986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone Bicycling? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36553)

JAAY 07-29-2012 08:22 AM

Anyone Bicycling?

Anyone into road race bicycling? Thinking about getting into it at a beginner level. Looking for suggestions on a bike and any other advice.:cheers:

san rensho 07-29-2012 08:46 AM

I used to race many years ago, but I still get out riding 2-4 times a week.

Find out where the group rides are in your area and then ride with them. The good riders in the group will be more than happy to coach a beginner. They will probably kick your butt in the beginning, but after a while you'll be able to keep up. Nothing more motivating than seeing a wheel up ahead that you have to catch or be dropped from the group.

As far as bikes go, you can get a good race bike for well under $2k new. My choice would be a Cannondale Caad 10, with a Shimano 105 group. The frame has great geometry for criterium or road racing and the 105 is functionally the same as the higher priced Shimano groups.

Have fun.

JAAY 07-29-2012 08:57 AM

Thanks for the details. I will check out that bike. I'll keep you posted

2003S 07-29-2012 09:01 AM

I bought an entry level Trek Road bike about 5 years ago when I started getting into Triathlon, and am very happy with it. It's got less carbon than the higher end ones, but with an aluminum frame, and carbon fork / seat post, it's still quite light, and certainly not the weakest link in my cycling leg.

Entry level Trek goes for around $750 -- I have had 0 problems with it.

You can spend a lot of money to get a lighter bike, but as my trainer says, he can see far better opportunity for weight reductions for me without looking to equipment, if you know what I mean... :P

And like cars, if you wait until the new models come out, most bike shops discount last year's model to move them...

Johnny Danger 07-29-2012 09:51 AM

Here's an interesting thread from a few weeks ago. One word of note, whether you're purchasing an entry level road bike or one that costs 20k+, proper fit is crucial ! Unfortunately, not only do most bike shops lack skill and knowledge when it comes to fit optimization, very few will spend the time necessary to educate and assist the entry level customer . Having said that, I'd be more than happy to assist anyone here with my years of knowledge and experience . The only catch is that you have to ask me on my newly launched site . :)

Capo Velo Road Bikes + Forums + Community + Market Place

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/36187-any-serious-cyclists.html

JAAY 07-30-2012 05:40 AM

Danger! I'm on your other forum. I posted under show your bike or something like that. There doesn't seem to be a general section or newbie or anything that I could see.

Johnny Danger 07-30-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAAY (Post 299643)
Danger! I'm on your other forum. I posted under show your bike or something like that. There doesn't seem to be a general section or newbie or anything that I could see.

I moved your thread to the correct category. Welcome abroad !

nieuwhzn 07-31-2012 08:39 PM

Bike riding on Long Island? Surely you're kidding? It's always open season for bicyclists here!

JAAY 08-01-2012 12:54 PM

Nieuwhzn, where on LI are you? I'm out in Shoreham.

bar10dah 08-01-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAAY (Post 299570)
Anyone into road race bicycling?

I don't road race, but I ride a road bike. In fact, I also ride a mountain bike.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but check out the reviews on USA Pro Challenge, Road Bike Reviews, Cycling Gear, Maintenance, Fitness, Training | Bicycling Magazine for entry level bikes.

nieuwhzn 08-01-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAAY (Post 299911)
Nieuwhzn, where on LI are you? I'm out in Shoreham.

I'm at the other end of William Floyd Parkway.......Shirley.