Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #1

New/old Boxster

Been a member for a while, just never had a Boxster. Now we do. We have a 2003 base with 109K miles. When we got it last year, it was in terrible shape. Loose vacuum hoses, needing a complete and thorough tune up, needing a new top, new exhaust, seats repaired, sound system(stock was crap), heater box and heater/ac flapper repair, tires shot. So, we spent massive amounts of money and finally got it right. Ran like a top, smooth and handled like a dream. Had many a sports cars in my life but this car handled and drove better than anything I've ever driven. It was fun to drive.
After we got it back from mechanic, about a couple of weeks later, this happened. When taking off, oh, it's a tiptronic(sorry), in second gear, felt a 'chunk' in the rear end like, then it went from 2nd gear to 4th gear and would not change gears unless I put it into Park. Started back home, scanned the OBD and it said torque converter and shift solenoid error. So, cleared the codes and it shifted fine. Then it did it again about 2-3 weeks later. Cleared the codes, it was fine, again. Day or so later, did it again. Cleared codes, took off and right after, it did it again. Then had the car taken to Eurotech in Knoxville. They said it was 1 liter low on trans fluid. They put another liter in and said all codes were gone. It was driven back 150 miles to us, getting up to 100 mph. No problems at all. We get the car, a few days of driving, no problems. Then all of a sudden, pulling out in 2nd gear, it happened again. 2nd to 4th. Pulled off, turned if off, then back on, the red light flashing between 4th and D was off. So, started it again and took off. Immediately, it went from 2nd to 4th with a 'clunk'. Evidently it wasn't because of a liter low on fluid. I had my mini OBD scanner with me and pulled right off, plugged scanner in and same two codes, torque converter and **************** solenoid. Cleared the codes and it drove home perfectly. Got home, parked it and called Eurotech. They said probably need a new shift solenoid. $1200. Called Rick Hill Porsche, they said I need a new transmission, $12,000. Now, I'm here asking if anyone has ever experienced such a thing with their tiptronic base. Our former mechanic said it was a ghost error that just pops up, "it's a Porsche thing". Anyone ever had a problem like this, ever heard of a problem like this?
When pulling out, in Drive, 2nd gear, rear end 'clunks', then immediately, shift to 4th gear and will not shift back into 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. I can move the shifter and it of course goes into Park or Reverse. Cannot manually shift either. I can't pay $12000 for a transmission, really cannot afford shift solenoid(at least not now). Any suggestions? TIA.

RacingDreamz is offline   Reply With Quote