Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2020, 10:43 AM   #1

My First Porsche

I am new to Porsche ... never driven or took a joy ride in one ... but I love projects. Attached is a photo of my new project. 1997 Porsche Boxster. I did not buy it to make money on fixer upper, I just have a yen for fixing vehicles and since I have never been down the Porsche lane ... I am going to have fun. It looks bad, but is in fairly "good" shape overall. It has been sitting in an offsite lot for the last 2 and 1/2 years and was covered in dust. I will be posting questions as I bring her back to life so you might be hearing from me for the next 6 months.

freserf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #2

Garage
That certainly looks like a project! Does it run and drive?
Old 12-09-2020, 07:28 AM   #3

Well ... it made it to my garage from the street. While I am busy completing normal maintenance items, I have been researching common issues for this model year. The previous owner said something about a possible Variocam solenoid and it has misfires on bank 1. Since I did not want to drive it out on the road yet, I was learning about the flat six and how it was designed. Definitely different from the standard V6. As you can see parts were robbed for other vehicles so I made a list of everything that needed to be replaced and another for things I would like to shine up a little. Learned very quick that parts can be overpriced a little. Just finished a 2009 S550 project and even though Mercedes can be pricey ... Porsche has them beat.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freserf View Post
Well ... it made it to my garage from the street. While I am busy completing normal maintenance items, I have been researching common issues for this model year. The previous owner said something about a possible Variocam solenoid and it has misfires on bank 1. Since I did not want to drive it out on the road yet, I was learning about the flat six and how it was designed. Definitely different from the standard V6. As you can see parts were robbed for other vehicles so I made a list of everything that needed to be replaced and another for things I would like to shine up a little. Learned very quick that parts can be overpriced a little. Just finished a 2009 S550 project and even though Mercedes can be pricey ... Porsche has them beat.
This will be a fun project, for sure.
I'm parting-out an '03 right now. Not everything changes over to a 97, bust most things do. Send me your list, I'll see what I can help you with. I've been trying to sell stuff for about 75% of what you'd pay on ebay. (-ish) but let's see if we can help you out even more than that.

What part of the world are you in?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:58 AM   #5

99663103500 - drivers side corner light
98650555403 - right passenger bumper grille complete ... I have the 2003 bumper cover
98650555303 - left driver bumper grille complete ... I have the 2003 bumper cover
Porsche CD Radio with plugs and wire or harness and antenna cable ... someone did a smash and grab job removing the radio ... just cut everything including the antenna cable that runs to the booster.

That's the last little things on my list for now ...
Old 12-11-2020, 04:57 AM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freserf View Post
99663103500 - drivers side corner light
98650555403 - right passenger bumper grille complete ... I have the 2003 bumper cover
98650555303 - left driver bumper grille complete ... I have the 2003 bumper cover
Porsche CD Radio with plugs and wire or harness and antenna cable ... someone did a smash and grab job removing the radio ... just cut everything including the antenna cable that runs to the booster.

That's the last little things on my list for now ...
I might be able to help with the radio item. Dou you have the BOSE system? it's apparently wired differently from the rest, and that's the one I have.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:32 AM   #7

996-645-129-03 ... Becker CD Radio ...
They left the Becker faceplate box ... but it looks like they installed a Kenwood BT stereo in its place. Found the remote control for it under the passenger seat.

So, it looks like it was a Becker system with Nokia speakers ... at least in the doors.

Do you have an Arctic Silver rear trunk lid? Mine is a little dented from years of misuse.

I have one line on the wiring harness ... so I may go that route assuming the engine runs fine today.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:48 AM   #8

Garage
Looks like an awesome project. Definitely should be fun. Hopefully you bring her back to her full life.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #9

Update

Just wanted to give an update still being a newbie. I am waiting on a few more parts and it should be ready for the road within the next few weeks. It has been a good learning experience so far.

Old 01-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #10

Garage
Thumbs up

It`s looking good, good job.

986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote