are deleted from the control module
when the battery is disconnected and connected.

Remedy:
Manually close each power window as far as it will go, then press the rocker
switch for closing the window again. The limit position of the respective window is
now stored in the control module again.

Now, you would do this with the top in the UP position to set that window height as the limit position to be stored.

:cheers:

BoxsterSbob 07-29-2009 11:09 AM

It happen to me too. The OEM battery died and was replaced. Then I noticed that the passenger side window was not dropping correctly when you opened the door. The dealer fixed it under warranty, but said it was the motor?

Thanks for sharing!

bob

986Shaft 07-30-2009 07:15 AM

Thanks for the tips.

gregdacat 07-30-2009 10:13 AM

This is the kind of nugget that makes this forum priceless.

986Shaft 07-30-2009 09:56 PM

Again, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, it still has the problem. The window works fine with the inside door handle, but goes to the wrong position when the outside handle is used. Perhaps there is a loose wire...

Lil bastard 07-31-2009 07:47 AM

If that's not it, my thoughts go to the convertible top relay (double sized relay in the kick panel). Part of this relay controls the window drop function. First thing would be to remove this relay and reseat it into the relay panel to be sure it wasn't accidentally kicked loose.

You can check parts of the relay with a multimeter, but you said you were looking for an easy fix, so I don't know if you're comfortable doing these checks. If you are, let me know and I'll get into the procedure.

:cheers: