Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #1

Popping/Ticking from Steering Rack (?)

Good morning-
Been lurking in the background long enough, time for a post!!

I have a 2001 S that I'm having a bit of an issue diagnosing an issue with. When turning the steering wheel, there is a very systematic popping coming from the front end of the car. It seems to be just to the passenger side of center, very close to where the steering shaft meets the rack. The noise is generated rolling or still and I can get about 3-4 "clicks" prior to the tires ever moving. It is almost like the steering wheel is controlling the second hand of a watch, for a lack of a better way to describe. I've done a good bit of searching and have found similar issues to be diagnosed as wheel bearings, shock tower bearings, steering outer shaft bearing, etc, etc. I enjoy tinkering with my toys as much as playing with them so I would like to resolve the issue w/ out having to take to my local p shop but don't want to throw money where it is not needed (also read of matting surface behind hub becoming rusty and creating similar issues). I did make a short video this morning to provide but just noticed that I can only upload pics so if there is question let me know and I'll post it to youtube and link back. Thank you so much for your assistance in advance.

NASA986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #2

For anyone else experiencing similar, my particular issue was strut bearing. Replaced both and ticking gone.

NASA986S is offline   Reply With Quote