986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Shift knob stuck (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14501)

blinkwatt 12-04-2007 07:54 PM

Shift knob stuck

I'm trying to install my short shift kit and I can't get the darn shift knob removed. It doesn't have the bolt like some shift knobs do. Any ideas? I'm about to that point where I'm going to drop the top,put the car in neutral,stand on the interior one foot in each side of the footwell and yank upwards with all my might.

blue2000s 12-04-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I'm going to drop the top,put the car in neutral,stand on the interior one foot in each side of the footwell and yank upwards with all my might.

That's the procedure.

Kirk 12-05-2007 09:26 AM

Twist it back and forth a bit while you pull up with all your might. If that still doesn't work, then you need more might because "all your might" just isn't enough. Get a gym membership, start lifting weights, eat more protein, and then try again in about three months. :p

idheaton 12-05-2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk
Twist it back and forth a bit while you pull up with all your might. If that still doesn't work, then you need more might because "all your might" just isn't enough. Get a gym membership, start lifting weights, eat more protein, and then try again in about three months. :p

LOL... good one Kirk... :D

NickCats 12-06-2007 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk

Now that's funny ! I was thinking the same thing due to the fact Blink lost 15 lbs on his new diet :D

But seriously, did you get it installed ?

Nick

blinkwatt 12-06-2007 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickCats
Now that's funny ! I was thinking the same thing due to the fact Blink lost 15 lbs on his new diet :D

But seriously, did you get it installed ?

Nick

I finally got the damn thing off last night. Took 20 minutes of yanking.

I was too tired to finish the install,I will finish tonight.

steve00s 12-06-2007 09:13 AM

I applaud your perseverance. It will all be worth it in the end.

djomlas 12-06-2007 09:33 AM

glad it worked out man, u will love it

efahl 12-08-2007 11:56 AM

Just for reference: clamp the shaft with some vise grips about a half inch below the knob, and use a pickle fork to pop the knob off.