986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What's with all the ads now?? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53499)

stateofidleness 08-01-2014 10:51 PM

What's with all the ads now??

Seriously, on a new thread, you get bombarded with the banner ad at the top, an ad placed below the original post, and a "Reply" post that is an ad... wow... kinda "in your face" no?

Or is it just on my screen? lol :matchup:

Burg Boxster 08-02-2014 10:36 AM

What ads?

pssst...

adblockerplus.org

;)

stateofidleness 08-02-2014 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I do use AdBlocker, and the ads even have a porsche avatar so it must be the site no?

check it:

78F350 08-02-2014 11:35 AM

I just use 'host list' blocking and I don't get any of that. Maybe your browser has a parasitic toolbar or add-on.

CraigM 08-02-2014 05:55 PM

Wow. Only one I get is the header... Don't know what's up with yours.

Mark at Pelican Parts 08-11-2014 09:38 AM

There is a new ad which appears in the first and last post per page but if you log-in, the ads disappear.

Mark/Pelican Parts

JayG 08-11-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark at Pelican Parts (Post 414127)
There is a new ad which appears in the first and last post per page but if you log-in, the ads disappear.

Mark/Pelican Parts

nope, the ads are there even if you are logged in

BIGJake111 08-11-2014 03:49 PM

Doesn't hurt to disable Adblock on sites like this to help pay for the sites upkeep. It is very useful when ads are Intrusive. But sites like this it's supportive to turn it off.

jb92563 08-14-2014 11:29 AM

The information age is really smacking it to us with a vengance.

I saw a 60 minutes episode on Data collection practices of “Marketing” firms and was appalled at what goes on, and how they will quickly
know everything about you simply based on data collected from various sources.

The Data Brokers: Selling your personal information - CBS News

Apparently even protected medical data gets collected through a variety of data harvesting methods without your explicit permission.

You can go here to opt-out of Internet Banners, Direct Mail and Phone advertising and to find out
what information they already have on you.

Epsilon | Consumer Preference Center

I was surprised to learn that on my home firefox web browser there were 114 data collection companies actively monitoring
all my selections and entries on web pages and selling that data to anyone that wanted it.

I removed them all and opted out of everything.

You might want to check this out before big brother comes knocking on your door. ;-)

pacified 10-16-2014 08:39 PM

It is all about gaining profit and having something in return. ADS seem to be irritating meat times when I find it in the actual thread page. Why not put it in a separate page instead?