Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Opinions on Audi

I am helping my sister find a new car. She has prioritized handling and reliability, and is interested in the Audi A3 Sportback or Q3 crossover suv. She wants a luxury car that is about the size of her current Mini Countryman, but doesn't have a lot of features she won't ever use, like AWD. (She just spent $5k repairing the AWD on her Mini and she has never needed/used it.)

I always thought Audi had a bad reputation but that seems to have changed from what I have been reading. Does anyone have opinions on the reliability and long term quality of Audi? She is hoping to keep the car for at least 7 years.

Thanks, -Rick

Old 06-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #2

There are alot of Audi autos on the road here, especially the small A3. Have no experience in reliability, but I have a voltswagen and basically Audi is the luxery version of Voltswagen.

Our car has been great, bought it for my wife who doesnt drive it far. But only issue was the horn failed replaced in warranty. Great gas milage.

I have a friend has an A5 is his second Audi, after the first got totaled. I would definately consider an Audi, since this is opinion based.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #3

Garage
I am the original owner of a 2006 Audi A4, 2.0T, 6speed manual; It has 140000 smiles. Here in Colorado the AWD of the Audi is perfect from Oct/Nov through April, but is awesome any day because at high altitude the Turbo makes up for the thinner air particularly when I head for the mountains.

I would buy another Audi any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Every Audi I've driven understeered excessively.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

I've bought and sold 4 Audis as a Wheeler Dealer. The newest and nicest one was a 2010 TT convertible with 53K mi. It was a very nice car. Like any car company, Audi has its issues. I think the biggest of them is the timing belt, that MUST be changed at 80K mi or you risk valve damage if it breaks. But changing the timing belt and water pump would be a long way down the road if you buy new. And just like any premium German auto, maintenance and parts are expensive on Audis.

But I have found them to be good and fun autos. Don't think your sister would go wrong with a A3. I have been looking for an A3 as a WD car, but they hold their value very well and don't seem to have many for sale needing a lot of work.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks for the advice everyone! She drove an A3 and the Q3 and it sounds like she is going to pickup a 2016 Q3 with about 20k miles tomorrow. She is used to expensive parts/maintenance from her Mini which is basically a BMW. I appreciate all of the input, I will let her know about the timing belt. I'm not sure she drives aggressively enough to notice any understeer.