Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #21

what is the difference between the 997 series 010 SSK that is mentioned a few posts above, vs the B&M or Schnell or other aftermarket kits?

I do NOT want it all stiff feeling.

I just want the throw shorter and I want the feel of the shifter to be more precise. right now the shifter is loose/sloppy feeling and the throw is too long.

any suggestions?

is this an easy DIY project? if I wuss out and paid a dealer or shop to do this, what is a FAIR (not stealership) price?

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
what is the difference between the 997 series 010 SSK that is mentioned a few posts above, vs the B&M or Schnell or other aftermarket kits?

I just want the throw shorter and I want the feel of the shifter to be more precise. right now the shifter is loose/sloppy feeling and the throw is too long.

any suggestions?

is this an easy DIY project? if I wuss out and paid a dealer or shop to do this, what is a FAIR (not stealership) price?
I can tell you now all the aftermarket SSK's are notchy and they increase shift effort. The install is not that hard if you have a few simple tools and you're fairly mechanical. I've never tried the 997 shifter, but it sounds like the way to go.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #23

Quote:

any suggestions?

Unlike all the SSK out there, the 9x7 shifter assembly is literally a drop-in item. I did it in little over an hour following the DIY instruction and I was trying to be overly cautious not to break/scratch anything.

http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=282
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #24

if my question is redundant, please accept my apology.
I'm considering upgrading the shifter unit of my 01 boxster mainly to replace the plastic fastener of the main shift cable with aluminum/steel unit (EVO or Schnell). at the same time change to a shorter throw.
in reading discussion threeads here and at other forums, it seems that most aftermarket units just extend the bottom part of the shifter rather than 997 short shifter which moves the pivot point higher while maintaining the shifter to linkage position inline with the cable. to me, it seems that the 997 short shifter is a better solution and prevents unwanted bending of the cable and possible drag on the tray and carpet under the shifter. (if in error forgive me, no real hands on, just reading and pictures)
if my assumption is correct then my question is "why the aftermarket mfgs do not duplicate the mechanical dimension of the 997 ss?" 25% versus 35% reduction?
thanks in advance
tad
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #25
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box
if my question is redundant, please accept my apology.
I'm considering upgrading the shifter unit of my 01 boxster mainly to replace the plastic fastener of the main shift cable with aluminum/steel unit (EVO or Schnell). at the same time change to a shorter throw.
in reading discussion threeads here and at other forums, it seems that most aftermarket units just extend the bottom part of the shifter rather than 997 short shifter which moves the pivot point higher while maintaining the shifter to linkage position inline with the cable. to me, it seems that the 997 short shifter is a better solution and prevents unwanted bending of the cable and possible drag on the tray and carpet under the shifter. (if in error forgive me, no real hands on, just reading and pictures)
if my assumption is correct then my question is "why the aftermarket mfgs do not duplicate the mechanical dimension of the 997 ss?" 25% versus 35% reduction?
thanks in advance
tad
All short shifters other than the "swift shift kit" from Evolution motorsports move the pivot point up. To the best that I can tell, the B&M, clones, and 9x6 factory short shifters all have the same geometry. The Schnell is a little shorter on the linkage side and probably doesn't move the fulcrum as far from stock as the others. None have problems with the pivot point getting too close to the floor.

From the pictures I've seen, the factory 9x7 short shifter also uses the same geometry as B&M, but uses a plastic housing rather than the aluminum 9x6 version.

Many of us have discovered that the standard shifter noted earlier provided on most 9x7 cars provides a nice, shorter shift without excessive notchiness and is the preferred alternative to the standard 9x6 shifter. This is not a short shift kit, it is standard on most of the newer models. This part also includes the shifter housing and the plastic cable ends, so you wouldn't need to buy the aluminum parts you talked about.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #26

blue2000s,
thanks much for the clarification.
looking down this thread, i see reference to 997 (010) but nowhere can i find the full part number for the standard 997 shifter assembly.
Elsewhere in the www, i found reference to a part number 997-424-983-00.
is this the part number for the standard 9x7 shifter that will reduce the throw by about 20+% over '01 986 boxster?

lastly, any thought about using EVO roller bearing end caps for the shifter piviot?

again, thanks much
tad
Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #27

all I want is a shorter throw shifter that is still smooth and feels good - instead of making it all stiff and notchy...

sounds like hte 987 shifter is the way to go. my car is a 2000. so i'm assuming it will make the throw shorter, but it will feel better?

on another note - the "slop" that develops in a shifter as a car ages..that wiggle that it gets... will changing to a short shift kit goign to remedy that...or is that somethign else that is worn which I can change or is it someting deep down inside the transmission that you can't fix?

making the throw shorter is one goal. it would nice to make the shifter feel less wiggly....
Old 09-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #28

if i were to go this 987 shifter route - can I just take it to the dealer - and tell them to do it?

what would i get charged for the part and labor?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #29
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box
blue2000s,
thanks much for the clarification.
looking down this thread, i see reference to 997 (010) but nowhere can i find the full part number for the standard 997 shifter assembly.
Elsewhere in the www, i found reference to a part number 997-424-983-00.
is this the part number for the standard 9x7 shifter that will reduce the throw by about 20+% over '01 986 boxster?

lastly, any thought about using EVO roller bearing end caps for the shifter piviot?

again, thanks much
tad
I'm on an iPod right now so searching is a pain for me but if you look up 997 shifter on renntech, John V gives out the part number. The throw reduction is more like about 10-15%

I don't have experience with the aluminum nuckle but those parts look like they'd work fine. Search on ebay, there are less expensive manufacturers.

Last edited by blue2000s; 09-17-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #30
Porscheectomy

Quote:
all I want is a shorter throw shifter that is still smooth and feels good - instead of making it all stiff and notchy...

sounds like hte 987 shifter is the way to go. my car is a 2000. so i'm assuming it will make the throw shorter, but it will feel better?

on another note - the "slop" that develops in a shifter as a car ages..that wiggle that it gets... will changing to a short shift kit goign to remedy that...or is that somethign else that is worn which I can change or is it someting deep down inside the transmission that you can't fix?

making the throw shorter is one goal. it would nice to make the shifter feel less wiggly....
Sloppiness can come from a number of different places. It's impossible to tell without looking at the car.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #31
Porscheectomy

Quote:
if i were to go this 987 shifter route - can I just take it to the dealer - and tell them to do it?

what would i get charged for the part and labor?

This is a very easy diy. There are instructions that take you through it. Don't waste the money on labor.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #32

Smile

thanks much for answering repetitive Q's. found the PN for 9x7 standard and the short shift kit, 997-424-010-00 and 997-424-983-00 respectively.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
All short shifters other than the "swift shift kit" from Evolution motorsports move the pivot point up. To the best that I can tell, the B&M, clones, and 9x6 factory short shifters all have the same geometry. The Schnell is a little shorter on the linkage side and probably doesn't move the fulcrum as far from stock as the others. None have problems with the pivot point getting too close to the floor.

From the pictures I've seen, the factory 9x7 short shifter also uses the same geometry as B&M, but uses a plastic housing rather than the aluminum 9x6 version.

Many of us have discovered that the standard shifter noted earlier provided on most 9x7 cars provides a nice, shorter shift without excessive notchiness and is the preferred alternative to the standard 9x6 shifter. This is not a short shift kit, it is standard on most of the newer models. This part also includes the shifter housing and the plastic cable ends, so you wouldn't need to buy the aluminum parts you talked about.
So, does that mean a 9x7 assembly with a 986 B&M SSK is actually the same throw as installing the B&M on the stock assy? i.e. Most of the benefit to the 9x7 is in the teal colored plastic part which is replaced with the B&M(?).

Under that assumption, to get an even shorter throw with the 9x7 the only option is the Evo extension? Does the Evo ShiftLink shorten up shifts, or just make them more precise?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #34

This thread has me thoroughly confused.

I've seen people talk about the 9x7 shifter assembly, and a 9x7 short throw shifter. are these the exact same item, only one has a shorter throw?

or is the 9x7 shifter the entire assembly, and the 9x7 short throw shifter is just the insides to make the throw shorter? meaning, you would have to buy BOTH to essentially get a 9x7 "short throw" OEM shifter? or are these the same thing, just one is a short throw and one is not?

if they are the same thing, one is a short throw, one is not (but both are shorter than a stock 986), is there any real downside to the stock OEM short throw? is it as stiff and notchy as the aftermarket SSK's?

i also noticed someone else post that on the 986 5 speed cars, the B&M shifter is NOT all that stiff and notchy, but it IS on the 6speeds. is this true?

for ME - I have a 2000 base 5 speed. would it be better to get a B&M or get the 9x7 OEM shifter OR the 9x7 short throw shifter?

I'd like the throws to be shorter. i'd like them to feel better. i don't want it to be notchy and stiff. i drove a 996 that had SOME kind of SSK in it, no idea which it was - and it was VERY difficult to shift into first gear when I stopped at light - it felt stiff and notchy. i liked the short throw, but the way it FELT was NOT good and I did not care for it. i'd suffer with a longer throw to avoid the overall "feel" this car had. i do NOT want this on my 986.

it sounds like a lot of people here are opting for the OEM part. so back to my question - is the 9x7 shifter the same thing as the 9x7 short throw shifter - only with a different throw length...or are these parts different things?

if this isntall is so easy - how long shoudl it take? I am not mechanic, but I am more than capable of basic auto repairs. I have done brakes/rotors/shocks/springs/exhausts. bolt on / bolt off I can do. is this a one hour job or a half day deal?

if the center console comes out, maybe that would be a good time to paint it????
Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #35
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown
So, does that mean a 9x7 assembly with a 986 B&M SSK is actually the same throw as installing the B&M on the stock assy? i.e. Most of the benefit to the 9x7 is in the teal colored plastic part which is replaced with the B&M(?).
Definitely yes, the base (big black plastic part) has the same pivot locations between the 9x6 and 9x7. The difference is always in the shifter itself.

The bases are a little different, the 9x7 has an additional screw-down point for something in the 9x7 console, but it doesn't interfere with anything on the 9x6.

Quote:
Under that assumption, to get an even shorter throw with the 9x7 the only option is the Evo extension? Does the Evo ShiftLink shorten up shifts, or just make them more precise?
Just to avoid confusion, I'll state again, there is a stock 9x7 shifter and a 9x7 short shifter, two different assemblies.

The 9x7 comes stock with only a slightly shorter shifter than the stock 9x6. It's about half way between the B&M and the stock 9x6. If you put a B&M in the 9x7, you will definitely get shorter shifts.

The EVO extension probably works with the 9x7 too, but you'd have to ask them, I don't know how long it is. By lengthening the lever arm at the bottom of the shifter, it shortens throws.

Last edited by blue2000s; 09-18-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Definitely yes, the base (big black plastic part) has the same pivot locations between the 9x6 and 9x7. The difference is always in the shifter itself.

The bases are a little different, the 9x7 has an additional screw-down point for something in the 9x7 console, but it doesn't interfere with anything on the 9x6.

Just to avoid confusion, I'll state again, there is a stock 9x7 shifter and a 9x7 short shifter, two different assemblies.

The 9x7 comes stock with only a slightly shorter shifter than the stock 9x6. It's about half way between the B&M and the stock 9x6. If you put a B&M in the 9x7, you will definitely get shorter shifts.

The EVO extension probably works with the 9x7 too, but you'd have to ask them, I don't know how long it is. By lengthening the lever arm at the bottom of the shifter, it shortens throws.
Right....So is a B&M in a 9x7 is essentialy the same as a B&M in a 986 assembly?

Worthwile options seem to be:

B&M / knockoff in stock 986 housing $50 - $200 (short but notchy)
987 assembly $160 (Smooth & slightly shorter than stock, easy to install)
987 SS assembly $??? (can't find prices)
987 assembly w/ Evo extension $360 (short & smooth)
Old 09-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #37
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Right....So is a B&M in a 9x7 is essentialy the same as a B&M in a 986 assembly?

Worthwile options seem to be:

B&M / knockoff in stock 986 housing $50 - $200 (short but notchy)
987 assembly $160 (Smooth & slightly shorter than stock, easy to install)
987 SS assembly $??? (can't find prices)
987 assembly w/ Evo extension $360 (short & smooth)
Evo swift kit is listed at $219.

And Schnell, which fits somewhere between B&M and 9x7 stock.

Last edited by blue2000s; 09-18-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #38

sounds like the best route for us 986 guys is to just do the standard 987 assembly.... and if you still arent happy, then do the evo thing later.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #39

I have an '01 Boxster and installed the 9x7 short shifter. It comes with the shifter housing and is not the same as the OEM short shifter originally sold for the 986/996. It is a blue plastic shifter and is not the same as the B&M. Very smooth shifting and the shift distance is reduced about 25% compared to what I started with. Details of my install with pictures are on renntech.

I don't think the stock 9x7 shifter installed in a 986 reduces the shift distance nearly as much

I tried a B&M on somebody's car once and didn't like it at all. Way too notchy. Given how many people have installed short shifters now, I suggest you try the various options you are considering on other people's cars if you're unsure before switching what you've got. I did not like the short shifter for the first week or so of driving, but quickly got used to the shorter shift throws. A short shifter will not help you shift any faster, it just reduces the shift throw distance.
Quote:
This thread has me thoroughly confused.

I've seen people talk about the 9x7 shifter assembly, and a 9x7 short throw shifter. are these the exact same item, only one has a shorter throw?

or is the 9x7 shifter the entire assembly, and the 9x7 short throw shifter is just the insides to make the throw shorter? meaning, you would have to buy BOTH to essentially get a 9x7 "short throw" OEM shifter? or are these the same thing, just one is a short throw and one is not?

if they are the same thing, one is a short throw, one is not (but both are shorter than a stock 986), is there any real downside to the stock OEM short throw? is it as stiff and notchy as the aftermarket SSK's?

i also noticed someone else post that on the 986 5 speed cars, the B&M shifter is NOT all that stiff and notchy, but it IS on the 6speeds. is this true?

for ME - I have a 2000 base 5 speed. would it be better to get a B&M or get the 9x7 OEM shifter OR the 9x7 short throw shifter?

I'd like the throws to be shorter. i'd like them to feel better. i don't want it to be notchy and stiff. i drove a 996 that had SOME kind of SSK in it, no idea which it was - and it was VERY difficult to shift into first gear when I stopped at light - it felt stiff and notchy. i liked the short throw, but the way it FELT was NOT good and I did not care for it. i'd suffer with a longer throw to avoid the overall "feel" this car had. i do NOT want this on my 986.

it sounds like a lot of people here are opting for the OEM part. so back to my question - is the 9x7 shifter the same thing as the 9x7 short throw shifter - only with a different throw length...or are these parts different things?

if this isntall is so easy - how long shoudl it take? I am not mechanic, but I am more than capable of basic auto repairs. I have done brakes/rotors/shocks/springs/exhausts. bolt on / bolt off I can do. is this a one hour job or a half day deal?

if the center console comes out, maybe that would be a good time to paint it????
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #40
Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT986S
I did just install the 997 (010 series) shifter over the weekend. All I can say is WOW. After all the short shift kits I tried in Miatadom I was leery of getting something "notchy", but this is amazing. By my measurement w/out the shiftknob the 1 - 2 shift on my S has gone down 1 inch. Doesn't sound like much, but feels amazing because shifting is much more precise, and there is no notchiness whatsoever.

Thanks Blink, sorry it took so long.
Kevin

Kevin, did you installed 997 shifter into your Boxster S? I didn't know that you can do that. Did you have to replace the entire shifter module? Thanks.
Dai

Dai is offline   Reply With Quote