Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #1

2003 No Brake lights / Brake light will not go out

I need help, I did a search and tried all fixes but to no avail.

I had no brake lights, fuse was good (but I have replaced just to be sure). replaced switch at the brake pedal and now the brake lights will not go out. I have adjusted the switch for different ranges of motion in the pedal and still always on. deinstalled switch from mount so i can manually depress the plunger fully with my finger, lights will still not go out.

Any suggestions?

yancy0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
1999 base

Garage
what happens if you disconnect the switch?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #3

Brake lights go out.

Also I have reinstalled old switch (which I have throughly cleaned the contacts with alcohol) and no brake lights.
So I reinstalled the new switch and brake lights will not turn off regardless if the plunger is depressed or not.

Last edited by yancy0303; 04-11-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
1999 base

Garage
That is strange...
Looks like the new switch is broken as well or you plugged the connector the wrong way. (Not sure if that is possible)
The switch has two circuits, one is normally closed and the other is normally open.
You will be to check the functionality of the switch by using a volt meter.
Let me know if you need and I will try to post some pics of the process.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #5

I was thinking a bad switch too, sucks because I had to order the switch.

And you can only plug in the switch one way.

I'll check it with a volt meter.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #6

OK, hooked my multimeter up and set to Ohms. Hooked one lead to the 4 post and got the same reading with the other lead hooked to the 1, 2, 3 posts alternately. Without plunger depressed I get OL, with the plunger depressed I get 0.00.

So I hooked up the old switch and one lead to the 4 post and with the other lead to the 1and 3 post I get OL without plunger being depressed and 0.00 with the plunger depressed; however with the leads hooked to the 4 and 2 post there is no change in the ohms whether the plunger is depressed or not.

Last edited by yancy0303; 04-11-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #7

I am having opposite problem. no brake lights at all. I took out switch and cleaned it to no avail. ordered new switch today. shouldn"t my brake lights stay on as well?
fuse covers cruise cxontrol as well & that works. any ideas?
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
Ex Esso kid

FYI on brake switches, they come apart and actually have an adjustable plunger arm. If the brake lights are not working, plunger is not being pressed in far enough to actuate switch meaning the plunger arm needs lengthening. If the lights won't go off, plunger is always actuating the switch even with pedal in neutral position, plunger needs to be shortened. As with all Porsche polymers the switch parts are delicate and brittle, patience is priceless. Had to screw with mine every couple years but never had to replace it.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
FYI on brake switches, they come apart and actually have an adjustable plunger arm. If the brake lights are not working, plunger is not being pressed in far enough to actuate switch meaning the plunger arm needs lengthening. If the lights won't go off, plunger is always actuating the switch even with pedal in neutral position, plunger needs to be shortened. As with all Porsche polymers the switch parts are delicate and brittle, patience is priceless. Had to screw with mine every couple years but never had to replace it.
Yes I have adjusted throughout the range to make sure the plunger is fully depressing and fully extending when installed, no go. Also when the switch is not installed against the pedal (just dangling under the dash) and I depress the plunger manually with my finger the brake lights remain on.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #10

OK, I got it fixed. the new switch was bad. I took the new and old switches apart and used the new bottom with the old top (plunger piece) and brake light would go out.
So I put the new plunger part together with the old bottom part and my "frankenstein" switch worked!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #11

Angry

just got my new switch and now brake lights stay on! may try frankenstein approach after adjustments ugh
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #12

adjusted plunger & back in business. thanks for all the help!