Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #21

Change the water pump (every 3 years if possible). The impellers in the porsche design are known (99% probability) to break or erode. That's what I've learn on 986forum anyway. Results are very low water circulation and overheating.

Keep on the look-up for impeller debris in the thermostat area. And no, i am not joking. Ask porsche if you don't believe me... heard they gave away many FREE water pumps to nasty and pissed customers

I am surprised to see that even a 7 years old thread can still be indexed. Well spotted mate

madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #22

You may have air in the system. does the heater blow hot air? open the bleeder valve. after the car cools, see if the level goes down. if not, pump is out. pull it and see.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #23

What is the normal temp

I just have a 98 Boxter 94,000 miles , I want to know the normal temperature for the engine. The gauge say 3 quarter 190F it is normal ? I live in Houston TX the outside temp here is now 103F. I dont have the owner manual..please Help !
Thanks
rheredia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #24

The coolant light will also flash if your intake fan malfunctions.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #25

I have a '07 that the gauge would "stick" on the far left and the light would blink when the car was driven a few blocks. As soon as the needle moved the blinking would stop. The scenerio eventually turned into the warning lignt telling me to take the car to the shop. So, I called the dealership. My car is a CPO car and Porsche picked the car up, and sent it back to me the same day telling me it was a little low on coolant. I thought the problem was fixed...Wrong. The car started doing the same thinf a day or two later. Porsche came again. This time they checked the thermostat and some temp sensors and replaced one of the sensors. (sorry, I dont have the service tag in front of me). Been driving the car for a week and no warning lights at this time.
I'm happy I bought a CPO Car!!!
curtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheredia
I just have a 98 Boxter 94,000 miles , I want to know the normal temperature for the engine. The gauge say 3 quarter 190F it is normal ? I live in Houston TX the outside temp here is now 103F. I dont have the owner manual..please Help !
Thanks

normal is relative. if it's hot outside, the engine will run a little hotter.

normally mine sits on the left side of the "8" in "180" however yesterday being so hot (middle of nowhere kansas) and driving down the highway at *ahem* slightly over the speed limit, it stuck straight up and down.