Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2024, 06:33 PM   #1

Convertible Top Transmission Mounting Issues

Hello, I am a new owner of a first gen boxster. I recently purchase a car with what I am now finding out might be a bigger issue. The clam shell and top have had some trauma and both the push rod and strut on the passenger side are damaged/bent. This also resulted in the steel arm that is bolted to the transmission to bend as well. I have replaced the arms/struts and push rods. It appears by comparing the drivers side to the passenger side the transmission is out of alignment and does not sit vertically correct. I have taken measurements and the passenger is close to a half inch higher from the top of the mounting strut ball to the top of the rubber that runs on top of the metal to seal the clam shell. I have pulled the transmission mounting studs and they are not bent in anyway. Is it possible that the metal that the studs screw into could have been pulled out and therefore not allowing the transmission to sit vertically and allows the bottom of the transmission to kickout a bit? If anyone had a photo of the area showing the mounting studs screwed into the metal I could make a comparison.

Last edited by Boxwein; 04-07-2024 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Update Title
Boxwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:34 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It's not exactly what you are looking for, but bookmark these two pages as a good reference for the top:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/BODY_Convertible_Top_Gear_Replacement/BODY_Convertible_Top_Gear_Replacement.htm
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaincereplacement

It is possible to bend the metal where the top transmissions mount, but takes a lot of force. I can get some pictures on Wednesday if nobody else can help before then. Welcome to the Forum.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:57 PM   #3

Thank you, I have had couple of people look at the car and it appears clear that the mounting area has been pulled out of shape. If you end up with a photo or two, I would greatly appreciate it.
Boxwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:42 AM   #4

Garage
Here's where a transmission was mounted (left side):

Here's where it mounts with everything removed (right side, different car):

Here's the back side of the plate that it mounts to (right side), part of body cut away. Probably accessible with side vent duct removed:
Old 04-10-2024, 11:51 AM   #5

Garage
If it is damaged too much to make the repair practical, converting the top to manual operation by removing the linkages is not difficult. Easier than the repairs you have already done.
Stuck Convertible Top - Manual operation... - 986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners