Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #1

got my ecu tuned by powerchip

Everything went smoothly and I received my ECU today. Trav, (silvered), was extremely helpful and great to work w/ and even gave me $400 off ($600)

So I plugged everything back in, burnt myself FOR THE SECOND TIME on that burning hot fluorescent lamp that's behind the carpeting, and turned on the engine.

Immediately, the engine sounded a VERY TINY bit deeper than it did before. Not something you would notice unless you drive the car every day.

They told me about 50 miles would be enough for the ECU to adapt and that it would take shorter depending on how I drive. I beat the crap out of her today...

I drove everywhere I could for any reason I could. Red-line 1st, red-line 2nd, I even red-lined THIRD once!!! (5 speed)

However, my problem is that I can not tell if there are any gains or not. It sometimes feels a bit faster, but I do not want to fool myself into thinking there is an improvement when there isn't.

Does it feel different? Even that I can't tell. It seems like it does...maybe a tiny bit faster. I'm not sure. Maybe there's someone in the area w/ a 987 5 speed who would be willing to drive my car and see if there is any difference.

One thing that concerns me:

At times, it almost felt as if certain points in the powerband gained and lost power. They assured me there would be ZERO losses at any part of the powerband, but who knows?

Anyways, I just wanted to report for those who were interested. I have 2 weeks to try it and I can return if I don't like it.

If anyone in the area (50 mile radius?) wants to give it a shot and see if there's a difference, I'll drive over to you.

Thanks for letting me blab

Old 03-14-2007, 09:44 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
So I plugged everything back in, burnt myself FOR THE SECOND TIME on that burning hot fluorescent lamp that's behind the carpeting,
Ha! Funny you mention that. I actually scard my arm pretty bad on the tiny lamp in the rear trunk behind the carpet.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 03-14-2007 at 10:06 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:21 AM   #3

Trav tried to warn me about that, but I didn't know he was talking about so I ignored him.

I have new reports...

- I do feel a bit more torque, especially in high gear

- The exhaust note does sound a bit different

- I notice that I don't always have to downshift to speed up from low RPM. It is not a huge difference but it is a difference.

- I AM GETTING INCREASE MPG. This was apparent immediately. I was driving like an ass to get the ECU to adapt and I was still getting better over-all MPG than before.

I am going to change my oil for the first time since I bought the car...and see if that helps.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #4

Thanks for posting info!! Keep us posted!!!

To probably get the most out of the install, maybe getting a dyno done on your car may help you see more of what you do or don't feel....although, you don't have the pre-ECU upgrade info for the car.... it may still give you more information if you compare it to the information that is out there for your model.

...btw, for a leased car, are you allowed to do that?? I am not certain about this. I have always owned my cars and could not give you definitive information on this. Maybe one of the other guys could chime in.

Last edited by dcporsche99; 03-15-2007 at 09:08 AM.
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #5

As long as I return it back to stock, which I understand will happen.

I am still very uncertain about this product.

In first gear, my car used to pull insanely...and now...it feels like it is losing power around mid-range as opposed to gaining it like it should be.

It is weird. There are definitely some improvements but it feels to me like there are some losses. I can't fully tell, though, w/out a comparison.

Maybe if I used it in conjunction w/ a mod such as an exhaust or intake?

Well, I still have a little while to decide.

I will record the exhaust for you guys and see if you can detect a difference.

Last edited by Bavarian Motorist; 03-15-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
boggtown

I always unplugged the light, easy and I didnt have to worry about it.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #7

If my oil is less than half full, I should add oil?

What type of oil do I need for my car? My dealership said they charge $300 for an oil change (LOL) but also that my car burns 1/2 qt - 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles (WTF? LOL)

Is adding oil as simple as opening that little thing in the boot and pouring some oil in?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #8

Yup just open up the rear and pour in. On a 987 each mark on the oil level indicator corresponds to about 1/3 of a quart.

I usually add 1/4 of a quart if it is down by one mark wait 5 minutes and then measure. After that I add very small amounts.

My car burns almost exactly one quart per 3,500 miles.
2008 Carrera S Cabriolet, Meteor Grey Metallic, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, Heated Front Seats, Navigation, Floor Mats – I know the Porsche ones suck but they came with the car, Park Assist, Power Seats, Self Dimming Mirrors, 19 inch Sport Design Wheels – Classic Car and Classic Wheels, Bose, Sports Chrono Plus. Mods so Far: XPEL Clear Bra, Smart Top, Dension iPod Integration, Clear Side Markers

2001 MB CLK320 with a collection of performance mods.
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
Ex Esso kid

My car doesn't burn anywhere near that, I use 0-40 Mobil one.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:54 PM   #10

Why are our cars burning that much oil? It burns almost as much as a two stroker engine.

Btw... what oil do we need to use for our cars? I have a feeling my dealership will charge way more than what its worth.

OK GUYS! NEWEST REPORT ON THE ECU UPGRADE!

After much careful consideration, testing and driving (at least 400 miles) I have made what I hope is to be my final conclusion.

The car is faster. You definitely feel a lot more torque, especially in 3rd gear where the car used to die off a little.

The exhaust sounds different. A little bit deeper.

The throttle response has improved by a lot.

There isn't a flat spot at around 2k RPM like there used to be. It's not so lively, but it's not flat.

Over-all, after almost returning the thing, I am very pleased. Perhaps it just needed a few hundred miles to get worked in. Whatever the case, it works now and I am still getting used to the new power.

How powerful? It isn't a HUGE boost, but it is substantial enough where you will definitely feel it and then some.

Do I recommend this product?

YES. 100% so far. Call Trav and tell him about the 986forum offer he made ... $600. He will honor it like he honored mine

Btw, the shipping is simple. All you do is print out the shipping label they e-mail you, bring it to fedex kinko's center, wrap it in bubble wrap (costs $2.50) and they mail it out for you. Powerchip pays for the shipping for you from your credit card to save you the hassle.

I don't want to piss off any sponsors or anything, but I just felt there was an interest in the product here that needed to be satisfied.

If anyone has any questions, I'll answer the best I can.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #11

Hi,

Sorry, don't want to sound like a Kill-Joy, but I gotta call BS.

Less than 24Hrs. ago you were extremely hesitant with each gain you reported. Now, all of a sudden these gains (Butt-Dyno only) are Definite?

You say the car is faster? How are you measuring this? How much faster? 0-60? Top Speed?

You say there is more torque? Again, how are you measuring this?

Reported gains in MPG? How much and again, how are you measuring it, the gauge or by measuring the amount of a refill? Perhaps you're not idling as much in the past 24 Hrs. or changed your routes (Freeway vs City driving)?

In less than 24 Hrs. you put 400+ miles on the car? That's more than 6Hrs.40min. driving @ 60MPH - where'd you go? To Boston... and Back? That would be slightly less than 400 miles.

I don't mean to pick on you, but the Placebo Effect is a tremendous thing. It can make people think and feel things which just aren't there.

You're comparing the qualities of the car to a MEMORY of what your car used to be - not very accurate.

Did you record Baseline Data before installing this chip? Were you careful to drive in the exact same manner using the same routes and speeds?

If not, none of your reported gains can be verified, they're just unqualified impressions and that's waay too little for people to run off and spend $600.

I suspect that you're pushing the car harder since the chip install and it's this shift in driving style which is accounting for most of the reported gains.

The Stock DME does a pretty good job of optimizing the performance of the car with stock intake and exhaust. Re-chipping may alter the power/torque curves, but I doubt it added anything significant, if anything at all.

I think reports like this can be valuable to the knowledge base here, but only if the comparisons are real and conducted in some sort of controlled manner.

Good Luck with the chip, I hope that it's really all you report it to be, but based on what I'm hearing so far, I remain somewhat skeptical...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
boggtown

Ya, there either a difference or theres not. When I cold aired my BMW I could definately tell my lost power above 5 grand was there. I was hitting the rev limiter by accident because I wasnt used to it having power there. Id return it, get your money back, and put it torwards something else.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
bmussatti

BM, I agree with MNBoxster and Boggtown. Sorry, dude.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #14
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Less than 24Hrs. ago you were extremely hesitant with each gain you reported. Now, all of a sudden these gains (Butt-Dyno only) are Definite?

You say the car is faster? How are you measuring this? How much faster? 0-60? Top Speed?

Reported gains in MPG? How much and again, how are you measuring it, the gauge or by measuring the amount of a refill? Perhaps you're not idling as much in the past 24 Hrs. or changed your routes (Freeway vs City driving)?

In less than 24 Hrs. you put 400+ miles on the car? That's more than 6Hrs.40min. driving @ 60MPH - where'd you go? To Boston... and Back? That would be slightly less than 400 miles.

I don't mean to pick on you, but the Placebo Effect is a tremendous thing. It can make people think and feel things which just aren't there.

You're comparing the qualities of the car to a MEMORY of what your car used to be - not very accurate.

Did you record Baseline Data before installing this chip? Were you careful to drive in the exact same manner using the same routes and speeds?

If not, none of your reported gains can be verified, they're just unqualified impressions and that's waay too little for people to run off and spend $600.

I suspect that you're pushing the car harder since the chip install and it's this shift in driving style which is accounting for most of the reported gains.

The Stock DME does a pretty good job of optimizing the performance of the car with stock intake and exhaust. Re-chipping may alter the power/torque curves, but I doubt it added anything significant, if anything at all.

I think reports like this can be valuable to the knowledge base here, but only if the comparisons are real and conducted in some sort of controlled manner.

Good Luck with the chip, I hope that it's really all you report it to be, but based on what I'm hearing so far, I remain somewhat skeptical...

True thats what i was thinking +1
Old 03-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Feels much faster than it did. I am pulled back to my seat now whereas before I was used to flooring it to redline in first and it almost seemed normal to me.

Quote:
My average MPG from driving the car ALL 7k miles (before the ecu got back) was 20.1. Very low because I drive like an ass hole, but it hits the 20s because most all my miles are highway miles. I am always beating my car on the road. Of course, when I got the ECU, as I already explained, I drove it like even MORE of an ass hole to get the ECU to adapt, and still, the MPG was raising...After 400 miles and tremendous amounts of extra ass hole-ish driving, it reached 20.9 and has been steadily raising.

Quote:

When I got it, I drove to my friend's house in Long Island...40 miles. Drove around town a lot... 15miles. Drove back home...40miles. Drove to school in Albany...150miles. Drove back home today...150miles. Drove back to Long Island...40 miles. Drove to autozone to find oil (they told me they had no info on my car...)... 15 miles.

That's roughly 410 miles. Approximated, of course.

Quote:
Yes I completely understand and knew this before hand, which is why I was so skeptical at first. If it was a placebo effect, don't you think I would have jumped out of the gate screaming about how great it was?

Quote:

Unfortunately, yes. But I will defend myself by saying I have put 7400 miles on my car since mid-november. I really know my car well, at least in terms of how it drives. I trust my claims to some extent based on that.

Quote:
Negatory. I figured that if the gains were worth it, I would notice it. I apologize.

Quote:
What have you got to lose? Shipping can be done for free..but takes 4 days each way.

Quote:
Aha, I must disagree here. I ALWAYS drive my car very hard. I can't even describe to you how hard I drive. People can not drive w/ me because I nauseate them.

Quote:

I thought the same myself. How can you squeeze any more power out of this car? Porsche has already done a good job. That is why I was so hesitant to buy any mods. You of all people know about me and my mod craze. I didn't want to commit money to anything w/out a guarantee. I certainly expected the worst.

My car, though...is definitely different now in a good way.

Quote:

I hope so too. The best I can offer is to perhaps let someone in my area drive my car and see if THEY notice a difference. Yes, there are variables involved there as well, but eliminating all variables is virtually impossible.

I'll buy a stop watch tomorrow and time a 5-60... 5-60 to eliminate extra variables caused by launching techniques and such.

Well, like I said, I know my reports have varied so much, that's why I left the idea open that I may have a new report tomorrow.

For all I know, it was the temperature change that caused the different feel. I mean, when I last had the car, the temperatures were in the mid 40s...when I got it back Wednesday, it was 65 that day. Now today, Thursday, it is in the low 40s...

Could explain why I wasn't so impressed w/ the car when I got it back. What do you guys think?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #16

The harsh reality is you very well may have thrown $600 down the poop shute. Without before and after dynos we will never know. Jim is absolutely right. The placebo effect is a ******************** and it's the performance aftermarket's best friend.

Last edited by Adam; 03-15-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
The harsh reality is you very well may have thrown $600 down the poop shute. Without before and after dynos we will never know. Jim is absolutely right. The placebo effect is a ******************** and it's the performance aftermarket's best friend.

Read my response to Jim :P

Placebo effect is/was never an issue.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:48 PM   #18

Congrats Bav, glad you're happy with it. Butt-dyno issues aside, the fuel economy increase is impressive. The figures would be more questionable if the math wasn't so dramatic, but your 20.1 median over 7K and my own observations regarding differences in 987 fuel economy under different conditions (or lack thereof) would certainly indicate that you're seeing a marked improvement there.

Bottom-line, people believe what they want to believe. I do find it a bit amusing that a few days ago we had board members ripping their snorkles out with abandon over a reported 1.9% hp gain from removal of a tube but others are singing the skeptic serenade over the remapping of the DME by professional tuners.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Congrats Bav, glad you're happy with it. Butt-dyno issues aside, the fuel economy increase is impressive. The figures would be more questionable if the math wasn't so dramatic, but your 20.1 median over 7K and my own observations regarding differences in 987 fuel economy under different conditions (or lack thereof) would certainly indicate that you're seeing a marked improvement there.

Bottom-line, people believe what they want to believe. I do find it a bit amusing that a few days ago we had board members ripping their snorkles out with abandon over a reported 1.9% hp gain from removal of a tube but others are singing the skeptic serenade over the remapping of the DME by professional tuners.
Hi,

Say what you will (and you will), but the majority of people doing a remap have stated that it's effects are minimal without intake/exhaust mods as well - just peruse the archives.

Again, impressions mean nothing and I'm doubting even the MPG improvements. More Power and more Torque, combined with increased MPG, all the while beating the Snot out of it? - it's all too good to be true...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:55 AM   #20

It's day 3/12 (12 because I want to allow a day to send it back if necessary) now, Jim. I will be reporting every day to see if I can get you guys the most info I can.

I have heard all of the things you say so many times. That a tune by itself will not yield much benefit..that you need to remove air restrictions...that my type of engine can't be improved that much.

That's why I am so surprised myself!

Well, I asked them what exactly they DO. They told me, and I'm not sure if this is what all ecu tuners do, but bear w/ me... that the majority of what they do is just making sure the fuel injection and spark plug ignition take place as close together in time as possible...might improve MPG? Certainly is more fuel efficient.

Do you think the dramatic temperature change made a substantial difference? Like I said, the majority of the time I've had my car it's been in the 30s and 40s...and then the day I get the ECU back, it's 65 and I am not impressed w/ the results. The very next day, it's 40 out and I am suddenly impressed.

Let it be known that I want this to be real. I don't just want to think it's real or pretend it's real. So let's hope