Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #1

Question How long can a boxster really last?

Hey all,

Interesting discussion topic for all current and future hopeful Boxster owners...
I was wondering how many miles people have seen on a Boxster that is still running. I know Randall has one with over 100k, but of the 42 1998s that I saw for sale on vehix, none had more than 90k... what happens when they get over 100,000 miles? Do they keep running, or become so expensive to maintain that they get parted out?

I ask because I am a fairly new owner and am trying to decide if I can afford to keep my car. Like Randall, I bought mine (a 1998 that currently has 72k miles) for about 10000, then spent about six more trying to get it to where I want it.

Unfortunately, as happy as I am every time I drive it, I can't help but wonder if I will ever be able to get it to the point where it is a reliable daily driver... It seems like every month or two something goes wrong that costs at least a grand to fix.

If I am going to keep the car, I would like to think that as long as I keep up with the scheduled maintenance, I should be able to keep it running indefinitely, but I just don't think that is logical based on what I have seen so far.

I know many of you have older boxsters, please share your thoughts for how long you plan to keep yours running

Last edited by dgentileksu; 12-08-2008 at 01:38 PM.
dgentileksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #2

Realisticly, vehix isnt the right place to be making an inference from... there are a ton of older high mileage boxsters out there, you just have to look for them.

I have a 1997 boxster pushing almost 134.5k miles.. i bought it May of 2006 with 92k miles on the clock.. it has been my daily driver ever since.

Talking about keeping it running, yes it is a pain and it does seem like every few months something goes wrong. Point taken, parts wear out from use and it is a Porsche.

To me, the car is reliable enough to be a daily driver, in my opinion more reliable than a ford or chevy.. even a toyota or honda with compareable mileage.

I plan on keeping the car running for at least another 3 or 4 years until im out of college when I can afford to by a newer 911.. and at the rate im going mileage wise, I would expect to hit around 170k-190k miles or so.

Cheers,

Adam
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #3

Right after I replaced the motor, the transmission, the coolant tank, the instrument cluster, the sending unit, the entire suspension, the bearings, the wheels and tires, the brake lines, disks and pads, most of the interior, and a dozen other things I can't remember, the car became as dependable as a Toyota!

BTW, I will own my car when it hits 200k or far more. I did not graduate from college and my wife says I can only buy a newer Porsche when she dies (using insurance money) and she's real healthy.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 12-08-2008 at 06:43 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #4

Cared for properly

I know of a daily driver over 207k miles, many over 100k. He still takes it on 3k mile trips regularly. It isn't his only car so he has a choice.

Any car will have issues when it gets to the 100k mile mark, things just wear out. That is why it is priced where it is. But I'd rather have a well maintained well used car than one that sat in the garage rotting and rusting away.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgentileksu
What happens when they get over 100,000 miles? Do they keep running, or become so expensive to maintain that they get parted out?
I sure hope they keep running, especially since my 2000 S just crossed over 99,000 miles. It runs great and everything works! Suspension needs a small amount of refresh (the shocks are worn), so I will be putting in the ROW M030 kit soon. Full disclosure: my engine was replaced 30,000 miles ago (original suffered IMS failure).

I think the key to keeping any car running well is regular maintenance (to the schedule book or better), a garage, and regular driving (at least one or two days a week).

My impression from 1.5 years of Boxster ownership is that these cars are really well put together using high quality parts. Like any modern car they are complex and things can and do go wrong, but overall reliability is very, very good. Especially for a roadster. Even Consumer Reports' reliability ratings are favorable and their recent satisfaction survey showed the Boxster is one of the most satisfying cars with >80% of owners saying they would make the same purchase decision again.

Every Porsche model has had engine issues: air/oil cooled 911s suffer a variety of ills (premature valve guide wear, broken head studs, oil leaks, etc.); 944s too (spun bearings, timing chain failures, etc.); 928s (cooling); and more. 986s aren't alone, and it is a shame, but for every IMS failure there are likely dozens of cars with engines that will comfortably go 175,000+ miles before needing any sort of refresh.

Enjoy your car and stop worrying!!
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #6

I bought mine, a 1998 986 (built December 97) from family right at 88k for $10K. The car had been serviced by the dealership from day one and maintained in garage and driven often. I had plenty to fix over the past 2 years: water pump, starter, cracking back window, rear left control arm, engine mount, left semi axle (warped from after the mount failed). I have a slight RMS leak, and I will need to replace the clutch soon. I also have a suspension rebuild on the sort list.

I must admit that with 125K on the odometer, I get nervous about potential engine failures. Reading the articles about and posts from Jake Raby and the M96 failures I expect a failure sooner rather than later. My current strategy is to get the suspension done next and probably the clutch soon thereafter. Even if the engine ends up failing, the rest of the car is in great condition and I intend on keeping it running and tracking it as often as I can. I just stopped using it as a daily driver and will focus it on time trials, AX and DEs.

If/When the engine fails, (hopefully a long time from now), it will be an opportunity for an upgraded engine from Raby...

Then again if I win the lottery I will switch to a GT3 RSR but we know how that goes! ;-)

Michael
Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #7

105k on the clock, and it gets driven every day, I will tell you that the wife isn't easy on the little car, she knows what it is for. We are on the 3rd water pump, and just had the top replaced during the summer, other than that it has never even so much as hick upped. These cars are great. I should mention that the car does get regular service at the dealership. (My wife married a Porsche tech)
Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #8

I'm at 82K and its better than when I bought it at just under 50k. It just keeps running strong. For as hard as I drive it it has really held up well. I fixed a number of things that are common to the model but compared to other high performance cars it hasn't been that bad. Heck I spend more money keeping my kids MB 190E running than the Boxster.

So what's the worst that can happen? I blow the engine at 100k and am forced to replace with a 3.4L. Could that be all bad?
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #9

I bought my 2000 Boxster 2.5 years ago with 43K on the clock. I was the third owner. I have done a lot of non-essential mods to the car, but I think it was only the clutch, brakes and rear window that actially needed fixing. The car does seem to be very well built . It now has 83K on the odometer and is running very strong.

I think I have spent more modding the car than it originally cost me (21K) so I plan on driving it until it needs a new engine, then I will put in the biggest and best I can afford. My first choice would be one of Jake's 3.6L engines, but I may have to settle for a rebuilt 3.4L or 3.6L. Hopefully I can get another 80K out of the car before I need one.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #10

2000 S, Third owner
Bought it a year ago with 98,500 on it. Just hit the magic 100,000 mark and runs like a "Bat of of 'ell"
New clutch, RMS, AOS, MAS, CV boots, front motor mount, and windshield since buying it. Not unreasonable considering the miles on the car. ALL cars wear out at some point. The mechanic$ at the $hop I support, report all is well and the only impending issue may be O2 sensors, sometime in the future. (They don't last forever) Eager to find someplace safe where I can find out what the top speed is!
Only had it up to 130 so far.
Glad to hear that the 3.2 is the most reliable as to D-chunk faillures. Don't want to find out the hard way how many miles before I need to contact Raby.
Not sure how long I will keep the Boxster, but as long as I am having fun and can still afford to support the local $hop, who knows?
Interesting sociological phenomenon owning a Porsche for the first time. Everyone treats you differently when you own one, even friends and family,
and EVERYONE wants to go for a ride! Previously drove Volvo 1800ES Sport Wagon.
(Chuckle moment) Woman in my office remarks when she finds out I have a sailboat (only a small one), "Oh, you have a sailboat AND a Porsche."
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:16 AM   #11

High Milage Boxster Here.....

Hello all!

So like a voyeur, I have watched and learned from these forums without ever really sharing or jumping in.. (haha). So first, THANK YOU for all of the info, advice and things I have learned.

I did want to weigh in on mileage, as I am starting to believe I may be more of a pioneer than I thought! I say this because I am getting close to 160K on mine. I just put a 600 dollar water pump in (only expense so far), and HOPE this keeps me going through the summer, and then I will reassess the car value/situation later.

My plan is to get myself a new one (no more than 3 years old) when I hit some key life milestones (pun intended) in 2019. Can it make it there? Hmmm -- not sure, but appears NO ONE is sure. Even the mechanics scratch their heads and say I am a first for mileage seen on a Boxster.

I will say this -- maybe it dies tomorrow, maybe it goes another 100K. Regardless, it rides and sounds as smooth as a new one... No knocking, no leaks, no noise...

I'll keep ya'll posted -- for now, I feel as though I need to keep running it, just to see and let the world know what they can really do.. hahaha!

Last edited by boxsterlover77; 06-03-2017 at 05:24 AM.
boxsterlover77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #12

Marc has 310k miles on his and the engine has never been opened up. Pedro has somewhere around 200K IIRC but he has done a lot on the engine, most proactively.

Take care of it, fluids more regularly than any factory recommendation. But most of all, enjoy.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #13

If you want a speedy,reliable convertible it is hard to bet an S2000.But it is compromised for any long distance driving.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #14

97 boxster here, 100,000km, original water pump, and all. All I think my indy had to change was ignition coils, sparkplugs, the MAF (once) and the brake switch (cheap plastic). The suspension & links were redone all over with brand new though. Car feels just like new... 20 s'thing years later. Go figure... funny stuff
Old 06-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #15

Porsche cars are certainly not 'perfect' engineering, nothing is in fact, but they are certainly a good product none the less. I'll buy again
Old 06-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #16

Even the best Boxster can be an awful financial proposition when you see the real world value. Read this and weep:
No Reserve: Modified 2000 Porsche Boxster S 6-Speed | Bring a Trailer
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #17

I'm stupid enough to buy a 120k mile Porsche 986 from 98 2.5L

Engine/transmission and many other issues..

Have overhauled the engine - piston broke, cylinder lining replaced with sleeve.. etc

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
perspectivism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #18

Also have a 97 base with just over 105k KM, still on original water pump (maybe they made them tougher back then?), just had original flat topped AOS changed out as preventative. Had a new clutch put in when I got it about 15k ago, did LN IMS upgrade at the same time for 'new owner peace of mind', though it probably didn't need it. Still going strong... fingers crossed...
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
Also have a 97 base with just over 105k KM, still on original water pump (maybe they made them tougher back then?), just had original flat topped AOS changed out as preventative. Had a new clutch put in when I got it about 15k ago, did LN IMS upgrade at the same time for 'new owner peace of mind', though it probably didn't need it. Still going strong... fingers crossed...
62K Miles is actually low mileage
Old 06-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #20

I have a 99 Boxster. I purchased it in Sep 09 with 104,000 miles.
Today it has just under 298,000 miles. I believe it has the original IMS.
I am fortunate that I live relatively close to Woody. Some of the parts I've gotten from him have saved my bacon on more than one occasion: two radiators, an axle, sport seats, a rear trunk release cable and a space-saver spare tire.
MNC-I

mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote