Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2018, 06:30 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

When you open Car&Driver and see your letter published...

I had a bit of surprise when I read the letters to the editor in the Feb, 2018 issue of Car & Driver.

The backstory of that letter is that after investing 7 years, 125 track days, and more money than I want to admit into improving my driving/racing skills, the last thing that I wanted to read about was how autonomous cars would replace driving...

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #2

Hey I saw that and wanted to ask if that was you. I was pretty certain when I read it and forgot to ask you. Your comments gave me a good laugh.

I grew up in Pasadena and my wife and I when we first married lived in South Pasadena up on the hill above the old Pasadena power plant. I spent a lot of time as a kid visiting Rusnak Porsche when old town Pasadena was a part of town you avoided.

Thanks for the laugh.

Thomas
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Hey I saw that and wanted to ask if that was you. I was pretty certain when I read it and forgot to ask you. Your comments gave me a good laugh.

I grew up in Pasadena and my wife and I when we first married lived in South Pasadena up on the hill above the old Pasadena power plant. I spent a lot of time as a kid visiting Rusnak Porsche when old town Pasadena was a part of town you avoided.

Thanks for the laugh.

Thomas
Wow, small world. The hill you mention is commonly called Raymond Hill and I run by there 3 or 4 times a week. I live in a 105 yr old Craftsman house in the Marengo area.

And yes, I remember it well when Old Town Pasadena was to be avoided before it became a mecca for hipster shoppers!

And I'm glad that you got a laugh out of my comment - it was supposed to elicit that response. I was worried that it might sound a bit too harsh but wanted to get C&D's attention and it seems that it worked.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 02-24-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #4

Garage
I got published in Car and Driver too, many years ago. My first letter ever sent. It related to the demographic of what car manufacturers were trying to address to save innocent children left in hot cars after a spate of incidents. The demographic was pertaining to idiots. The government was looking at measures to automatically lower windows or other measures and C/D covered it. You can’t cure stupid acts by adults.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #5

Very cool

I had a letter published in Rainbow magazine back in the day (early 80's maybe?), it was a magazine dedicated to the TRS-80 color computer. My address was included and I got pen pals from all over the world, pretty neat for a 13-14 year old.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Wow, small world. The hill you mention is commonly called Raymond Hill and I run by there 3 or 4 times a week. I live in a 105 yr old Craftsman house in the Marengo area.

And yes, I remember it well when Old Town Pasadena was to be avoided before it became a mecca for hipster shoppers!

And I'm glad that you got a laugh out of my comment - it was supposed to elicit that response. I was worried that it might sound a bit too harsh but wanted to get C&D's attention and it seems that it worked.
Our first house was also a craftsmen built in 1900. Speaking of Raymond Hill, you ever frequent Crown City brewery on Raymond Rd? They were one of the first micro breweries in the area. They were open for years and closed right around the time the whole microbrew thing took off.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Speaking of Raymond Hill, you ever frequent Crown City brewery on Raymond Rd? They were one of the first micro breweries in the area. They were open for years and closed right around the time the whole microbrew thing took off.
Yes, I used to visit Crown City Brewery often! It was a great place for both food and a good beer!
1979 911 SC
Old 05-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #8

Garage
Congrats on getting published! Backfires might be my favorite part of C&D.

FoxRvrBox is offline   Reply With Quote