986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Boxster Rear Foglight? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2118)

PeterJoyce 02-21-2005 10:52 AM

Boxster Rear Foglight?

This is a simple question. Is it true that all Boxster's only have a left rear fog light, and no rear foglight on the right side? Thanks.

PasadenaBoxster 02-21-2005 12:10 PM

Not sure about other years, but this is true for the 2005.

Tool Pants 02-21-2005 01:22 PM

It is true. There is a socket on the right side for a bulb, and a wire to it, but no power in the wire.

RandallNeighbour 02-21-2005 01:27 PM

Well, Toolpants is correct, but mine was wired and had a hot lead to BOTH sides.

You can, however, simply run a wire from the left side to the right and power that rascal if you like.

I LOVE my twin-fog light setup. Why?

Ride my bumper on the freeway and with a tug of the light switch, you think I am braking hard when my foot is still on the fuel pedal and you'll back off quickly.

JonnyBGood 02-21-2005 02:31 PM

The rear fog lamp is actually only one one side due to laws in Europe. Its just a strange left over thing for us US people :)

As I have read, I don't think there is a wiring harness to the other side, so there is no point in trying to plug in a bulb :)

JBG

IceBox 02-21-2005 02:46 PM

Randall, do you drive backwards when it's foggy to freak out other drivers coming the other way?

Tool Pants 02-21-2005 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Well, Toolpants is correct, but mine was wired and had a hot lead to BOTH sides.

Then you have a weird car or someone did a 'hack.'

This is how we run the jumper wire to get both fog lights on.

PeterJoyce 02-21-2005 03:07 PM

Thanks everyone!

RandallNeighbour 02-21-2005 05:12 PM

Icebox, I've never <i>tried</i> to drive backwards down the freeway, but doggonit, I'll find me a good foggy day and try it out for you :cheers:

Toolpants, I'll go with someone who owned the car before me did a hack. The "wierd car" option is not something I'm comfortable with just yet.

aglsteven 02-21-2005 08:37 PM

Living in a Right Hand Drive country, my fog light is on the right hand side only!

I had an old MKII Golf GTI that was LHD, which I imported to the UK. I ran a wire from one side of the boot (sorry, trunk) to the other and plugged in the bulb there. Too easy :-)

Tool Pants 02-21-2005 09:22 PM

I am on the UK and German Boxster boards. What is interesting is that sometimes the bulb socket that has no power to it, has a bulb in it. Confuses them because they want to know why it will not go on. So they switch fog light bulbs, and it still will not go on.

TomGW 05-09-2022 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool Pants (Post 13905)
I am on the UK and German Boxster boards. What is interesting is that sometimes the bulb socket that has no power to it, has a bulb in it. Confuses them because they want to know why it will not go on. So they switch fog light bulbs, and it still will not go on.

Resurrecting a 17 year old thread but have just wasted half an hour trying to figure why this bulb wouldn't light. I was replacing a brake light bulb and then found that I had a second bulb that wasn't working.

husker boxster 05-13-2022 04:16 AM

Cool! An old thread with RandallNeighbour and Tool Pants. Haven't heard from Tool Pants in decades.

lkchris 05-31-2022 01:36 PM

Learn about rear foglights here

Rear Fog Lights