986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Forum friendship requests (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38059)

RandallNeighbour 11-15-2012 11:44 AM

Forum friendship requests

This is a very odd new feature of this web site... why do I need to be friends with certain people? Does it give us better access to one another somehow?

No offense to those who have sent me friend requests... I just don't understand how this feature is going to be useful to anyone.

coolbreeze551 11-15-2012 01:18 PM

Makes me think of facebook and that it's people you don't really know but you have them as "friends"... I think it's a feature for people who either talk quite a bit or a feature just to make you feel good about yourself... That's just my opinion :)

Homeboy981 11-15-2012 02:53 PM

As a relative noob to the board, and only a few hundred posts, with a lot of friends...I'll try to answer why I starting sending Friend Requests, to compensate for not having a life. Just kidding! :p

I am trying to track "the Boxster Fun Business" the way I do Contacts in Business. So I can contact people without having to remember who it was I had a thread with. Makes it easier for me. It just seemed like a cool way to meet people! I have found that most people here share a common bound so great that it transcends words. So in essence we are 'all friends' here because we have this fabulous car in common.

Funny note: You can send a 'friend' just about anyone on the board…cause we all like to BE friendly, @RandallNeighbour - you HAVE neighbour (european spelling) in your name, I KNOW you understand. :D By far the hardest person to receive a friend response from is Wayne at Pelican. Had a friend request in for months! And if that is the ONLY thing I can knock him for, that's pretty good! He answers calls, emails, etc. - so no biggie!

We are only given a max of 300 PM messages, at first that seemed like a lot but with multiple problems being solved, multiple projects to do, DIYs, people I have helped, peeps who have spent time helping me…..it is just an easy way to keep track of folks. I have had to delete many messages several times already. Wish we had more PM space.

…maybe I need to get a life! Thanks anyway for being a friend, whether you answer the request or not!

Meeting in person is a lot more fun than talking about it anyway.

So let's meet and talk about the car in person, then maybe we can be real friends! My $.02.

Eric G 11-15-2012 05:44 PM

A standard feature of this version of software. Being on many forums, this is used heavily on some sites and minimally on others. This site it tends to be rarely used. When I first joined I sent FR to folks and got some terse responses (no biggie) as they "don't do friendship requests" All depends on the style of folks using the site.

RandallNeighbour 11-15-2012 07:32 PM

This is a funny thread.

Johnny Danger 11-16-2012 04:26 AM

Gee, I've sent out numerous requests for "Friends", and no one has responded ? Is there something wrong with me ?

ekam 11-16-2012 05:47 AM

Why don't you want to be my friend Randall? I am your friend right?

Flavor 987S 11-16-2012 06:50 AM

Randall, you are my BFF.

tony_fury 11-16-2012 07:19 AM

I don't need no stinking friends.. I have myself, that's all I need..:p
+1 what Eric said..
Some forums use them a lot, I found it useful when working with a common project.

I think we are all friends until one pisses in the others weaties..:eek:

Johnny Danger 11-16-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony_fury (Post 312863)
I don't need no stinking friends.. I have myself, that's all I need..:p
+1 what Eric said..
Some forums use them a lot, I found it useful when working with a common project.

I think we are all friends until one pisses in the others weaties..:eek:

I just want to be loved ! Is that so wrong ?

Topless 11-16-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 312869)
I just want to be loved ! Is that so wrong ?

It's not you personally JD. Some of us are just allergic to yellow. :)

Johnny Danger 11-16-2012 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 312870)
It's not you personally JD. Some of us are just allergic to yellow. :)

It hasn't stopped this powerful crime fighter any !

milliemax 11-16-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 312848)
Why don't you want to be my friend Randall? I am your friend right?

Me too Randall !!!, I have reached out to you many times only to get the cold shoulder. I am sooooo hurt. JD, you have always been nice. Max

RandallNeighbour 11-16-2012 04:51 PM

Max, you're full of crap. But I mean that in a good way.

Flavor, you are my hero!

Eric G 11-16-2012 05:39 PM

OK all you whiners...I just sent FR requests to all of you! Let's see where this goes!

Except Johnny...he is a true friend already!

Johnny Danger 11-16-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric G (Post 312935)
OK all you whiners...I just sent FR requests to all of you! Let's see where this goes!

Except Johnny...he is a true friend already!

You complete me !

Eric G 11-16-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 312937)
You complete me !

...and you me.

milliemax 11-17-2012 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 312931)
Max, you're full of crap. But I mean that in a good way.

Flavor, you are my hero!

Randall, Really ??? I was one of the first to sincerely compliment you and your skills in woodworking. Your pens are museum quality. You are a master wood turner. I hope sometime in the furure you will like me also. With best regards, Crap Max

milliemax 11-21-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milliemax (Post 312982)
Randall, Really ??? I was one of the first to sincerely compliment you and your skills in woodworking. Your pens are museum quality. You are a master wood turner. I hope sometime in the furure you will like me also. With best regards, Crap Max

Jeeeeezzzzz, was it something I said Randall ???? Truely yours, with best regards, Max