986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   virus prediction (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78432)

nicecar 08-08-2020 11:59 AM

virus prediction

I remember a post several weeks/months ago where itsnotanova said he wanted the virus to get it over with because everyone is going to get it regardless. Apple news posted today virus is here to stay. Smallpox is only virus to be eradicated and it took 15 yrs. I think his prediction is correct. My question is are mask mandates here to stay? Kind of like buckle up, but motorcycle helmets optional?

flmont 08-08-2020 12:37 PM

Well as long as there is fear,There's a good chance of that,Or when people get FED up with being told what to do then they may decide to make their own decision's on how to protect themselves.This being TOLD routine has to go..!

BRAN 08-08-2020 01:49 PM

During the summer time, I have been in the Netherlands, Austria and Czech Republic...
and I am shocked, how face masks are being neglected there nowadays. I can say, that we are way more strict here in Germany and it seems to be in our blood that we follow orders, I guess.
The primary objective is to protect OTHERS first, and then yourself. I wonder why people don't get that...just too selfish?
No vaccination = mask enforcement
just sayin'...

paulofto 08-08-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flmont (Post 622121)
Well as long as there is fear,There's a good chance of that,Or when people get FED up with being told what to do then they may decide to make their own decision's on how to protect themselves.This being TOLD routine has to go..!

Some people have to be told because, quite frankly, they are too stupid to make the right decision. Common sense it seems is not so common. Freedom is the right to choose but making an obviously wrong choice, even after being told by experts that you are making a mistake, is a sign of ignorance and obstinance and infringes everyone’s freedom.

azlvr 08-08-2020 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicecar (Post 622119)
I remember a post several weeks/months ago where itsnotanova said he wanted the virus to get it over with because everyone is going to get it regardless. Apple news posted today virus is here to stay. Smallpox is only virus to be eradicated and it took 15 yrs. I think his prediction is correct. My question is are mask mandates here to stay? Kind of like buckle up, but motorcycle helmets optional?

It all depends on how good the vaccine is and how long it lasts.

DoninDel 08-08-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulofto (Post 622125)
Some people have to be told because, quite frankly, they are too stupid to make the right decision. Common sense it seems is not so common. Freedom is the right to choose but making an obviously wrong choice, even after being told by experts that you are making a mistake, is a sign of ignorance and obstinance and infringes everyone’s freedom.

Agree. I think the 'freedom' argument is stupid. Civilization is giving up some individual freedom for the common good.
You do not have the 'freedom' to race thru a stop sign - well, actually you do, and you can be fined if caught, and the same should be true of not wearing a mask.
I love the goobers who argue that the odds are low that you'll die from the virus - the odds are in your favor playing Russian Roulette, too, but I don't see the point of taking the risk.
I damn near died 3 times from one-cell organisms ( amebic dysentery and blood poisoning in Vietnam, and more recently sepsis from a biopsy) and do not see the point of taking a risk.

itsnotanova 08-09-2020 04:12 AM

I personally think mask just delay the inevitable. That being said, I also don't believe it's my right to give the virus to someone else unwillingly. Mask are here to stay until the virus has worked it's way through society. My prediction is there will be a cure for covid, but it will be too little and too late. Until then, buckle up because it will be a bumpy ride for the most obese country in the world.

piper6909 08-09-2020 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flmont (Post 622121)

The mask is NOT to protect YOU, it's to protect PEOPLE AROUND YOU from your spittle and vapors when you speak. So it's like smoking in a public space. You can't do it, but you can smoke in the privacy of your own home as much as you want.

So you still have the right to be as stupid and self-destructing as you want. But you don't have the right to endanger others.

Now seat belts? If you had a similar beef with seat belt laws I'd understand your gripe. As long as you made sure that kids, who have no understanding of the risks, are buckled up properly.

piper6909 08-09-2020 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicecar (Post 622119)

IIRC, itsnotanova wrote, "...I want to beat something that kills others..."

I think mask mandates will be gone once a good vaccine is discovered and implemented.

itsnotanova 08-09-2020 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 622152)
IIRC, itsnotanova wrote, "...I want to beat something that kills others..."

What can I say, I have a slight death wish. The older I get the less scared I get of dying

Starter986 08-09-2020 05:25 AM

OP... topic better suited for off-topic forum.

On another note... wife and I took a drive to Big Bear Lake yesterday. Beautiful.

Walked the Village... went lakeside... and, GASP... no mask.

What's it going to be, fellas? A mask or the 6 feet? I choose the 6 feet (and did when we popped into Wal-Mart on the way home). If the fraidy cats are so concerned about the virus... flu... whatever... maybe just stay home. Use instacart.

Vacinnation? LOL. You're going to wait for that? I won't be the subject of any vaccination... and I won't be compelled.

Doesn't anyone find it interesting that the "news" hasn't covered jack-**************** about the usual and customary flu(s)? Or... is that a fall-winter story? And.. I mean "story".

Bring it on. :cool:

On another note... itsnotanova... I hear ya.

Cunningr 08-09-2020 06:23 AM

I have heard some very smart responses here, and frankly some that are just ignorant.

If you want to catch the virus go for it, but as mentioned wearing the mask is to protect the people around you! The comment maintain 6 feet in public thats not always possible to maintain distances WEAR A MASK you dont know who is around you that have higher risk factors diabetes heart conditions ect.... these people have a right to buy food and shop without having the added worry you mask less a-holes are to selfish to wear a face covering to help protect the public spread of COVID19.

I am in Spain and we have had last timeI checked around a 11 percent. Mortality rate. The mask help contain the spread period!

Be safe and protect your fellow human being!

Starter986 08-09-2020 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cunningr (Post 622164)
I have heard some very smart responses here, and frankly some that are just ignorant.

If you want to catch the virus go for it, but as mentioned wearing the mask is to protect the people around you! The comment maintain 6 feet in public thats not always possible to maintain distances WEAR A MASK you dont know who is around you that have higher risk factors diabetes heart conditions ect.... these people have a right to buy food and shop without having the added worry you mask less a-holes are to selfish to wear a face covering to help protect the public spread of COVID19.

I am in Spain and we have had last timeI checked around a 11 percent. Mortality rate. The mask help contain the spread period!

Be safe and protect your fellow human being!

Virus have been on the earth 3.2 billion years humans 200,000 years. The truth is we will have to live with it like every other virus that has come along the last 200,000 years.

How does any species build up their immune system and keep it working efficiently? Answer: exposing themselves to active threats and practicing personal care controls based on their experience with their own bodies. We are born with minimal immunity to things and as kids we expose ourselves to all sorts of things, which in turn strengthens our immune system to threats. We are social creatures for more than just one reason, were supposed to essentially contaminate each other so we can collectively gain a sort of social immunity to threats. It's nature and man should not get involved in how it works.

You got a pre-existing condition? Don't be a dumb a ss. Stay home. Have meemaw go do your shopping.

You're calling me an a sshole? F uck you, too. Oh, have a nice day.

TRP 08-09-2020 06:49 AM

Jesus Christ... What did I just read? Is this really an "it's my right" discussion? We have a WORLD WIDE PANDEMIC, and people want to ******************** and moan about wearing a god damned facemask? I'm embarrassed at how the US is handling the entire situation. I'm just dumbfounded by people who want to argue about the situation. Mind boggling. Folks want to argue about their 'rights' vs overloading the hospitals and medical community?

The older I get the more I realize why the world is tired of the US and all of our selfishness.

We will get what we deserve and deal with the consequences of those whose rights were infringed upon.

Sometimes we have to band together for the betterment of the entire community. For **************** sake.

You aren't being asked to pay your neighbors bills... Or feed his family. Do you throw your trash in the street? Do you still crap and pee in the yard? No. You use modern technology, central services, and a slight change in behaviour so that we reduce the spread of disease. Is wearing a mask when you go get McDonald's is really an inconvenience? People who argue that it's against their rights to be asked to wear a mask don't value the sacrifice given by others. The selfish and indignant nature of it all.

Starter986 08-09-2020 06:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
LOL. Yeah. Attachment 22574

Attachment 22575

maytag 08-09-2020 07:12 AM

Cunningr, you have an ELEVEN PERCENT MORTALITY RATE IN SPAIN!??

This is a FANTASTIC argument against the socialized Healthcare system that a segment of Americans think is such a great idea.

It's interesting that all of the "western" countries with universal health care have CFR's in double digits, but here's the demonized U.S. at 3.2. (By the way, this followed my own experiences with European Healthcare to a T)

Are masks the new norm? I dunno. I hope not. I hate wearing a mask and would rather stay home.... and frequently do. I DO wonder why masks haven't been mandated before now for things like H1N1, SARS, or even the common seasonal flu? Those all kill people too. TB has Much higher transmission rate than covid, and killed 1.5 MILLION people last year..... but no mask mandate. Sure; I get that the number in the U.S. is much lower than that (under 1k, as i recall) but globally we weren't hearing for masks on everyone.

I think the current "mask trend" is about SJW's. All of the people who are angry at those who don't wear masks and can them names and try to shame them: you're as much the problem in the world today as are those who aren't wearing masks because they resist being told what to do / wear / say.

Each of us will decide, just as we do with everything else in life, what our risk tolerance is. If where I draw that line is different from where YOU draw that line, do you really think it's helpful to call me names or tell me I don't care about others? You see you're buying right into the divisiveness that fractures the world right now. For every issue, we are forced to take a side, and a stand. Pitting neighbors against each other, dividing nations, neighborhoods and families.

How about instead; love your neighbor. Care fur each other. Make an effort to understand them, where they come from, why they feel the way they do? What life experience has led them to see things differently from you?

Personally I think that's what masks are about: yet one more effort to divide us. They aren't about health, or we'd be doing more than wearing a mask. They're about division. In the U.S. I expect to see them become MORE divisive after the election, regardless of who wins.

In the meantime: reasonable people will continue to act reasonably, so that we can keep working and keep paying into the system that so many are relying so heavily on right now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

TRP 08-09-2020 07:13 AM

Thank God nobody asked you to wear any of those other masks, you'd really be put out.

Those masks protect the WEARER from damaging his lings/brain/mucus membranes.

The face mask people are being asked to wear is to keep your germs yours and my germs mine.

Ask not what your country can do for you... But what you can do for your country. Or... Something.

TRP 08-09-2020 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 622170)
How about instead; love your neighbor. Care fur each other. Make an effort to understand them, where they come from, why they feel the way they do? What life experience has led them to see things differently from you?

In the meantime: reasonable people will continue to act reasonably, so that we can keep working and keep paying into the system that so many are relying so heavily on right now.

Amen to those words...

:cheers:

Starter986 08-09-2020 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRP (Post 622171)
Thank God nobody asked you to wear any of those other masks, you'd really be put out.

Those masks protect the WEARER from damaging his lings/brain/mucus membranes.

The face mask people are being asked to wear is to keep your germs yours and my germs mine.

Ask not what your country can do for you... But what you can do for your country. Or... Something.

:ah:

Keyword: Asked. I wouldn't wear them under a mandate. **************** 'em. If it came to that I'd just send someone else to do m shopping.

Protect the wearer? Pfffffffft. I enjoy a healthy immune system... I'm willing to take the risk. The rest can stay home or, again, send someone else out to do their shopping.

maytag 08-09-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRP (Post 622168)
You aren't being asked to pay your neighbors bills... Or feed his family. .

Ummm, actually, yes, that is EXACTLY what I'm being asked to do. All of these "stimulus" checks; You know who's paying for that? Trillions of dollars (demanded by those who complain the loudest about the national debt) being paid by those of us who choose to keep working instead of taking the easy route.

But keep up your shaming of others.... see if it convinces anyone, or if it pushes those who are on the fence to the other side.

Talk about embarrassing behavior? Physician heal thyself.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk