986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Winter Driving (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1701)

guenzak 11-29-2004 03:00 PM

Winter Driving

I just recently bought a 98 Boxster and was wondering how the car handled in the winter in a few inches of snow. I haven't heard much on the subject. I used to own a Z3 and that was absolutly useless in any snow in spite of the fact that it had traction control. That was a front engine car though and I am assuming the Boxster will be better since the engine weight is over the drive axle.

Thanks Mark :D

QporscheQ 11-29-2004 06:54 PM

I've never driven mine in the snow, however I heard a funny story about a friend of a friend who tried to drive theirs one day in a few inches of snow and was able to do nothing more than a few doughnuts in the cul-de-sac before giving up and taking his wife's sport-ute to work leaving the Boxster in the middle of the street for his wife to deal with because he couldnt get it back up the incline of the driveway.

Personally, I wouldn’t imagine having any problem driving mine in the snow, I’m just more worried about “the other” guy who has no business driving in the snow regardless of what he’s got. Plus you get all the crap ( salt, sand ect . . . ) all over the car and I can barely stand having a few of water spots on it.

Alienz 11-29-2004 10:40 PM

You need snow tires. You can't drive any rear wheel drive car without snows. I drove mine last winter and it was very good. I remember going up a steep hill and passing a honda stuck in the snow. If you can get the 16 inch wheels with snows that would be even better.

tomatjs 11-30-2004 02:06 PM

What does salt and sand do to your soft top? Do you wash them off every time you come home? I am pretty sure that the exposure to those elements would shorten the life of the soft top.

PeterJoyce 11-30-2004 02:34 PM

Pipes would be frozen.

PeterJoyce 11-30-2004 02:35 PM

How many of you have a heated garage?

Alienz 12-02-2004 12:22 PM

How would the salt and sand get to the soft top? Never had a problem there.

scubaguy10 12-07-2004 05:13 PM

I recently bought a 97, and then got a nice matching hardtop off eBay because I plan to drive it through the winter. Admittedly, with 255/40/17s in the rear, I'm sure it will be really squirelly in the snow. On the other hand, it couldn't be any worse than my first new car, a 78 Z 28.

I actually like driving in the snow, but here in Ohio, like most places, the biggest problem is all the morons who really need to take the bus when it snows.

Brucelee 12-08-2004 07:24 AM

You do need 4 quality snow tires, ie Blizzaks or Mich Artic Alpens.

Being that it is mid engine, the traction is quite good if you keep the power appropriate (it is not a Subaru!).

On the other hand, in deep snow, the car is very low so you can get stuck irrespective of the tires etc.

Lastly, many folks buy a beater for winter, as the corrosion issues, chances of accidents etc. make the risk too great.

As a dealer, I don't purchase cars from the snow belt as they are "beat up" much more so than say, cars from SO CAL and the South West.

The difference is remarkable.

Good luck

Pilot2519j 12-08-2004 07:48 AM

Re: Winter Driving

Quote:

Originally posted by guenzak
I just recently bought a 98 Boxster and was wondering how the car handled in the winter in a few inches of snow.
Thanks Mark :D

I live in NY and what I can tell you is that driving in snow is an experience. If you have ever driven an old VW bug that would be something similar. Rear engine light car. It just kept on chugging in the snow. The problem with the Boxster is the power. You have to drive the car slow otherwise wheels will spin on you. Last winter my first I had no problems and it did snow quite heavily in the city. I am more worried about the imbeciles in SUV that think that their cars own the road tailgate you at 30 or even higher speeds in the snow.
EASY DOES IT AND WATCH FOR THE OTHER GUY!!!

Brucelee 12-09-2004 04:05 PM

As I said, a nice front wheel drive beater with snows for that Chicago climate.

Or, you could move out here to sunny San Diego!

Good luck

tqtran 12-09-2004 04:23 PM

Snow ties are a must for rear wheel drive.
I my self am storing my 986 for the winter (since I live in Indiana, snows quite a bit here) and I will be driving my 1988 Porsche 944 as my Winter Beater :) It has good 50/50 weight dist like the 986 and its cost around 5K so if I break it, I can just leave it :)

Brucelee 12-09-2004 06:19 PM

"It has good 50/50 weight dist like the 986 and its cost around 5K so if I break it, I can just leave it "

Good strategy. Drive a Porsche all year round and still feel good about winter!