Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #1

speeding ticket, should i get a lawyer?

I was pulled over and received a ticket today for 81 in a 70. It was on the interstate passing through a small town in eastern Texas. I'll admit, i was actually speeding, and 81 sounds accurate. I wasn't driving recklessly, and was in a pack of 3 other cars going the same speed. The ticket said the speed measurement used was radar (v-9).

Would i benefit from getting a lawyer for this?

Any normal person would probably just pay the $165 fee and go on with life, but I'm a paramedic and if I move or apply to a different county, speeding tickets aren't looked upon favorably when it comes to driving emergency vehicles.

Here's the catch. I can't show up for the court date (2 ft jobs far away), so is there anything a lawyer could do for me long distance.

I have Oregon plates and insurance, how likely is my insurance to find out about a Texas speeding ticket?

fedekz986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #2

find out first if there is reciprocity b/w your state and TX. A friendly local agent (aka not some green lizard govt employee insurance co, or progressive agent) will be able to tell you. If no reciprocity, just pay it and move on...

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
^^^This...
Old 01-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #4

Cost of addmission. Pay and move on.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #5

Imho

Your insurance company will find out, guaranteed. Get a lawyer who works in the courts where the ticket was written. He'll know the judge and the local prosecutor. They will probably change it to some sort of non-moving violation. That way the court gets money and you don't get a moving violation. Ten years in the Texas court system -- I know what I'm talking about.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Matt

Nope. You are either from that region and can go to court, or not going back to deal with it. If you are going to pay via mail, there's usually a box for you to pay and have the ticket lowered to a lesser charge.

If you are going to "deal" with it in person, go in on your first appearance and sit down with the town/city attorney. While there, they will offer a lesser charge if you will plead guilty, as this is a very small infraction you have committed. Plea to a non-moving violation a la defective equipment or similar and you'll have no record of the moving violation. That's the only thing your insurance company cares about. That should do it. If not, and it worries you, you can plead not-guilty and it will be set for trial in 30 days allowing you to bring an attorney with you if you want. If you hire an attorney up front they will simply do what I described for you to do. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #7

Garage
Use Rick Perry's name .