Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #1

Short Shift Kit Advice?

Hi,
I hope this topic is not worn out, but I am looking for advice on a short shift kit. I have a '99 086 5-speed and want a more precise shift feel. I was looking at the Schnell kit, which can be had for a very reasonable price and includes a billet shift linkage to replace the OEM factory one. Any comparison to the B&M kit? I also see alot of "clones" out there. Not sure that is a good idea!

Thanks

box_canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:50 AM   #2

i recently installed the schnell.. the alum piece is not needed. its nice, and i thought that i really wanted it. after opening everything up. its really not necessary.

other than that, the schnell and everything else is probably really similar. its shorter by far, notchier, esp when cold. but pretty nice when warm.

the only thing i don't like.. the ball that goes into the left right selector, there should have been something else there, because as is, there is too much slop.
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #3

Thanks Benny. To clarify, does the assembled shifter have too much slop moving left-to-right?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #4

Lots of areas for slop

I thknk all the short shift kits use the ball alone rather than the ball and block like factory. I installed the blue generic and am delighted with it, very good quality, and again just the ball. I think at some point this might be a wear issue, but the fix would be fast and easy. It doesn;t add any more slop than factory because the factory ball and block have slop as well.

I've read a lot of comments about fanatical efforts to build close tolerance bushings etcetera to get things tight and once you look at the entire assembly you'll see there is so much room for slop it'll never be truly tight. Just the nature of the cable link is sloppy, then the connections to the cable, the connection from the shift lever to the cable receiver...on and on. Lots of places for slop. The bushings on the shifter I installed were sloppy but there is an adjustment to take up the slack and make it so tight you can't even shift, so no problem there. I wouldn't worry about the ball on the left-right roller block, or the bushings. Install the eighty buck shifter and be happy.

By the way I also did not rotate the handle 180 degrees and I love the thing leaning to the left. Much closer to the wheel and a more natural rotation of the right forearm for comfort. Leave it the way they built it.
Kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #5

Wink

I just had a short shift installed on my 2002 Boxster S along with a new clutch. The love affair is back, I love it.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #6

I recommend the stock shift console out of a 997. Easy, inexpensive, precise and short enough without the balky feel of the other shift kits on the market. It's buttah.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
eqs

+1 John V, the 997/987 short shifter is an excellent add-on that keeps your ride under warranty and gives it a shorter, firmer feel that I enjoy. In some regards, it feels I think something similar to my old Triumph.

Cheers and good luck with whatever you go for.
eqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #8

the slop isn't so bad as to make me want to modify it. its just bad enough to make me think how great my other SSKs for my other cars have been : )
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:34 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqs
+1 John V, the 997/987 short shifter is an excellent add-on that keeps your ride under warranty and gives it a shorter, firmer feel that I enjoy. In some regards, it feels I think something similar to my old Triumph.

Cheers and good luck with whatever you go for.
I don't think John's talking about the 997 short shift kit but is referring to the 997 standard shifter. The 997 short shift kit travel is the same or nearly the same as the 986/996 version but made slightly differently as far as I can tell.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:39 AM   #10
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevfra
I thknk all the short shift kits use the ball alone rather than the ball and block like factory. I installed the blue generic and am delighted with it, very good quality, and again just the ball. I think at some point this might be a wear issue, but the fix would be fast and easy. It doesn;t add any more slop than factory because the factory ball and block have slop as well.

I've read a lot of comments about fanatical efforts to build close tolerance bushings etcetera to get things tight and once you look at the entire assembly you'll see there is so much room for slop it'll never be truly tight. Just the nature of the cable link is sloppy, then the connections to the cable, the connection from the shift lever to the cable receiver...on and on. Lots of places for slop. The bushings on the shifter I installed were sloppy but there is an adjustment to take up the slack and make it so tight you can't even shift, so no problem there. I wouldn't worry about the ball on the left-right roller block, or the bushings. Install the eighty buck shifter and be happy.

By the way I also did not rotate the handle 180 degrees and I love the thing leaning to the left. Much closer to the wheel and a more natural rotation of the right forearm for comfort. Leave it the way they built it.

All the slop and play adds up. The more little bits of imprecision there are, the more loose and unpleasant the whole thing is so even though there is some play that you can't avoid doesn't mean you don't want to eliminate what you can.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #11

Thanks to all for the advice. John V and eqs: do you have a recommended source to find the 997 console? About how much would these cost?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_canyon
Thanks to all for the advice. John V and eqs: do you have a recommended source to find the 997 console? About how much would these cost?

Thanks
It's like $147 from Sunset Imports.

www.****************************************************.com
Old 05-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #13

DO IT!

Mine is a '02 Boxster S with Schnell SSK.
HB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:53 AM   #14

i installed the maxspeed short shift kit. and LOVE it. probably one of the best things you can do to your boxster. whatever brand you decide to choose, make sure you get it done. trust me you won't be disappointed
maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
alpine headunit in custom center console
red/clear LED tail lights
mchi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #15

I installed the factory kit and, to be honest, I was quite disappointed at the difference. I expected a lot more (although I admit I was always spoiled by the shift action in my Miata and you can't expect that from the Boxster linkage.)

BUT - when I later drove a friend's 99 Boxster, the difference was much more apparent. The short shift kit may not be that much shorter but it is much less rubbery. When you use the short kit hard, it almost feels (and sounds) like a bolt-action. But I still think they should have taken another inch or so out of the travel.
marbique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #16

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I think I am going to try the 997 console from Sunset imports. I'll post when I get it installed. :dance:
Old 06-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #17

I did just install the 997 (010 series) shifter over the weekend. All I can say is WOW. After all the short shift kits I tried in Miatadom I was leery of getting something "notchy", but this is amazing. By my measurement w/out the shiftknob the 1 - 2 shift on my S has gone down 1 inch. Doesn't sound like much, but feels amazing because shifting is much more precise, and there is no notchiness whatsoever.

Thanks Blink, sorry it took so long.
Kevin

PS. I did much research on the install, and getting the shiftknob off is the hard part. I went right for the brute force and ignorance method - top-down stand with one foot on each side of the console and pull straight up. If it doesn't come off -pull harder .
It came off on the second try for me with this method.
CT986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #18

i have the schnell ssk and its notchy and difficult to shift

but

much shorter throw
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #19

so is this a part I get at the dealer b/c it's an OEM porsche part? or is this an aftermarket part? I'm confused....

I drove a 911 that had a short shift kit and it felt hard and notchy to shift. i hated it. yeah the throws were short but it felt like $hit.

i want stock feel for smoothness, just a short throw. whatever you are refering to here sounds like what i want.

where do i get it?
can i install this myself - is it relatively easy or do i need a dealer/mechanic to put it in?

this is just the shift parts of ra stock 997?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT986S
I did just install the 997 (010 series) shifter over the weekend. All I can say is WOW. After all the short shift kits I tried in Miatadom I was leery of getting something "notchy", but this is amazing. By my measurement w/out the shiftknob the 1 - 2 shift on my S has gone down 1 inch. Doesn't sound like much, but feels amazing because shifting is much more precise, and there is no notchiness whatsoever.

Thanks Blink, sorry it took so long.
Kevin

PS. I did much research on the install, and getting the shiftknob off is the hard part. I went right for the brute force and ignorance method - top-down stand with one foot on each side of the console and pull straight up. If it doesn't come off -pull harder .
It came off on the second try for me with this method.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #20

I've got a brand new B&M Short Shift Kit available for sale if you, or anyone else is interested... PM me!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote