Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
still plays with cars...

Garage
Countertop replacement

We're looking at replacing the kitchen countertops, getting rid of the arborite and using quartz in its place. We lokked into granite, but it's way too busy considering how much texture is in the backsplash.

The pics may mot show it well, but the left sample is a light tan colour, the middle is dark tan and grey and the right sample is a light grey.
Suggestions?
No I'm no replacing the backsplash. It goes too well with the cabinets.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #2

Based on the pictures, i would vote for the light gray. It looks like it works well with the grout on the backsplash and brings a bit of light into things. Tough call using pictures though, colour doesn't always show through properly.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:05 AM   #3

Frankly I like what you have now. Colour, pattern, tones all match great.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

The one dark gray one in the middle.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
@ Wallace River,
What we have works well, I agree, but there's a small area on the corner seam where the finish has started to wear off. It's pissed me off for a couple of years now.
We're looking to list the place for sale, and for what others are going for in the area, it would be appropriate to upgrade to granite or quartz for most WOW factor.

@Porsche9
I agree, I'd like to maintain a similar colouring and prefer the dark grey/wet clay colour countertop.
My wife really wants to change the room's whole effect, but I really don't want anything to do with tearing out all the backsplash. The bottom picture only shows a third of the entire amount.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
Old 02-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #6

Find the biggest granite fabricator / installer in your area...typically there are only 2 or 3 per region and everyone else sources from them. Then ask them the most popular current color style/choices which coordinate w/ your kitchen. Dollars to donuts they'll have tons (literally - ha!) of remnants from large jobs where someone adamantly insisted on whole pieces (and pays dearly for it). They'll then digitally arrange pieces to work for your set-up. Your application w/o too many large side by side sections (i.e. opposite sides of stove, etc.) based on pictures, will be perfect for them to make a few $ on what otherwise is scrap. They'll hide your seams exceptionally to point a great installer will have to point out to you where they are.

You'll save a ton versus spec and get benefits of granite vs quartz (probably cost less than quartz too - at least ours did in two spare baths). The bigger the fabricator/installer the better off you'll be price wise. If you're nice enough they'll probably even let you into shop to pick pieces . BTW, ask at your local big box home improvement center or warehouse club (Home Depot, Lowe's, Costco, etc.) who they use - that'll typically be largest dependable fabricator in region.

Good luck
Old 03-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #7

Garage
I you are going to replace the counter top for another dark color that is close to what you have you might as well not spend the money and keep what you have. If you put a very light color your wife will probably hate you because everything shows on a light color and she will spend her time cleaning the counter tops. If you go with granite there is no warranty and you really have to be careful not to break it as it is not a very thick material. I have seen women cleaning the top of there cupboards and getting on the counter tops and breaking them. The best is to go with what your wife decides.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #8

Since you are going to list the home for sale it really does not matter what you like. Pick what is going to be attractive to the most buyers possible at the lowest cost possible. The money you spend on a stone counter top is likely not going to be fully recouped in the sales price but it will net benefits in helping to sell the house more quickly. Find yourself a really good Realtor (9.5 out of 10 are pretty worthless) to help you decide on what should be done to the house to net you the best financial result while selling in a reasonable amount of time. Real Estate is local so a good Realtor or someone who knows your local market can go a long way to net you a positive outcome. Take my unsolicited advice for what it's worth but I know a little more then the average person having been actively involved in residential real estate as a investor for over 20 years.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Since you are going to list the home for sale it really does not matter what you like. Pick what is going to be attractive to the most buyers possible at the lowest cost possible. The money you spend on a stone counter top is likely not going to be fully recouped in the sales price but it will net benefits in helping to sell the house more quickly. Find yourself a really good Realtor (9.5 out of 10 are pretty worthless) to help you decide on what should be done to the house to net you the best financial result while selling in a reasonable amount of time. Real Estate is local so a good Realtor or someone who knows your local market can go a long way to net you a positive outcome. Take my unsolicited advice for what it's worth but I know a little more then the average person having been actively involved in residential real estate as a investor for over 20 years.
Where BoxsterSteve lives - all he has to do is put a sign out front written in Crayon and he'll have a bidding war going on in no time. Hot HOt HOT market.

Dude, like Porsche9 said - why even change it, you won't make any more money and your house is awesome, will sell in no time. List it for a Million and then offer the buyer $5000 cash back to put in their own, preferred counter top. You could have it installed and then it's all there for them when they move in.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
still plays with cars...

Garage
The contractor I had lined up to do the job refused to trim the backsplash and wanted to butt the new granite up against it.
I can't stand not doing the job properly, so out she comes.

Just shattering it with a 16oz framing hammer and picking off the bits still adhering and not losing much of the original wall in the process. What spots I do lose will get muddled full and sealed before the new tile goes up.

The boss, aka the wife, picked this for the new countertop.
And it should really brighten up the kitchen with a white or cream traditional tile backsplash to go with it.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #11
still plays with cars...

Garage
I had to go all Wreck-It Ralph in the end.

Probably for the best to do it right. What a mess, though. The wife is going to lose her mind.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #12

I studied design for a few years. I always tell people to go with the most neutral counter top. If you later decide to change up the backsplash and resurface the cabinets you'll have more choices.

I like the look of polished concrete with light colored cabinets and a bright backsplash, especially in a small space.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
still plays with cars...

Garage
And finally on the home stretch.

A ton of work for sure, but wow, what a difference.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:05 AM   #14

Wow! Looks like it brightened up the kitchen quite a bit. Nice work!
Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
still plays with cars...

Garage
A lot of work to pimp the place out to sell it.
Did the main floor powder room at the same time too.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #16

Nice job! After all that work, it'd be a shame to leave the house without having time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. At least you can go out knowing you did the right thing. I just hope your new house is as well maintained.

Dave
Old 07-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #17
still plays with cars...

Garage
We're doing our retirement downsizing about a decade early.
Did pretty well selling our 11 year old place as the market was just nuts at the time and has since cooled off noticeably.
Don't know why we built as big as we did; didn't ever really need 2700 square feet.
Moving out of the city (10 minutes) to a 7 year old 1540 square foot raised bungalow we stumbled onto as a private sale.
It's in amazing shape, all professionally done inside and out. Even the lower level is completely finished and has 9' ceilings.
Looking forward to getting out of the city.